shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl stringing advice/size info?

wintermute

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'd like to try my hand at stringing my own pearls. I've watched a few videos on how to string, and doubt I'd be able to pull off the method where you make the knots with tweezers or a needle, but the "Japanese method" with 2 threads seems do-able. I currently have a 16" worth of loose Tahitian pearls I'd like to string into a necklace; they've been drilled with a 0.8mm hole.

Is a 0.8mm hole large enough to do Japanese stringing with 2 threads passing through the hole? If so, can anyone recommend a particular string, or even just the right size to use for that?

Do I need to ream out the pearls on the ends?

If I mess this up, how hard is it to undo all the knots - do you have to cut each out or can they generally kind of slide out (if that makes sense)? Is it damaging to the pearls if you have to keep undoing and re-doing, and should I buy some cheap pearls to practice on?

Thank you!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There are about as many different knotting methods as we've had hot dinners, as they say. depending on how light-handed you are and with fine small scissors (embroidery?) you can cut off each knot to undo the necklace and re-do. The pearls should not slide off - one of the reasons for knotting is so they don't! You'll only damage the pearls if you hack at them with the bread knife.
Enjoy the experience of learning a new skill.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, I'd like to try my hand at stringing my own pearls. I've watched a few videos on how to string, and doubt I'd be able to pull off the method where you make the knots with tweezers or a needle, but the "Japanese method" with 2 threads seems do-able. I currently have a 16" worth of loose Tahitian pearls I'd like to string into a necklace; they've been drilled with a 0.8mm hole.

Is a 0.8mm hole large enough to do Japanese stringing with 2 threads passing through the hole? If so, can anyone recommend a particular string, or even just the right size to use for that?

If I mess this up, how hard is it to undo all the knots - do you have to cut each out or can they generally kind of slide out (if that makes sense)? Is it damaging to the pearls if you have to keep undoing and re-doing, and should I buy some cheap pearls to practice on?

Thank you!

Someone will be along shortly to help
please post updates and photos as i need to be inspired to learn also and id love to see and encourage your efforts

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you!

The two string method seems to create less tight knots for me than the pull-over-tweezers method. Maybe just me though? I can get really tight knots that don’t budge at all with tweezers (I actually use round nosed pliers but same idea).

It took me a LONG time to get the hang of knotting neatly. And I feel like I went from “massacre” to “hey that’s really not so bad” overnight - I spent a good while in the former stage :lol:

No need to ream. And no harm done cutting and restringing!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried the Japanese stringing method and could never get it right. Kudos to those who can. But to answer your question- when stringing using the more common method the string is already doubled and I have never needed to ream out the end pearls. Your thread weight choice is very important.

For the most common 0.8 size hole I use Beader's Secret medium weight thread. I believe that is size/weight 30 and the same weight if using the brand Serafil.

If I mess this up, how hard is it to undo all the knots - do you have to cut each out or can they generally kind of slide out (if that makes sense)?

This is where you need to be careful because a pearl is usually ruined if you accidentally get a knot stuck inside of it. They are almost impossible to remove by hand. You will cut the the thread between the pearls and the knots if you are restringing the strand. You will need a flush cutter tool when doing this. Sometimes (especially when the strand is tightly knotted or small knots) you will find part of the knot still remains. Use tweezers to work the rest of the knot out before you try to pull the thread through the pearl. I recommend testing the thread of each knot you have removed with tweezers until you get the hang of stringing.

Is it damaging to the pearls if you have to keep undoing and re-doing, and should I buy some cheap pearls to practice on?

The biggest risk is getting a knots stuck inside the pearls. Less common (but happens) when using bead nucleated pearls (Tahitians, Akoyas, Edisons, South Sea) is having the bead rotate inside the pearl in which the drill hole is no longer in alignment. If you use glue on the 3rd knot from the clasps as many of us do you can easily remove the old glue with acetone and it won't damage the pearl.

Happy stringing!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one running 4 (#30) threads through each 0.8mm hole? I get about 5x the length of what i need, run it through the needle halfway, then start stringing. So 2 threads going one way, 2 more threads coming back. It seems to be a snug fit, but am I damaging the insides by making it too tight?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one running 4 (#30) threads through each 0.8mm hole? I get about 5x the length of what i need, run it through the needle halfway, then start stringing. So 2 threads going one way, 2 more threads coming back. It seems to be a snug fit, but am I damaging the insides by making it too tight?

You won't damage the pearls. I run the thread back on the last 3 clasp pearls on almost all my strands.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's easy to remove thread or knots jammed into the drill hole. Get a drill bit of the appropriate size and simple use any electric drill. Even a 'putting up shelves' drill will hold a 0.8mm bit (just remember that bits do not bend. Be sure to hold the drill so the bit is always straight.
Getting a broken bit out of a drill is not so easy)

Beaders Secret

Rough_Rock
Trade
I recommend when cutting out knots, use slightly curved scissors as this gets up close to the knots and helps prevent the knots retracting back inside the pearl.

I use tweezers for knot placement, most tweezers on the market are too pointed and when moving swiftly these can snag the thread.

I mainly work in 4 strands of thread, for instance for a hole of 0.8mm in pearls, I would use either 4 of fine or 2 fine and 2 extra fine. The size of the pearls also have to be taken into consideration as well as the hole size (overall weight of the pearl strand)

With beads and agate strands I mainly use medium gauge. I have never used the thick gauge thread on strands of pearls.

I often see good knotting on strands that are let down by the finishing off not being done correctly.

The finishing off should be the strongest part of your stringing. I use either the butchers knot (left over right) or the surgeons knot, depending on the gauge of thread used.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resuscitating this thread for any other tips and tricks folks might have!! :appl:

I rip through needles. I don't know what it is about how I pull them and work with them, but oh my goodness - I'll go through one or two needles per strand. Sometimes three. I need to figure out what I'm doing and stop it, the needle habit ain't cheap ;(

I do have a tip to share though - for getting really really close to pearls to cut string a cuticle nipper works fabulously!!

Oh, and a second! I used to have a lot of trouble pulling thread back through pearls after making my final knot... I couldn't get the needle through the pearl because the point would just dig into the knot on the other side. Tip - if you know you'll be pulling thread back through any pearls that have knots on the other side, stick a needle in before you make those knots and just let the needle hang out in the pearl - and then at the end you can just thread it and pull the string trhough ::)

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie, I trim off the end of the needle if it's gotten frayed or bent, using wire cutters; a cuticle trimmer would work, too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did a bundle of restrings today and thought I'd share some WIP pics - this is pretty much everything I use for stringing (minus the tin of Attack to take care of glue mishaps :lol:)

- Bead board is a must!! I think I've got three - I keep leaving them at the wrong house :shock:
- Plastic-tipped tweezers
- Tape for the fingers because stringing hurts! I don't bother with this unless I know I'm going to do several strands though, it's kind of a pain. I got the green roll from Pattye but any old athletic tape will do the trick
- Round-nosed pliers to tighten knots (most people use tweezers, I find pliers easier to hold)
- Cement to finish strands, and toothpicks to properly spread the inevitably indelicate glue blobs these tubes gloop out
- Sewing scissors
- Cuticle cutters to snip threads tight to the pearls
- Three reamers: 0.6mm, 0.8mm, and 1.0mm

STRINGING_1.jpg

- All needles are from Pattye. The Big Eye Needles (fine) are my favourite needles!! Their shanks are smooth. They're delicate, though, and I go through a fair number. But they work great even with the tiniest baby beads! The Open Eye Needles (med) are a bit thicker and their shanks are twisted, and I dislike the twisted shanks - they catch on thread and unravel it with each pass through a pearl. I bought them before I learnt that I don't care for them and I use them for temp work that I don't care about.
- Gimp from Pattye - two in the smaller (fine) size and three in the regular size. Per her Etsy listings her french wire is plated copper. I use the fine size if the pearls' holes are less than 0.8mm and the regular size if the holes are 0.8mm or bigger.

STRINGING_2.jpg

- All threads are Serafil from Pattye :bigsmile: She's fantastic, super responsive on etsy and ships out really quickly - and every one of my orders has always come in perfect!! I may have a bit of a thread problem... :twisted2:

STRINGING_3.jpg

I got annoyed having to check thread weight combos every time so I made myself a gimp / thread fit chart, maybe someone else might find it useful too? This is specific to Pattye's threads and french wire (I don't have any other brands).

Number of strands* and Pattye's weightFits Pattye's regular french wire? Fits Pattye's fine french wire?
(2) #20YesYes (tight)
(4) #20Yes (very tight)No
(2) #20 + (2) #30YesNo
(2) #20 + (2) #40YesNo
(2) #30YesYes
(4) #30YesNo
(2) #30 + (2) #40YesNo
(2) #40YesYes
(4) #40YesYes (tight)
*(2) strands = two threads, like one long thread passed through a needle - so doubled up

Last edited:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow, Yssie, thank you so so much for the generous shout-out, and for sharing your most helpful stringing tips and chart to coordinate thread and French wire.

Congratulations to you and the others here for taking on the "learn to knot" challenge, persevering, and being successful!

Sharing about problems and solutions helps us all keep our skills honed and carry on the legacy of stringing and knotting as a practical skill and art form.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results