shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Stud sizes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
I''m thinking about purchasing a pair of pearl studs for my MIL & aunt for mother''s day. Both lovely ladies are in their 60s with fair skin and are between 5''2"-5''"4. I don''t own pearls & I''m at a loss at what size would be best for them. I''m hoping to get something that would be noticable & make a classy statement without being overboard HUGE, ykwim? I''m going to go with white/silver or rose tones, but have no clue how big to go.

Anyone have any pictures to share or can link to a site with size comparisons on the ear lobe?

Much Mahalo!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jukenpro,

I won't be getting my studs until later this week so I don't have any photos of my earrings yet but I ordered 7-8mm pearls and I'm just under 5 foot 3.

However, I found these images online. Hope they help!

[Link removed by Moderator] See forum policies.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''d say 8-9mm. Are they going to be freshwater ?

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
I''m thinking of going with pearl paradise, and trying the freshadamas. I''ve read good things about them and the price seems to be online with my budget!
25.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 1:21:21 PM
Author: innerkitten
I'd say 8-9mm. Are they going to be freshwater ?
ditto, mine are 8 mm
1.gif
I would love some 9 mms though. these are from pearl paradise.

IMGpear1168.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2009 8:00:45 PM
Author:Junkenpo

I''m thinking about purchasing a pair of pearl studs for my MIL & aunt for mother''s day. Both lovely ladies are in their 60s with fair skin and are between 5''2''-5''''4. I don''t own pearls & I''m at a loss at what size would be best for them. I''m hoping to get something that would be noticable & make a classy statement without being overboard HUGE, ykwim? I''m going to go with white/silver or rose tones, but have no clue how big to go.

Anyone have any pictures to share or can link to a site with size comparisons on the ear lobe?

Much Mahalo!

at least 8, and I''d probably go with 9 mm. Maybe 10.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 8mm and 10mm studs and I wear the 8''s a lot more. I like bigger studs on other people, but I find the 10''s to be too big for me most of the time. I''m 5''8".

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Just a thought, the shape of someone''s earlobe can make a big difference, too - if either has tiny lobes, a smaller size can have just as big a visual impact so maybe take a peek in person or at a photo . . . I have small lobes so I speak from experience!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention I am 5'4; I think you will be safe w/8mm but I agree w/babysteps on the ear lope size. Oh and Mahalo!
35.gif

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
ooo! skippy123 those are fabulous looking pearls! thanks for the pic, the visual really helps! i think that''s about the perfect size i pictured in my head!

can anyone indulge me with smaller or larger pearl studs? thanks!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So I don''t have pics yet but I just got my 8-9 mm Freshadama studs. I LOVE them. Such great quality and I love the size. For reference, I''m 5''1" and I have pretty small ears, so 8-9 is actually the biggest I could probably go. But for older women, I think it''s the more preferable size.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
BEG: I''d love to see your new earrings - get those pics up quick, woman!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
How sweet you are, Junkenpo, to think of your MIL and aunt. Here's a pic with a 6mm stud on the left, and an 8mm on the right. The 8mm is actually a button stud, but it will give you an idea of the size. The strand is 6mm, just for comparison, and I'm 5'3" - hope it helps.

Nothing like pearls with a hoodie, huh?! How classy of me.
41.gif

105CANON.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wear 7mm (I''m 5ft 10" and have fairly small ears).

I was in Mikimoto a few months ago getting some prices on stud earrings for a friend who wanted a birthday gift for a new girlfriend and they advised 7mm as a good classic size for studs.

My own feeling is that older people can carry off bigger sizes better, but I doubt I''d go over a 9mm.

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
cellantani: thanks so much for that comparison shot! the pearls are gorgeous.. the 6mm look delicate & feminine & the 8mm are classy & sass! I''m surprised how much a difference in apparent size looks! Just 2mm and it seems like a lot more pearl.

based on the images here and on the advice of you wonderful posters, i''ve decided on the 8-9mm from pearl paradise. I''ll be sure to take pics before i gift them, and hopefully they''ll let me take modeling shots as well! lol

i would like to request that folks continue to post their ear shots here because i think it''s great to have a thread showing the different sizes/colors in pearls as well as how they look on different lobes!

Thank you!
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 12:46:56 AM
Author: Junkenpo
cellantani: thanks so much for that comparison shot! the pearls are gorgeous.. the 6mm look delicate & feminine & the 8mm are classy & sass! I''m surprised how much a difference in apparent size looks! Just 2mm and it seems like a lot more pearl.

based on the images here and on the advice of you wonderful posters, i''ve decided on the 8-9mm from pearl paradise. I''ll be sure to take pics before i gift them, and hopefully they''ll let me take modeling shots as well! lol

i would like to request that folks continue to post their ear shots here because i think it''s great to have a thread showing the different sizes/colors in pearls as well as how they look on different lobes!

Thank you!
36.gif
Yay post pics when you get them!!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

Thank you!
36.gif
Thanks, Junkenpo! I think the 8-9mm is a great choice, and if I were buying for myself (a 40-something), that''s exactly the size I''d want. Are you getting them shipped to you? Maybe you should try them on first (and take pics).
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to tell you that I wear 7mm and I gave my mother 8mm for Christmas, all from PP. They are beautiful!

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Here are mine; they came in today! They''re approximately 7.65mm. When I first tried them on, my first reaction was they''re too big but I''m sure I''ll get used to them.
2.gif

IMG_4488.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 7:42:11 PM
Author: CDNinNYC
Here are mine; they came in today! They''re approximately 7.65mm. When I first tried them on, my first reaction was they''re too big but I''m sure I''ll get used to them.
2.gif
Those are gorgeous, and they don''t look too big at all!! I really, really love them. Do they have rose overtones?

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 7:57:16 PM
Author: cellentani

2.gif

Those are gorgeous, and they don''t look too big at all!! I really, really love them. Do they have rose overtones?

Thanks cellentani! They do have a rose/silver overtone. I hope it''s not too pink?!?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 8:33:23 PM

Date: 5/5/2009 7:57:16 PM
Author: cellentani

2.gif

Thanks cellentani! They do have a rose/silver overtone. I hope it''s not too pink?!?!
No, they are gorgeous! I have 7mm ones like that and bought my mother the 8mm ones. The rose is very, very subtle.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I just bought my mom and "grammy"
1.gif
each a pair of 7-8mm studs from pearlparadise. I''m broke at the moment and it''s all I could afford, but I hope they''re not too small.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Thank you!
36.gif

I''m sure they''ll love the 8-9 mm! I have the same size (8-9 mm Freshadamas from PearlParadise) and I love them. They are big, but at the same time, definitely wearable (and usually I wear them with jeans and casual top).

Here is an ear shot
1.gif

BEGFreshadamaStuds893a.jpg

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
Brown Eyed Girl: those are lovely! i think they''re a good size without being too "in your face", which is what i want.

I''m still waiting on my shipment.... PP was out-of-stock and had issues with a delayed shipment, so my order wasn''t shipped in time for mother''s day.
7.gif
However, they did send a pearl strand as an apology & "pre-gift" so that''s nice. I''m going to gift the necklace & the earrings to my MIL at the same time. Hopefully the double dose will sweeten the fact that it''s "belated".
12.gif

I''m going to try to edit & resize some photos, so hopefully I can come back with pics of the necklace.

CDNinNY... your earrings are fabulous too! I love how different sizes look so individual depending on the person''s lobes!

The studs are on their way to me...hopefully they''ll arrive tomorrow or wednesday.
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 2:00:47 AM
Brown Eyed Girl: those are lovely! i think they''re a good size without being too ''in your face'', which is what i want.

I''m still waiting on my shipment.... PP was out-of-stock and had issues with a delayed shipment, so my order wasn''t shipped in time for mother''s day.
7.gif
However, they did send a pearl strand as an apology & ''pre-gift'' so that''s nice. I''m going to gift the necklace & the earrings to my MIL at the same time. Hopefully the double dose will sweeten the fact that it''s ''belated''.
12.gif

I''m going to try to edit & resize some photos, so hopefully I can come back with pics of the necklace.

CDNinNY... your earrings are fabulous too! I love how different sizes look so individual depending on the person''s lobes!

The studs are on their way to me...hopefully they''ll arrive tomorrow or wednesday.
36.gif

Thanks Junkenpo! That''s too bad about the delays, but that''s wonderful that they sent you a strand! I think I wouldn''t mind too much if my shipments got delayed in that case....
2.gif
I hope they arrive soon though!

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
woo hoo!

I''m happy to say that UPS left a package on my doorstep today! The studs are in! yay! I opened them up & I gotta say that the 8-9mm is plenty big! I was taken aback by the size, but those pearls are suuuure purty!

There''s definitely a "glow" to them that the strand lacked. I >>
30.gif
<< the way they look. I''m almost tempted to keep the 2nd pair & look for something else for my auntie.... lol...

The only thing I''m not happy about is the push posts that the pearls are attached too. They struck me as a little....well....flimsy. Honestly... I wear the same pair of T&Co yellow gold heart earrings day in & day out and I''ve never thought of them as particularly sturdy until I tried on the pearl studs. I snuck a lobe shot (gotta resize the pics) and while I was putting the earring on & off, I was afraid I was going to bend the post. Or crimp the push thingie....

But I love love love the look of the pearls. I''m so happy I didn''t cancel the order.
36.gif

I''ll be back later with pics!

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how to attach more than one picture per post, so here''s the first one...

And okay... pearls are HARD to photograph well!!

Apearl_2638.jpg

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a 2nd shot... the first was taken in the living room, with natural light coming in from the windows.

This 2nd shot... i put the box in the linen closet, still natural light coming in..but lots darker...you can see the shiny better. LOL

Bpearl_2639.jpg

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
hah! in that previous pic, you can totally see my camera reflected on the pearl.

And here''s an ear shot... i had a heck of a time trying to resize this small enough to load. Lots bigger than I''m used to, and i''m sad I didn''t order a pair for me now! gotta start saving again... hehehhe...
12.gif
Again... these are 8.5-9.0mm Freshadamas from Pearl Paradise.

Cpearl_2643.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results