shape
carat
color
clarity

pearl studs

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm making a new thread because nobody seemed to answer my question correctly. Although you guys were very nice with your suggestions.

So here goes. Excluding size, would you rather have natural white hanadama studs or white south seas. Please choose one and tell me why you chose it. Thanks. :wavey:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about natural hanadamas, but excluding size as a factor, I'd rather have hanadamas because I prefer their harder luster over the softer luster of south sea pearls (unless natural hanadamas have different luster than regular hanadamas, I'm not sure why you're saying it's the other way around).

Also, although you just mentioned "akoyas" in your original post on your other thread and not hanadama akoyas, since hanadamas are certified akoyas, I'd know they didn't have thin nacre that might wear off over time far easier than that of the south sea pearls would. If they were just generic akoyas and not hanadamas, I might pick the south sea pearls instead because of that.

White south sea pearls come in a range of shades and overtones; they're not all stark white so I'm not sure where that came from, either. Color and overtone are not the same thing as luster. And, in practical terms, it's more difficult to find akoyas in larger sizes and south sea pearls in smaller sizes.

Also, fwiw if you look at the question you actually asked in your last thread, I think we did answer it. Or else I'm just completely confused.

Q

Queenie60

I vote for the hanadamas. I like the soft glow of them more so than the stark white of the SS pearls.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Seaurchin. Thanks for the info. I guess I'm the one confused, and if I offended anyone, my apologies. I didn't know WSS pearls have a thicker nacre, which helps in my decision.

Queenie60. Thank you for answering. If I could I'd get both.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
White south sea pearls. The others are not worth the money to me.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have metallic white studs in 3 sizes so am not in the market for either akoya or WSS studs at this time.

If I had no white pearl studs and had no plans to buy a strand to go with them, and if I didn't specifically want large pearl earrings, I would buy natural white hanadama akoyas for their sharp luster and colorful natural overtones.

However, size does matter for me, so if I could only have one pair, I would buy the WSS in the best luster available. PP had some WSS from Burma that were highly lustrous. I'd go for those.
Also if there were some chance I might want a matching strand someday, I'd get the WSS.

WSS have thicker nacre than akoyas, yes, but in earrings the pearl isn't even in direct contact with skin. I can't think what might make the nacre of a pearl earring wear away over time. I think it's a non-issue.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1456624586|3996799 said:
WSS have thicker nacre than akoyas, yes, but in earrings the pearl isn't even in direct contact with skin. I can't think what might make the nacre of a pearl earring wear away over time. I think it's a non-issue.

Ah, okay. I didn't know that thinner nacre wouldn't be a problem with earrings.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your help. As of right now I'm leaning towards WSS studs. I never really were into pearls, but man are they beautiful. Lovely, lustrous, glowing little orbs!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Again, I would choose the Akoyas. White SS have a satin lustre, and I prefer the crispness of the Akoya. Also, I like the way Akoya feel to the touch.

Regarding the nacre thickness, I have a pair of blue baroque Akoya stud earrings that I wore every day for years and years. I wore a little of the nacre away near the post -- but it took me over twenty years to do it. And the earrings still look great, I still wear them, because who's going to remove your earring and check the nacre near the post?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I have my grandmother's akoya necklace that was worn almost daily by both her and me for almost 60 years and I only just NOW replaced the necklace because the nacre was getting thin. And that's because the necklace was rubbing against skin, which earrings don't. Her matching earrings are still going strong. So I wouldn't worry about akoya earrings wearing out.

That said, I have natural white Hanadama necklace from PP in size 8 mm, and I would get studs in either 8 or 9 mm in a heartbeat if I wore studs. I prefer drops, myself. But the shine and orient on these pearls is just gorgeous.

I just don't like the satin white look and the huge size of the South Sea pearls, but that's just my personal preference. Yours might me different.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It seems like half prefer the akoyas and half like the WSS. So it looks like I'm back where I started. Since I cannot decide which ones to get, I will probably get the natural white hanadamas this year as an early anniversary gift and next year hint to my hubby about possibility getting WSS studs. Thanks for all the advice as I'm new to pearls. You all are terrible enablers :naughty: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results