carat
color
clarity

Pearl Experts Please Help Me Decide

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Calling all pearl experts @yssie

Takahashi sent me 3 pairs of Akoya pearls to choose from. I asked for little to no pink overtone (?). I am new to pearls and my skin tone is between medium and tan. Please help me decide which pair to get. Thanks.

2637A7AC-5A7F-419B-AD01-E1DC4FE7A017.jpeg

Attachments

• C98D957D-3E61-4040-A38C-22A413D42D4D.jpeg
    C98D957D-3E61-4040-A38C-22A413D42D4D.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Posting photos of the two (2) 8.5-9.0 mm White Akoya AAA pearl studs from PEARL PARADISE. Pls let me know what you think. Thanks. F75C8156-89A5-4BF4-9B26-813798F17D1D.jpeg

Attachments

• 4913BC76-1EE4-4B86-A394-52E20A14D814.jpeg
    4913BC76-1EE4-4B86-A394-52E20A14D814.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 805C55E6-D992-4E7A-9BB0-EACFE716E493.jpeg
    805C55E6-D992-4E7A-9BB0-EACFE716E493.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46

kikoko

Rough_Rock
1.png

I like this pair better.

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
1.png

I like this pair better.

Thanks… Can I bother you to look at the Pearl Paradise pearl studs (above post) and let me know what you think?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert.

Bottom Takahashi for me too. None of them are 100% mated but bottom is definitely the best match.

No to the WG Pearl Paradise pair, in the left pearl the reflection of the black is showing up blue/teal, this means overtone colour diff. The YG pair looks better matched. What grade are they? Impossible to compare between vendor photos but I’d be surprised if Takahashi’s akoya don’t win on value for money.

Last edited:

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
I’m not an expert.

Bottom Takahashi for me too. None of them are 100% mated but bottom is definitely the best match.

No to the WG Pearl Paradise pair, in the left pearl the reflection of the black is showing up blue/teal, this means overtone colour diff. The YG pair looks better matched. What grade are they? Impossible to compare between vendor photos but I’d be surprised if Takahashi’s akoya don’t win on value for money.

Hi Yssie.

Thanks for your feedback.
Pearl Paradise studs are AAA per the website and asked for more photos. The rep sent me those photos but did not confirm the grade.
Takahashi - I asked for AAA, Kan sent me those photos. So I am assuming they’re AAA, I’m awaiting confirmation. Should i do EMS for $35 or FedEx $110 w/ insurance… I really dont know the difference. I am in California.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi’s best will be nicer than Pearl Paradise AAA. No idea if AAA from Takahashi means “their best”, all vendors grade differently. Even if Takahashi does use an A-AAA scale alongside their numeric scale, one vendor’s AAA might be totally different from a different vendor’s AAA. Lack of standardized grading is an unfortunate pearl industry reality. Pearl Paradise lets you return which is valuable if you’re particular about body colour or unsure about size. Depends on your priorities.

Shipping from Takahashi depends on your tolerance for risk. If you pay to ship with FedEx and the package gets lost or damaged, you can get your money back. If you choose the cheaper shipping and your package gets lost or damaged, you’re out the total amount. Shipping from Pearl Paradise is always fully covered.

Last edited:

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
Hi Yssie.

Thanks for your feedback.
Pearl Paradise studs are AAA per the website and asked for more photos. The rep sent me those photos but did not confirm the grade.
Takahashi - I asked for AAA, Kan sent me those photos. So I am assuming they’re AAA, I’m awaiting confirmation. Should i do EMS for $35 or FedEx $110 w/ insurance… I really dont know the difference. I am in California.

the Takahashis are Gem quality.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the Takahashis are Gem quality.

Then I’m sure they will be nicer than Pearl Paradise’s AAA.

To clarify - I’m sure because I have bought from both vendors and understand their individual grading rubrics pretty well. Not because of the words “gem” or “AAA”.

I love Pearl Paradise. But they aren’t my go-to for akoya, Takahashi is.

AudxLauren

Rough_Rock
Takahashi’s best will be nicer than Pearl Paradise AAA. No idea if AAA from Takahashi means “their best”, all vendors grade differently. Even if Takahashi does use an A-AAA scale alongside their numeric scale, one vendor’s AAA might be totally different from a different vendor’s AAA. Lack of standardized grading is an unfortunate pearl industry reality. Pearl Paradise lets you return which is valuable if you’re particular about body colour or unsure about size. Depends on your priorities.

Shipping from Takahashi depends on your tolerance for risk. If you pay to ship with FedEx and the package gets lost or damaged, you can get your money back. If you choose the cheaper shipping and your package gets lost or damaged, you’re out the total amount. Shipping from Pearl Paradise is always fully covered.

The Takahashi’s are gem quality per Kan. Yeah your explanation about the grading makes sense. Glad that I asked PS first atleast I know I will be getting nicer pearls. lol. will go with Fedex. Appreciate everyone’s help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. By the way. I trust Yy and Kan (Mr. Seki)'s eyes 100%. So you're in great hands with both of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results