carat
color
clarity

Pearl Paradise Collection & 9.5-10.5mm Freshadama Strand

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there fellow pearl-lovers,

I've been collecting pearls from Pearl Paradise for the last 18-24 months when they have a twice-yearly 20% off. Here is my collection. It's all AAA freshwater, except the 9.5-10.5mm Freshadama strand, and the white metallic studs at the end. In addition to these, I have lavender double strand & studs; cream graduated strand & studs, dyed black strand, and long white strand.

Hope you enjoy the thread. First up is a 7.5-8mm dyed black freshwater strand, AAA. I've been using the retouch button to get rid of all my skin discoloration - it's great and makes the pearls stand out. A lot of people say they don't like dyed black freshwaters but I think they're pretty. They are darker and less blue than this in real life.

dscn0383.jpg

dscn0386__2_.jpg

dscn0385.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next is the 9.5-10mm Freshadama strand with rose overtones. I was torn between this and the 9-9.5mm, but it looked much smaller than this one.

dscn0390__3_.jpg

dscn0393__2_.jpg

dscn0397.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a 26-inch freshwater white AAA 7.7-8mm strand, no overtone, and no clasp - just a continuous strand. The actors wearing elegant long strands of pearls in Downton Abbey was the inspiration for buying this, although 26 inches isn't that long. They look rounder and more lustrous in real life. It's very hard to photograph pearls accurately.

Just tried again and the third photo is much more how they look in real life.

dscn0403.jpg

dscn0400.jpg

dscn0443__2_.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of luster and very round, all of them! Congratualtions!

As to dyed freshwaters, I have nothing against them in principle. I have a baroque dyed strand that I love wearing with certain tops. Okay, so the color isn't natural, but they are nacre all the way through.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a lavender freshwater AAA double strand and matching studs. The strand is 7.5-8mm and the studs are 8-9mm. I asked for them to be as pink as possible, instead of peach or silver overtones.

dscn0411__3__-_copy.jpg

dscn0414__2_.jpg

dscn0410__2_.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1464467059|4037444 said:
Lots of luster and very round, all of them! Congratualtions!

As to dyed freshwaters, I have nothing against them in principle. I have a baroque dyed strand that I love wearing with certain tops. Okay, so the color isn't natural, but they are nacre all the way through.

Thanks, pearlsngems! That's what I like about freshwaters too - all nacre, all the way! They'll never wear out!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a special strand that I had custom-made by Chenai at Pearl Paradise, who was a total angel throughout all my pearl-buying. Watching period dramas - Downton Abbey as well as others - I was struck by the graduated strands of cream/champagne/antique lace color pearls. I contacted Pearl Paradise to ask about a strand of graduated cream pearls, and while Chenai said that they didn't have any in that color, they did have light peach which looked very much like cream. She sent me an unstrung strand so I could see the color, and I loved it - it was just what I wanted.

The strand is 17 inches, AAA freshwater, graduated from 6-7mm in the back through 7-8mm around the sides to 8-9mm in the front, and the largest central pearl is an ivory 9-10mm Freshadama pearl, Chenai's great suggestion.

The studs are 8.5-9mm Freshadamas.

These were impossible to photograph in the box, but the last photo shows the luster.

dscn0430.jpg

dscn0435__2__-_copy.jpg

dscn0437.jpg

dscn0454.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this Tahitian pearl pendant for a good price in the Pearl Paradise sale, on a 14k gold sparkle chain. The pearl is 9-10mm, and the color description was interesting. I bought it 18 months ago so I can't really remember, but I think it was light gray with cherry overtones. It was a one-off and I got a great discount. The middle photo looks most like the real-life color.

dscn0439.jpg

dscn0440.jpg

_37372.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! These all look fantastic on you! I love your freshadama and that creamy graduated strand! I don't remember seeing it before.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I haven't posted the cream graduated strand before, cmd, although I did talk about it here when I was making it with Chenai. Seems like absolutely ages ago now. It turned out just how I imagined - an ivory/champagney look. Chenai is so great.

I love your big white pearls on the Mother's Day thread! You are just the ultimate pearl girl!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two pairs of white Freshadama studs, 8.5-9mm and 9.5mm. The larger ones look huge - Chenai said that they measured exactly 9.5mm. I like the size but have never found the luster to be great. However, the luster on the smaller pair is very sharp. I couldn't get an ear shot of the smaller pair so the ear shot below is of the larger pearl.

dscn0457.jpg

dscn0416__2_.jpg

dscn0418.jpg

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful collection! What is your favorite or the one that you go to the most?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! They were a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I love them!

I love the variety you have. I've always been curious about dyed black freshwaters. Ashley from Pure Pearls posted photos on Facebook a while ago comparing black Akoya, freshwater, and Tahitians, and the dyed freshwater pearls had the most beautiful colours. I liked them best actually. I'm jealous of how pretty your double lavenders are on you too. I think they are gorgeous, but they look awful on me.

I'm not surprised that the larger freshadama have less luster. I've seen that in Tahitians too. The smaller ones are always the most colorful and have the sharpest luster.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous collection Jambalaya! I especially love your floating Tahitian necklace.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Large Pink baroque freshwater choker with 14k gold clasp from PP. The gold pearl at the front just off-center is not as noticeable in real life as in the photos. I like it- it's kind of an accent pearl. But it has more pink in reality.

dscn0556__3_.jpg

dscn0557__2_.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wasn't going to post this item as it's the one piece I've been disappointed in, but since I'm posting all my stuff this weekend, I thought what the heck.

It's an 8-8.5mm blue akoya pearl in 14k white gold from PP. I already had the chain from ages ago. In real life it hardly looks blue - oddly, it looks bluer in the photos - and it's just very small. I was disappointed that 8-8.5mm was the largest PP could supply for a blue akoya solitaire, but it looks much smaller than I thought. I've never worn it. It's pretty but it doesn't wow me in any way. Here it is, FWIW:

Speaking of blue akoyas, I'm considering having PP make me some earring charms in blue akoya and yellow gold, to wear with my tiny yellow-gold-and-diamond hoops. That's a project for the future.

dscn0558__2_.jpg

dscn0559.jpg

dscn0560.jpg

dscn0563__2_.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Staceyjan|1464488611|4037586 said:
You have a beautiful collection! What is your favorite or the one that you go to the most?

Staceyjan, I've barely worn any of it, due to lifestyle. However, if I want to look very glam, it would be the large freshadama strand or the large pink strand. Thanks for the nice compliment!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1464498559|4037634 said:
Thanks! They were a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but I love them!

I love the variety you have. I've always been curious about dyed black freshwaters. Ashley from Pure Pearls posted photos on Facebook a while ago comparing black Akoya, freshwater, and Tahitians, and the dyed freshwater pearls had the most beautiful colours. I liked them best actually. I'm jealous of how pretty your double lavenders are on you too. I think they are gorgeous, but they look awful on me.

I'm not surprised that the larger freshadama have less luster. I've seen that in Tahitians too. The smaller ones are always the most colorful and have the sharpest luster.

I'm sure you cold find the right hue of lavender, cmd! And yes, black dyed freshwaters aren't seen as that desirable, but I think they're so pretty.

Q

Queenie60

Jambalaya - I love :love: :love: your pearls. Especially large white strand. They're all quite beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1464642230|4038248 said:
Staceyjan|1464488611|4037586 said:

Staceyjan, I've barely worn any of it, due to lifestyle. However, if I want to look very glam, it would be the large freshadama strand or the large pink strand. Thanks for the nice compliment!

Love the pink ones, too. I wish my work lifestyle was a bit more casual but w my new pearls I may enjoy getting dressed!

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1464625755|4038131 said:
Large Pink baroque freshwater choker with 14k gold clasp from PP. The gold pearl at the front just off-center is not as noticeable in real life as in the photos. I like it- it's kind of an accent pearl. But it has more pink in reality.
it looks like a celebrity would be wearing this strand. I love how the gold pearl stands out and w it being off centered makes it look more original.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1464626858|4038153 said:
I wasn't going to post this item as it's the one piece I've been disappointed in, but since I'm posting all my stuff this weekend, I thought what the heck.

It's an 8-8.5mm blue akoya pearl in 14k white gold from PP. I already had the chain from ages ago. In real life it hardly looks blue - oddly, it looks bluer in the photos - and it's just very small. I was disappointed that 8-8.5mm was the largest PP could supply for a blue akoya solitaire, but it looks much smaller than I thought. I've never worn it. It's pretty but it doesn't wow me in any way. Here it is, FWIW:

Speaking of blue akoyas, I'm considering having PP make me some earring charms in blue akoya and yellow gold, to wear with my tiny yellow-gold-and-diamond hoops. That's a project for the future.

It's very pretty, shame you don't wear it. Have you considered sending it back to PP to set in a different style? Maybe they could find a nice match for earrings. You could even use it for your future project although you may prefer bluer pearls.

Or do you have a younger relative you could gift it to? Maybe someone in their late teens or 20s? I have a couple of tiny Tahitian pendants (8.5m and 9m). I absolutely love them now but can see myself outgrowing them in 5-10 years. When that happens I plan to reset them into a charm bracelet.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'd be happy to take that little blue Akoya off your hands. ;-)

The blue Akoyas tend to be baroque, but that one looks very round, and the lustre in the last photo looks like a star sapphire. Maybe that will help you like it a little better?

I think it's perfect for summer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results