shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl necklace - need opinions!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Pearl Experts,

I'm looking for a strand of pearls to wear with my wedding dress. I am currently looking at two options:

1. 16" 9.5-10.5mm White Freshwater Pearls (http://www.pearlparadise.com/95105-mm-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace551.aspx) - I'd go for the AAA quality bringing the price to $1016
2. 16" 9.0-10.0mm Freshadama Freshwater Pearl Necklace (http://www.pearlparadise.com/9095-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace756.aspx) - $1032

I was wondering if I should go for the larger pearls or the "better quality" Freshadama pearls? Does choosing Freshadama really make a difference with freshwater pearls?

I'm open to other options as well, but I prefer round, uniform pearls (I know, boring). Also open to going with even smaller pearls of higher quality if the ones I chose aren't great. I'm definitely not a pearl expert as the only pearls I own are Costco studs.

Thanks so much for your help!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For two reasons I would choose the 9.0-9.5mm Freshadama pearls rather than the 9.5-10.5mm AAA ones:

1. The Freshadamas have greater luster, roundness and a better surface. See this chart: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm

2. The size difference will not be so great, because the Freshadamas have a 0.5mm range from the smallest to the largest (they're listed as 9-9.5 not 9-10) while the AAA have a 1.0mm range from 9.5-10.5 mm. That means more of the AAAs will be in the 9.5-10.0 range and fewer in the 10-10.5 range (with the largest few pearls in the front.) Personally I prefer a 0.5mm range in necklaces, but you may like more graduated pearls.

Also, consider that the larger the total pearl diameter, the less of a difference 1mm makes in the appearance, as it is a smaller per cent of the total diameter.
So, for example, the 1mm difference between 10mm and 9mm pearls will look less significant than the difference between 8mm and 7mm pearls. (A 9mm pearl is 10% less wide in diameter than a 10mm pearl, while a 7mm pearl is 12.5% less wide than an 8mm pearl)

All that is to say that at the sizes you are looking at, the larger AAA pearl strand won't look so very much larger than the smaller Freshadama, but it will look less round, less lustrous and less clean. And I say, choose luster first and foremost.

JMO....

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1382556872|3543079 said:
For two reasons I would choose the 9.0-9.5mm Freshadama pearls rather than the 9.5-10.5mm AAA ones:

1. The Freshadamas have greater luster, roundness and a better surface. See this chart: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm

2. The size difference will not be so great, because the Freshadamas have a 0.5mm range from the smallest to the largest (they're listed as 9-9.5 not 9-10) while the AAA have a 1.0mm range from 9.5-10.5 mm. That means more of the AAAs will be in the 9.5-10.0 range and fewer in the 10-10.5 range (with the largest few pearls in the front.) Personally I prefer a 0.5mm range in necklaces, but you may like more graduated pearls.

Also, consider that the larger the total pearl diameter, the less of a difference 1mm makes in the appearance, as it is a smaller per cent of the total diameter.
So, for example, the 1mm difference between 10mm and 9mm pearls will look less significant than the difference between 8mm and 7mm pearls. (A 9mm pearl is 10% less wide in diameter than a 10mm pearl, while a 7mm pearl is 12.5% less wide than an 8mm pearl)

All that is to say that at the sizes you are looking at, the larger AAA pearl strand won't look so very much larger than the smaller Freshadama, but it will look less round, less lustrous and less clean. And I say, choose luster first and foremost.

JMO....

Thank you! I'm going to purchase the Freshadama pearls when the time's right.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consider getting matching earrings at the same time, as it is harder to match them later, unless you send the necklace back for the purpose.

Editing to say that you should not expect a lot of orient in any round pearls. Orient is mostly seen in baroque pearls.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1382570670|3543250 said:
Consider getting matching earrings at the same time, as it is harder to match them later, unless you send the necklace back for the purpose.

Editing to say that you should not expect a lot of orient in any round pearls. Orient is mostly seen in baroque pearls.

I will be purchasing studs at the same time as the necklace. I chatted with the PP folks and they said that the rose overtone pearls normally had the most orient. I think that I prefer the silver-rose overtone though. Thanks for your advice!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1382572006|3543261 said:
pearlsngems|1382570670|3543250 said:

I will be purchasing studs at the same time as the necklace. I chatted with the PP folks and they said that the rose overtone pearls normally had the most orient. I think that I prefer the silver-rose overtone though. Thanks for your advice!

So now I'm considering this one: http://www.pearlparadise.com/8590-mm-Natural-White-Hanadama-Akoya-Pearl-Necklace3125.aspx

Can anyone speak to the comparison between Hamadanas and Freshadamas? Are Hamadanas worth the premium?

I figured this is a strand that I will wear for the rest of my life, so I want to choose a good one!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one seems to be out of stock, per the linked page. You might want to ask when they think it will come back in stock.

The natural white Hanadamas are the only akoyas that appeal to me, but even so, they are still nacre over a bead...I don't think you could wear them every day.

The same size metallic white fwp are all nacre and cost 1/3 as much....

Freshadamas do not have the sharp luster that akoyas do, but they are still lustrous and of course, all nacre.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
IMO pearlsngems has given you great advice. And the information on the pearl diameters and the visual impact was really interesting. Personally I would not go for the Acoyas , you should send PP a note and ask whether they have any metallic whites as well. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and that you want matching earrings (another good piece of advice from pearlsngems) and I'm sure they'll email you some photos.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do have them...Jeremy showed a tray of them during 4Ranch Girl's visit, including 8-8.5mm ones (the largest available at this time.)

That said, if your heart is set on akoyas, perhaps nothing else will do.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I am a saltwater pearl girl, so I would go with the akoyas :love: I do have a small mm akoya rope from PP and I love it! I also have large natural white hanadama akoya studs and love those too. The akoyas that Jeremy selects for PP have thick nacre for akoyas. If you take care of them you should not have a problem with them wearing out. Go with what you love :wink2:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I reckon you need to go for a strand (and matched earrings?) which you will want to wear for every other day of your life, work and play, so look at what else you have in the way of jewellery and consider what you currently wear. That will probably tell you what you want to be buying. (your costco studs are a clue for a start, what size are they and do you wear them a lot?)
It would be a shame if you got a necklace just for one day and then it sat in a drawer.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1382667153|3544150 said:
That one seems to be out of stock, per the linked page. You might want to ask when they think it will come back in stock.

The natural white Hanadamas are the only akoyas that appeal to me, but even so, they are still nacre over a bead...I don't think you could wear them every day.

The same size metallic white fwp are all nacre and cost 1/3 as much....

Freshadamas do not have the sharp luster that akoyas do, but they are still lustrous and of course, all nacre.

Are Freshdamas less delicate than Akoyas because they are all nacre? I am looking for a strand that I can wear frequently.

The PP folks told that they'll have the natural white Hanadamas in about a week. They sent me a picture comparing Freshadamas to Hanadamas and the visual difference was insignificant enough for me to not justify paying 3x more. I'll be purchasing Freshadamas. I'm going to go with either 8.5-9.0 or 9.0-9.5.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely less delicate. All nacre means very tough! If you look at old akoyas, sometimes you see where the nacre peeled or chipped away from the bead inside, especially near the drill holes.

[Edited because I initially misread your question.]

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference for daily wear is fw because it's solid nacre. And I'd go with larger size. Pearls also seem to be affected by DSS :cheeky: .

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was the Freshadama double strand that I sold last year to another member of a pearl forum board:

freshadamadouble_01.jpg

Here is a pic of all the gem quality pearls I had purchased from PP, Pearl of Joy and The Pearl Outlet, from the top:

First two - the non-Freshadama gem quality strand from PP as part of their Nov 08 specials (bought as a gift)
Next four - the Freshadama double with 8-9mm pearls from PP (now sold)
Next two - the 9-10mm Presidential Line from the Pearl of Joy with diamond roundels
Bottom two - the 8-9mm Gem Fresh line from The Pearl Outlet (my everyday strand with a basket clasp, variable length from 18in to 20in)

gemqualitycfwpsmall.jpg

I hope this will give the OP more confident in purchasing gem quality CFWPs such as Freshadamas. :))

I aim to replace the 8-9mm Freshadama double that I had sold with smaller metallic Freshadamas to form another double strand one day (clasp already purchased). :))

If I were to buy Akoyas, I would buy the natural blue Madama Akoyas as seen on PP's website as they are just beautiful!

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Freshwater pearls will be fine, both for the ceremony and special day and for every day after that. Yes, go for a larger size. I've never had a customer say to me ' I wish I had bought smaller pearls'
I'd get them pink overtone - to give yourelf a bit of a subtle colour lift- easy to look a bit vampired down the aisle if all white and very pale.
And get matched earrings at the same time there are many shades of white!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm definitely leaning towards getting the larger Freshadamas. I'll also try to get my hands on matching studs as well.

Here's a picture they sent me comparing the Freshadamas and the Hanadamas. The Hanadamas are the inner strand and the Freshadamas are the outer strand. My eyes can't justify paying 3x more of the Hanadamas so Freshadamas it will be!

fdn-hdn_8.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That photo says it all.

Did they specify whether those Freshadamas had silver undertones, silver-rose, etc?

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
Stunning! I like the larger size too - very versatile

SMC

Ideal_Rock
pearlsngems|1383164972|3547725 said:
That photo says it all.

Did they specify whether those Freshadamas had silver undertones, silver-rose, etc?

No, they didn't. I asked them for a silver-rose strand though. I can't decide between silver and rose, so decided to go middle ground.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooooooo I want the big ones !!! lol Definitely get the earrings at the same time so they can match them perfectly. How exciting!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dk168|1383089219|3547053 said:
This was the Freshadama double strand that I sold last year to another member of a pearl forum board:

freshadamadouble_01.jpg

Here is a pic of all the gem quality pearls I had purchased from PP, Pearl of Joy and The Pearl Outlet, from the top:

First two - the non-Freshadama gem quality strand from PP as part of their Nov 08 specials (bought as a gift)
Next four - the Freshadama double with 8-9mm pearls from PP (now sold)
Next two - the 9-10mm Presidential Line from the Pearl of Joy with diamond roundels
Bottom two - the 8-9mm Gem Fresh line from The Pearl Outlet (my everyday strand with a basket clasp, variable length from 18in to 20in)

gemqualitycfwpsmall.jpg

I hope this will give the OP more confident in purchasing gem quality CFWPs such as Freshadamas. :))

I aim to replace the 8-9mm Freshadama double that I had sold with smaller metallic Freshadamas to form another double strand one day (clasp already purchased). :))

If I were to buy Akoyas, I would buy the natural blue Madama Akoyas as seen on PP's website as they are just beautiful!

What a beautiful collection of white pearls....stunning !

Do you have a favourite in terms of type out of the wonderful strands that you have? I'm amazed tbh lol

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you've made up your mind. But here's my two cents anyways.
I bought a Freshadama bracelet from PP and just didn't love it. I exchanged it for an akoya bracelet and I wear it all the time!
I love my various freshwater metallics, but I love my Akoyas more!

Good luck and enjoy your pearls!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apology for going OT in advance!

kattbran,

My TPO Gem Fresh strand is the workhorse.

The Presidential Line from POJ is for occasional wear when more bling is required.

I parted with the double Freshadamas as it was associated with a unpleasant event - I only wore it once to a funeral and it was once too many. More details associated with the sale can be found on another board and I shall forward you the link to later if you are interested.

I do miss not having a strand of Freshadamas in my collection, and am hoping to rectify the issue soon, hence I am eyeing the smaller metallic Freshadamas.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Just placed my order - went with the largest Freshadamas I could afford (9.0-9.5mm). Got the following:
-16" Freshadama necklace (9.0-9.5mm)
-9.5-10mm studs
-9.0-10mm earring jackets

Asked for a silver-rose overtone. I can't wait to get it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics please when you have them, can't wait!

I am sure you'll be very happy with your purchases.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1383275534|3548495 said:
Just placed my order - went with the largest Freshadamas I could afford (9.0-9.5mm). Got the following:
-16" Freshadama necklace (9.0-9.5mm)
-9.5-10mm studs
-9.0-10mm earring jackets

Asked for a silver-rose overtone. I can't wait to get it!

Great choices and I am sure you will love them!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have you received your pearls yet ??????

SMC

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1385347639|3562313 said:

They did. It took a couple weeks because they had to custom make the earring jackets. I liked the pearls, but I had to send the necklace back because the length was too short (I ordered 16" when I should have ordered 18"). It's take PP a long time to process my exchange though - my necklace arrived back to their warehouse on Monday (I tracked it) but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I suspect they're really busy with the upcoming Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales? Still, I feel like they should've reached out to me to acknowledge the receipt of my return.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1385348254|3562323 said:
katbran|1385347639|3562313 said:

They did. It took a couple weeks because they had to custom make the earring jackets. I liked the pearls, but I had to send the necklace back because the length was too short (I ordered 16" when I should have ordered 18"). It's take PP a long time to process my exchange though - my necklace arrived back to their warehouse on Monday (I tracked it) but I haven't heard anything from them yet. I suspect they're really busy with the upcoming Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales? Still, I feel like they should've reached out to me to acknowledge the receipt of my return.

I had to send my South Sea pearls back for drilling and they also arrived Monday( I checked tracking, too). I didn't hear anything either, so I called Chenai on Wednesday who checked for me and said that they had received them and she would get the process started. I think they are incredibly busy with Black Friday- and a short week this week and they changed their billing system or maybe it's their computer service (not sure- but there were some technical difficulties with the switch) and were getting the kinks out of that,too. I actually exchanged several emails with Jeremy yesterday (Sunday) as they were working on things for Black Friday all day. Who do you work with? I"d just call and talk with whoever it is. If you don't have anyone- I can certainly recommend Chenai- she's been very helpful. They actually don't have all that many employees when you think of how huge their business is, so I think sometimes they can get overwhelmed. One thing I really like is that they are small- it seems more like a little family.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results