shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl stringing questions

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
How often do I need to ream the last three pearls?

When you string, how often do you double up on the string?

Do you always use French wire?

Thanks!!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
My main reason for asking is because there is no way on earth that I will be able to get four strands of thread through my last three pearls. They’re pretty tight with two strands (one strand doubled up) through them right now.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

This is the video instruction I am trying to follow.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How often do I need to ream the last three pearls?

When you string, how often do you double up on the string?

Do you always use French wire?

Thanks!!

For me -
- These days always! Makes life so much easier
- I prefer four threads to two, and I’d rather drop thread weight (switch to a lighter/thinner thread) if that lets me quad up
- Always, I worry about wear without

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
For me -
- These days always! Makes life so much easier
- I prefer four threads to two, and I’d rather drop thread weight (switch to a lighter/thinner thread) if that lets me quad up
- Always, I worry about wear without

Thank you!

It makes me nervous to think of reaming pearls. Any comforting thoughts?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer using mini broaches for this job. They are essentially long, thin triangular (in cross section) razors. You insert them into the drill hole and twirl them. They shave off very small amounts of the inside wall of the pearl drill hole so you can enlarge the hole just a little at a time.
And unlike the reamers I used to use, they have a very gradual taper, so you don't end up with a huge exterior opening to the drill hole, which is unsightly and causes knots to slip inside.

Here's what they look like:

Last edited:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer using mini broaches for this job. They are essentially long, thin triangular (in cross section) razors. You insert them into the drill hole and twirl them. They shave off very small amounts of the inside wall of the pearl drill hole so you can enlarge the hole just a little at a time.
And unlike the reamers I used to use, they have a very gradual taper, so you don't end up with a huge exterior opening to the drill hole, which is unsightly and causes knots to slip inside.

Thank you! So are professional pearl stringers making the last three pearl holes bigger? Is this a quote standard practice, or is it only required with thicker string or..?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is amazing. I just bought a set. The taper has always been a WTF for me too. Thank you so much for sharing!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only restring my own pearls. I always use gimp.

I use Fine gauge wire needles, and Medium Serafil, doubled. Before I begin stringing I test the end pearls to see if the needle + thread can pass through twice. If they cannot, I use a broach to widen the hole just enough (or substitute a different pearl, when possible). Most of the time I don't need to widen the holes, But if I do need to widen the hole, I definitely prefer using the broaches.

Be really careful handling the broaches. Don't touch the blades!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is amazing. I just bought a set. The taper has always been a WTF for me too. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Can you help me (I feel dumb) buy these in English? How did you end up finding them? Or did you buy off the site linked?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I only restring my own pearls. I always use gimp.

I use Fine gauge wire needles, and Medium Serafil, doubled. Before I begin stringing I test the end pearls to see if the needle + thread can pass through twice. If they cannot, I use a broach to widen the hole just enough (or substitute a different pearl, when possible). Most of the time I don't need to widen the holes, But if I do need to widen the hole, I definitely prefer using the broaches.

Be really careful handling the broaches. Don't touch the blades!

Thank you!! I’ll report back on how I do.

I’m practicing with cheap pearls but I have some nice pearls that have been waiting half a year for me to string them properly…

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you!

It makes me nervous to think of reaming pearls. Any comforting thoughts?

By far the easiest way is to get some drill bits of the required size and simply use an ordinary drill to enlarge the holes. Remember that bits do not bend and try not to drill your fingers. I did a short video on enlarging the holes this way, it's on my youtube channel.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you help me (I feel dumb) buy these in English? How did you end up finding them? Or did you buy off the site linked?

I actually just bought the set that @pearlsngems linked, off Amazon! It’s such a reasonable price!

I’ve had exactly the problem she talks about with normal reamers - they continuously taper, so unless you ream all the way through the pearl, the entrance will be wider than in the center of the pearl sphere. I get around that by using my 0.6mm extra fine reamer as a mini saw, sorta - widening the drill hole by sawing around and around the interior. I don’t know if that makes any sense. Probably not :lol: Suffice to say - these mini broaches look SO much better!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want to buy from Amazon, search for "mini cutting broaches". I think Rio Grande sells them too.

Broaches also come in large sizes so be sure to get the really small ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results