shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl earrings

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

I am a newbie to pearls and have always wanted a pair of pearl earrings.

What should I be looking for? I think I would like to go for Akoya pearls.

Where are the best places to buy from? I am in the UK.

TIA

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the world of pearls! There’s lots to learn so I’d encourage you to read as much as you can. Do you have a colour/size/budget in mind? Personally, I have bought most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise although you have to factor in postage and customs costs (They are having a 15% off sale right now which helps). There are U.K. based sites such as The Pearl Source, although I can’t personally vouch for them.

b2k2

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the world of pearls! There’s lots to learn so I’d encourage you to read as much as you can. Do you have a colour/size/budget in mind? Personally, I have bought most of my pearls from Pearl Paradise although you have to factor in postage and customs costs (They are having a 15% off sale right now which helps). There are U.K. based sites such as The Pearl Source, although I can’t personally vouch for them.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I have started to read through this forum, there is alot of great information.

I am thinking white in colour with pink or silver overtone. Size 6-7mm, would that be too small? Budget - not sure what a reasonable pricing it, so it is abit open right now.

I'll have a look at Pearl Paradise, thanks for the recommendation and The Pearl Source.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the UK, and my go-to vendor for pearls is Pearl Paradise in US.

Be prepared to pay for custom and import duties if you are buying from abroad; however, IMHO, it will be worth it.

DK :))

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

I am thinking white in colour with pink or silver overtone. Size 6-7mm, would that be too small? Budget - not sure what a reasonable pricing it, so it is abit open right now.

I'll have a look at Pearl Paradise, thanks for the recommendation and The Pearl Source.

Just make sure you order from a place with free returns (which, given customs, probably means your own country). That way you can return if you find it is too small on your ear.

Ideally you can go to a jewelry store and try various sizes on before buying online to lock in the size. It would, IMO, open up more vendors if you knew what you wanted with less potential variables…

In any event, I’m sure you’ll find lots of good options and good information in the forum!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

6-7mm is very small. Up to you of course but you might want to find cheap earrings in the different sizes to try on first.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The best size depends on many things, your age, ear lobe size etc etc. I’d say 7.5-8.0mm is a classic size but many of the ladies here rock much bigger South Sea Pearl studs. Be aware that good quality akoya pearls are having a price bubble at the moment due to supply and demand mismatch. There are plenty of cheaper vendors on Etsy, such as Wen Pearls, if you want to buy to experiment.

b2k2

Rough_Rock
I am in the UK, and my go-to vendor for pearls is Pearl Paradise in US.

Be prepared to pay for custom and import duties if you are buying from abroad; however, IMHO, it will be worth it.

Thank you DK.

Do you have Akoya or Freshwater pearls? What size?

b2k2

Rough_Rock
6-7mm is very small. Up to you of course but you might want to find cheap earrings in the different sizes to try on first.

Thank you. I was thinking of going to try some on for size. I think of 6-7mm being equivalent to a 1ct diamond but this doesn't seem to be the case

b2k2

Rough_Rock
The best size depends on many things, your age, ear lobe size etc etc. I’d say 7.5-8.0mm is a classic size but many of the ladies here rock much bigger South Sea Pearl studs. Be aware that good quality akoya pearls are having a price bubble at the moment due to supply and demand mismatch. There are plenty of cheaper vendors on Etsy, such as Wen Pearls, if you want to buy to experiment.

Thank Snowdrop for the advice on price. Didn't realise there is a supply and demand issue right now.

What do you think of freshwater pearls?

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
The pearl shrinkage syndrome is real. I thought I wouldn't like larger pearls but after attending the jewellery show and looking at large pearls, I changed my mind.

I think 7mm to 8 mm is a good size even for smaller ear lobes.

I looked at General Pearls' website and I like their ear studs. I haven't purchased from them yet because I have already had a pair from Mikimoto.

Once you see the akoya pearls, you'll find fresh water pearls too dull. Maybe edison fresh water is another story. But I am not sure if they have small size edison pearls.

If you only want one pair of pearl earrings, I highly recommend akoya pearl earrings.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you DK.

Do you have Akoya or Freshwater pearls? What size?

A pair each of 8mm and 10mm Tahitian and Freshadamas from PP.

I have lost the 10mm Tahitian pair, sadly.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akoyas do have sharper luster then FWP generally, but If you can find metallic white FWP, I think you won't be disappointed with their luster. "Metallic" refers to their luster.
These came from Pearl Paradise and are 7.5-8mm. They are not perfectly matched in size because metallic FWP are not plenteous, but close enough when worn, since they are not viewed side by side. I have large ear lobes and tend to wear larger pearl studs, but lustrous pearls can appear larger than they are. I also have metallic white FWP studs in 9-9.5mm and 9.5-10mm from Pearl Paradise. Not sure if they have any at present in their vault but you could ask.

outdoors shot white metallic earrings.jpg

But my favorite pearl stud size is 10-11mm; these are golden south sea pearls (10.8mm); they are not a bit too large for my lobes.

GSS studs from Cees posted on PS.jpeg

And these are Tahitians, 11mm:

11mm Tahitian studs, forum size photo.jpeg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For me, 11mm is my sweet spot for dressy or semi-dressy, and 8-9mm for very casual (shorts or no makeup days, for ex.) I had some Hanadama akoyas that were 7mm and ended up selling them because they were so small that I never wore them after the newness wore off. They just kinda seemed like nothing at all to me.

But of course it depends on personal preference, earlobe size etc.

This is weird but you can also check how different sizes look on you by making chewing gum into balls in various sizes (measure next to a ruler) and sticking them on your ears. Just don't get it in your hair. :lol-2:

If it was a budget issue, personally I would definitely get larger freshwater pearls over smaller saltwater pearls.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For me, 11mm is my sweet spot for dressy or semi-dressy, and 8-9mm for very casual (shorts or no makeup days, for ex.) I had some Hanadama akoyas that were 7mm and ended up selling them because they were so small that I never wore them after the newness wore off. They just kinda seemed like nothing at all to me.

But of course it depends on personal preference, earlobe size etc.

This is weird but you can also check how different sizes look on you by making chewing gum into balls in various sizes (measure next to a ruler) and sticking them on your ears. Just don't get it in your hair. :lol-2:

If it was a budget issue, personally I would definitely get larger freshwater pearls over smaller saltwater pearls.

The metallic freshwaters are best, if you can find them. Their luster is wonderful.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Both vendors have some lovely options that are not too dear especially when you're figuring out exactly what you love best.
Etsy has a ton of pearl vendors to look at, I would definitely check it out.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That pair from Pearlescence is the way to go! A great starter pair that will show you if you want to go larger or smaller with your next pair -- because no one can stop at just one! ;)2 And no Customs fees.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results