shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl newbie interested in buying my own first strand

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I have been a Pricescoper and diamond lover for years, but I am new to pearls. Other than the basic white pearls inherited from my Grandma (I’m not sure what kind they are), I don’t own any pearls. If I wanted a necklace on the longer side (18-20 inches) and multi colored or colored (versus white) with small pearls, where should I start? My budget would probably be $500 or preferably less.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you look into multicolored freshwater pearls. (I am referring to naturally colored pearls, not dyed.)

One good source is Pearl Paradise; I have bought many things from them.
Here is a link to their multicolored pearls:

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts on what color I should start with for freshwaters? Do the pastel multi colored ones read “older”? I am looking at those and also lavenders and peaches. I’m 40 for context.

Attachments

• 79BC6131-23B3-465F-8FF9-E79C841C210E.jpeg
    79BC6131-23B3-465F-8FF9-E79C841C210E.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 31

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Any thoughts on what color I should start with for freshwaters? Do the pastel multi colored ones read “older”? I am looking at those and also lavenders and peaches. I’m 40 for context.

JMHO but peach might not show up well on your skin, especially if it's a pale shade of peach/pink. I could see medium to dark lavender being perfect, either pink or blue toned.

Personally, I guess I just don't like the multicolored strands. I have bought a couple through the years, necklaces and bracelets and always ended up getting rid of them. From a short distance, to me they usually just look kind of messy or something. But of course that's just me.

I don't think age figures into color but size might. Small pearls seem to me to go better with young women or girls, unless the strand is rope length. Otherwise, personally I'd go for minimum 8mm with the matching studs, if any, at least a little larger than the pearl strand.

Also imo matching strand and pearls looks maybe older or maybe just a little more formal. Please let us see what you get!

ETA: If you go this route (below) I'd first use their chat function and tell them what you want as specifically as you can, then ask for pics of a few to choose from. (We could help you decide on that too, if you want).

I'd go with the middle grade AAA if you use Pearl Paradise (every vendor seems to have their own grading system). It is nice and round whereas AA+ is a bit more off-round and AAA stays in budget better than their top "freshadama" choice.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Pearls of Joy and Pure Pearls are a couple other vendors I've been happy with, if you're in the USA.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
JMHO but peach might not show up well on your skin, especially if it's a pale shade of peach/pink. I could see medium to dark lavender being perfect, either pink or blue toned.

Personally, I guess I just don't like the multicolored strands. I have bought a couple through the years, necklaces and bracelets and always ended up getting rid of them. From a short distance, to me they usually just look kind of messy or something. But of course that's just me.

I don't think age figures into color but size might. Small pearls seem to me to go better with young women or girls, unless the strand is rope length. Otherwise, personally I'd go for minimum 8mm with the matching studs, if any, at least a little larger than the pearl strand.

Also imo matching strand and pearls looks maybe older or maybe just a little more formal. Please let us see what you get!

ETA: If you go this route (below) I'd first use their chat function and tell them what you want as specifically as you can, then ask for pics of a few to choose from. (We could help you decide on that too, if you want).

I'd go with the middle grade AAA if you use Pearl Paradise (every vendor seems to have their own grading system). It is nice and round whereas AA+ is a bit more off-round and AAA stays in budget better than their top "freshadama" choice.

So helpful! Thank you very much! This gives me a place to start.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also imo matching strand and pearls looks maybe older or maybe just a little more formal.
[/URL]

Oops, I meant "matching strand and earrings."

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

nope
i think colour reads fun and youthful !!!!

just ignore all trends and buy what you like
nice pearls and even some cheaper pearls will out live all trends

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with @seaurchin, an 8mm-ish lavender strand would be beautiful with your colouring ::) And I also agree re. general preference for solid colours over multis for daily wear (outside of Tahitians).

The one thing I personally wouldn't compromise on is luster - that's what makes pearls "glow", vs. looking like glossy plastic balls. You can ask Pearl Paradise to pull their most lustrous lavender AAA and Freshadama options and request your SA's opinion on whether there's a notable difference.
https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...lavender-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace
This is on the short end of your desired length (18") and $45 over budget, but IMO if you can swing it, it would be worth it *if* the luster is visibly improved over the nicest AAA available. If the difference is mostly shape or saturation of colour I'd feel less strongly.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Here are some that Jeremy at PP sent me pictures of when I mentioned lavender. He’s just using the white ones to separate these two. These are AAA grade. Any thoughts? I’m also wondering if 18 inch or 20 inch would work better. I typically like longer necklaces but not sure with pearls.

Attachments

• 1636D2F8-02B4-4EA5-8ED7-1B7881888577.png
    1636D2F8-02B4-4EA5-8ED7-1B7881888577.png
    646.3 KB · Views: 26

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any other pics? Really hard to see colour in that one.

Edit: Jeremy owns Pearl Paradise, you’re in good hands with him! Tell him what your priorities are (darker colour? Cooler lavender? Rounder? More lustrous?) and ask which one he recommends ::)

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the colour of the middle two strands. And of those two I’d pick the upper, for cooler tone and for what looks like the edge on luster.

Topmost strand looks like it’s got an olive bent… Bottom is pretty peachy, might be warmer than you’d prefer.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some that Jeremy at PP sent me pictures of when I mentioned lavender. He’s just using the white ones to separate these two. These are AAA grade. Any thoughts? I’m also wondering if 18 inch or 20 inch would work better. I typically like longer necklaces but not sure with pearls.
So I’m assuming the strand I like better in the four-row lineup is the innermost in this pic?

You’ll want to get pricing on adding extra length, if you decide on 20”. Strands are 18” by default, so adding length involves not just stringing but also finding the additional matching pearls - you’ll want them to confirm they can do this for you (ie. They have the necessary pearls). Availability of those matching additionals may influence which strand you choose.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
$16 for each extra inch which doesn’t seem bad at all to me. I’m not sure about the returnable aspect though. If I want matching drops or studs, should I get the same pearls and/or just have them made at the same time?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$16 for each extra inch which doesn’t seem bad at all to me.
Very reasonable cost IMO. No restrictions on colour is great, you can choose whatever you want.

I’m not sure about the returnable aspect though.
Agree with @pearlsngems - worth asking explicitly.

If I want matching drops or studs, should I get the same pearls and/or just have them made at the same time?
Yes. Having them made at the same time will ensure they’ll match. Alternatively, Pearl Paradise has a number of sets 15% off at the moment, and there are a few lavender AAA options.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Very reasonable cost IMO. No restrictions on colour is great, you can choose whatever you want.

Agree with @pearlsngems - worth asking explicitly.

Yes. Having them made at the same time will ensure they’ll match. Alternatively, Pearl Paradise has a number of sets 15% off at the moment, and there are a few lavender AAA options.

He said it would be returnable with just a $15 restocking fee. He’s now offering to send me several strands to see in person to choose. Super nice!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise is one of my favourite vendors. They have super generous policies and they really do go above and beyond to be helpful!!

Choosing in person is the best way, I’m happy for you!! Let us know what you decide!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results