shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl newbie - where to get a good overview

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I have just recently become interested in pearls - they are soon beautiful and I have absolutely no idea about them whatsoever :wall:
Are there any sites or pages you recommend for a good overview of the different type of pearls, why some are dearer then others, colours, etc. I don't want to become a prosumer at this stage, just a nice overview :twirl: to get me started.

Also some good sites to make your first purchase for a tin cup or dangle pearl earrings - I like a pink or gold tone ( is that the right word??)
all help much appreciated.
d2b

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I like the series of guides that Ashley McNamara wrote for JNet:

http://www.jewellerynetasia.com/en-us/editorial/list?author=Ashley McNamara

Just a word of caution that what you like may not be what is most flattering for your skin tone/complexion. Eg I like pastels but pastel colored pearls look awful on me. If there is a b&m store near you, would be good to go and try on various colors, overtones and lengths to see what works best on you.

Do also look around the threads here to see the range and designs that you may like. This forum is pretty strict on recommendations/links to retailers but there's a sticky thread re: trusted vendors that you can browse through.

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of pearls! :))

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Pearl-guide.com also has a lot of good information.

I tend to go through the Pricescope Pearl forum and the Pearl-guide forum equally.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your advice -
great idea to try on some pearls to see what colours I would like ( not sure if that is the right terminology - :doh: )
I have 2 pearl necklaces bought many years ago - (pendants - one from george jensen and one from a regular shop) which I have realised I wear a lot . So i am keen to explore more of this and get a couple of really nice pieces to last that are timeless .

thanks
d2b

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
This forum is not an educational forum. Only consumers are allowed to chat here. The other forum mentioned above has what you are looking for.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the education sections that Ashley at Pure Pearls offers on her blog. Same with Kevin at Pearls of Joy, the Pearl Paradise education section, and the other forum's education section too. Also American Pearl's website has an education section as well. If you browse through those you'll be well on your way.

Here on this forum you'll find lots of pictures of the different types of pearls worn by people. It's helpful to see action shots so to speak, as website pictures aren't how pearls will look under more 'normal' light conditions. The Tahitian website vs real life thread is helpful for seeing that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results