shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Rope-Thoughts on a classic tradeoff

naria

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking of doing a pearl rope during the next round of sales (I think I've spent my black friday wad). However, I'm debating a few things and was hoping I could get some advise from others. There would like be a tradeoff between size and quality if I do this project. I have a freshadama strand I love, but I don't know that that level of quality is required for a larger piece. What do other people think? I think I could afford a rope in 8-9mm AA++, 7-8 AAA, or 7.5-8mm Freshadama. The other trade off is length. I am debating between a 50inch or so rope vs 100 inch or so rope. If you were in my shoes would you get a longer rope of AA+ pearls or a shorter rope of higher grade pearls?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Large pearls in a long rope tend to be heavier than what I enjoy wearing. Personally, I'd get 7.5-8 mm AA (or AAA or freshadama) and use the savings to purchase a couple of ropes for when you want the lots of layered pearls look. You have lots of pearls and it saves a bit of weight on the neck. Since you are going to wrap them anyway, I presume, I'd get two 50s rather than one 100. Perhaps in a couple of different pearl sizes, if you want the multi-size look. If I was getting a shorter strand, I would definitely go for the 9mm and as nice as I could afford.

I love lavender pearls, as well as white, so I always end up buying strands in a couple of colors. Are you going for a white rope?

naria

Shiny_Rock
I think I want classic white for my first rope. I'm getting a multicolor freshadama set from the black friday sale. When those arrive, I'll be better able to know which colors I prefer since those will be my first non-white freshwaters. Thanks for your thoughts about the rope as well as color.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
First with pearls always buy the best quality you can afford. I have AA+ and AAA ropes but all have really good to excelent luster. For a statment necklace 8mm is my favorite which I have in 100 inches. It is heavy but I still love it. My 6mm 100 in rope I had remade into a triple strand with a diamond clasp and a matching bracelet. It started out as an endless strand but with out that clasp it was not as easy to wind around 5 to 6 times to be able to wear it really short.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts 4Ranch Girl. I've seen some of the pictures of your rope as well as the transformed rope. Beautiful.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
7.0 would be a bit small for me. Even on a rope, I'd prefer 8mm. I'd go with 50 inches because to me, it is a dramatic length but also very versatile. I'd wear that for everyday as well as dress-up but I couldn't see myself wearing 100 inches very often. About the quality, I guess I'd get the nicest I could easily afford, emphasis on "easily," because I think AA+ is still nice. I liked the idea of getting two 50" strands if you have occasions where you want to be really decked out in pearls but would prefer less at other times. But so much is subjective that I'm not sure this is any help. :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 96" rope. Hardly ever wear it. Like Fly Girl said, too heavy, neck hurts. I'm thinking of shortening it.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Good to know from everyone about the weight issue. I do get headaches from necklaces sometimes and none of mine are nearly as heavy as a rope would be. I'm thinking I may get an AAA rope in 52" length. Still debating size. I might get 8.5-9.5 for one strand and save up and get a smaller strand for variation when you really want to layer it on. ;-)

leecube

Rough_Rock
May I ask, where do you guys get your long ropes? I'm thinking of a 100" one because I like the drama. But I think I can probably even do 7mm, because I'm a very petite girl. Is a claspe essential in a long rope? Or it's actually not too difficult to just loop it around your neck a few times? Thanks.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I know we all like different things, so don't know if this will help, but my ropes are from Overstock.com because for now I'd rather have lots of pearls than the best pearls. I have ropes in pink, black, white and grey. I'm very happy with their AA grade, A grade not so much. However, I've had three of their strands break within the first year so that ruins the savings unless you know how to (or want to learn how to) knot them yourself.

I don't really like clasps, personally, unless it's an exceptionally beautiful clasp or needed for a short strand. I prefer the look of uninterrupted pearls all around. And, with the price of gold these days, if you are price conscious then the ones without clasps (on Overstock anyway) cost less.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

concun

Shiny_Rock
I like the 65" rope better than 52". I bought a costume 65" and be able to wrap around 3 times, no claps. If I double the rope, it can be a 4 strand choker necklace. I ordered a freshadama 52", no claps, and I can't wrap it around 3 times. When I knot the 52", it seems shorter and not as elegant than the 65". I am petitte, only 5'2 for reference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results