shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl drop with diamond hoops, like Kate Middleton!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been admiring Kate Middleton's collection of drops on diamond hoops - I love her style - including her white pearl drops. I already had the hoops, and then I realized I had two loose Tahitian pearls from a former strand that I'd had shortened. I sent the pearls to Pearl Paradise and they fitted two gold hoops which are the perfect size. I love them and think they go so well with the hoops. Good old Pearl Paradise!

Pearls are baroque Tahitian, about 8.5mm, and I don't know how to describe the color. Silver? The top photo is more representative of the color.

The hoops are 12mm, 14k yellow gold, 1mm wide, from A.Link with a total carat weight of 0.12.

tahitian_pearl_with_hoop.jpg

_34887.jpg

Puppy4248

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! And very resourceful to use your "spare" pearls :appl:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
they are beautiful Jambalaya! I just made my first purchase with pearl paradise for wss pearls. The drops that you are showing are definitely next on my must have. Love the gold A.link too. I saw the link for the other website you posted in the other thread for another brand hoops. I'm still debating. I think I am taking a while because can't see in person.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Oh, you are not the only one lusting after the "Girl with a Pearl Earring" look. I also have some gold and diamond huggies and hoops that I've wanted to hang drops on, but I had no idea where to find the sort of pearls I was looking for until this year, when I discovered all the wonderful vendors out in California.

I've just bought some drops from PoJ and Kojima, but they haven't arrived yet. I'll share photos when I get them.

I really love yours. Very nice.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, everyone! They've turned out even better than I expected.

Bweaves - Kojima pearls? Wow, they'll be amazing. I love those.

Victoria10 - I don't know if you've seen, but I bought some more of the HN drops and I've done a new thread in SMTB since the other was getting really long and unwieldy. I actually caved and got two more pairs of the glass drops because they were so very pretty, in deep blue and hot pink. :)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya, those drops are really pretty!

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I do need to check out your new thread. Thank you for letting me know.

I think I am going to still look for a. Link hoops at some jewelers because I still prefer the diamonds. I know a. Link designs with forever diamonds and that reassures the cut for me. I love how you have yellow and white gold hoops. Definitely creates different looks and combinations.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Middleton's public pearls are usually fakes - usually from posh brands and dearer than real pearls. But so she can say she wears fakes not real when doing one of their rare public engagements, so she can be one of us (Huh)
Increasingly not liked over here

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any recommendations for vendors of solid gold earrings with CZs instead of diamonds?

If the jewelry is made well, I usually find that CZs look much better than the crappy I1 diamonds they put in earrings. I save good diamonds for rings and I can see myself. My earrings and clasps get CZs if they look real. If you've seen my natural white Hanadama rope, the disco ball clasp is CZs set in white gold. PP got it special for me and it's a knockout.

My yellow gold huggies and hoops are gifts from my mother and are real diamonds, but I'm in the market for some white gold huggies with sparkle to hang my new drops off, too, and I hate to spend all my cash on crappy diamonds, when I really want to spend the cash on the pearl drops.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to look on HSN or QVC for cz versions. Also, if the silver is rhodium plated, it tends to look very much like white gold.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Jambalaya, can I play, too, please?

Kevin from POJ just sent me the most gorgeous 11-12 mm metallic FW pearl drops for me to hang on earrings I already own.

Yellow gold and diamond huggies that were a gift from my mother. I think this is how I'll usually wear the drops.

img_2198.jpg

Yellow gold and diamond oval hoops that were another gift from my mother.

img_2199.jpg

Yellow gold and CZ loopy earrings. These normally have an earring jacket that loops in the opposite direction, but I took the jacket off to try the drops on the main earring.

img_2203_0.jpg

The earrings.

img_2205.jpg

The drops next to my natural white Hanadama 8mm rope from PP. The pink reflection in the left pearl is me. It was breast cancer awareness day at work and we all wore pink shirts.

img_2207.jpg

My Kojima drops are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I hope I haven't overdone it with the drops, but everyone just got back from shopping in Hong Kong, so . . .

But I'm like you. I love the look of the hoop with a pearl drop. So classic.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Love the new drops B!
Icy Jade started me on the path of diamond huggies and drops...so Kate be warned.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Bweaves, very nice drops!

This could be the Kate pearl drops thread!

Wendy from Pearlescence - Kate's drops are by Annoushka and are meant to be real freshwater. I've always thought that they lack luster, though, and that the loop is too big. She also has the famous Heavenly Necklaces fake ones that she wore on the Buckingham Palace balcony. But maybe there are other fakes she wears too? Let us know! And why don't people like her? I thought everyone was swooning over her poise and polish and general princessliness! No? Do tell!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bweaves, don't forget to post your Kojima drops! Looking forward to seeing those babies! :appl:

Heavenly Necklaces has CZ hoops, but they are set in sterling silver rhodium plated, or 18k gold plate over sterling silver. They take international credit cards and ship worldwide.
http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/c/4509959/1/earrings.html

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
OOOO, I second the "Kate Pearl Drops" thread.

My Kojima drops should arrive this afternoon. I've never ordered from Kojima before, so I'm a bit nervous.

But I'd never bought from POJ before, either, and Kevin exceeded my expectations. I expect Sarah will, too.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves, you should have no worries with either of those two vendors...both are EXCELLENT!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Pirard.

So far, I've been very, very happy with my purchases from PP and POJ, and I know you all rave about Kojima.

The post came today and no Kojima pearls. I thought the post office seemed a bit optimistic when the tracking said the package would arrive today. I'm sure they'll come tomorrow.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't follow her jewellery that closely.
She (and he) are becoming increasingly unpopular because they continually say, oh we want to be a normal couple so leave us alone to be normal, them pull privilege stuff (see http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-william-kate-middletons-kensington-3765638) . He doesn't seem to want to be in line for King but they both seem to like the rank and not having to do much work. And, after all the stuff about no nannies, we are going to raise the children ourselves, they now have at least two full time.
With Her Majesty getting on now, and even Prince Charles (65) entitled to draw a pension it's felt by more and more that they could step up and do a lot more. HM is 89 and does more than them.
It's a bit cake and eat it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I see. Although I do follow her style and am particularly interested in seeing her jewelry, it has occurred to me that William in particular is being selfish. His grandparents are 89 and I think 93, and he refuses to take some of the load off them by being a full-time royal - all the while accepting the mansion in Norfolk and the wing of the palace in London, and spending millions on refurbishment. He also hates the press with a passion which is not workable in his position, and is clearly very reluctant to embrace his destiny. Now that he is well into his thirties and still refuses to work as a royal, having a normal full-time job as a pilot, I have less and less respect for him. It's like, pay the piper already!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
There are different ways of looking at the same thing. QEII's longevity has allowed her grandson an extended period in which to live and work at a regular job with regular people. This experience should help in his future work as a royal. Living on the estate helps to shield their young family from the press, which must be very difficult to deal with, particularly since they were involved in the early death of his mother. Once his father is king, all this will end, and I'm sure that William and Catherine will be taking on more public roles.

As an American we sit on this side of the ocean and can enjoy the European royalty without having to deal with any of the politics. To our British and European friends on this forum I say thank you for helping to pay for all of this so that we can be entertained. :halo:

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Let's get back to talking about pearls, please.

OOOOOOO! My Kojima drops just arrived. So pretty.

Here are Kojima's white FW drops. They have a perfect drop shape, and a softer, creamier luster than the POJ baroque metallic FW drops.

img_2216.jpg

Here are Kojima's natural color blue grey baroque drops. They remind me of coffee beans for some reason, but they match my Vietnamese baroque akoya necklace very well. The drops have hints of pink in them.

img_2218.jpg

And here are the drops next to some of my necklaces.
Top necklaces left to right: PP blue baroque akoyas 10mm, my akoya dog collar.
Drops left to right: POJ baroque metallic FW, Kojima teardrop FW, Kojima blue grey.
Bottom necklaces left to right: PP natural white Hanadamas 8mm, PP Freshadamas 8mm, PP Vietnamese baroque akoya 9mm.

img_2222.jpg

I found it interesting that my blue baroque akoyas actually looked better with the POJ metallic drops, than with the Kojima blue grey drops.

I probably should quit buying drops now . . . except . . . I ordered this unique shaped pearl from Pacific Pearls, and I'll ask you all what to do with it when it arrives. I think it looks like a leaf. Well, I'll show you when it gets here. I just don't want to stick a bail on it and say done. I want to put it in an interesting setting.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I wondered if the drops could be used like an earring jacket. Here's the Kojima teardrop with a diamond pave' stud from my mother.

img_2224.jpg

And the grey blue used in back of a tourmaline and diamond stud.

img_2233.jpg

I think I saw the Countess of Wessex wear something like that.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely, BWeaves! Really pretty drops and they look great with those beautiful huggies. How big are the Kojima ones? They look great with those pavé studs.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
The Kojima white FW drops are 15 mm high, and 10 to 11 mm wide. They are longer and thinner than the POJ drops, which are 12 mm high by 11 mm wide. The POJ drops are heavier than the Kojima drops. I think because the POJ are rounder and the Kojimas are longer and thinner. There's more volume to the POJ ones, I think.

Today I'm wearing the Kojima blue grey drops which are 12 mm high by 10 mm wide in a baroque bean shape. They are sort of mounted upside down, with the wider bit at the top. I put them on my oval diamond hoops. I wasn't sure if I'd like them on bigger hoops, but I really do. They match my Vietnamese blue akoyas very well.

img_2237.jpg

img_2236.jpg

P.S. Sorry, I didn't mean to hog this thread, but I JUST got these 3 pairs in the mail right after the thread was started. I was hoping the rest of you would post your drops, too, please.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
BWeaves, the colors of drops and your necklace match perfectly! And so shiny and pretty and you. That's a really good idea to mix the pearls as long as the colors match.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful pearl drops!!

Kate's are from Annoushka and they really seem to have very low luster indeed. I look at my metallic drops from Pearl Paradise and I honestly think they are so much nicer. Kate should discover some of the American vendors.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wearing the fakes is all part of the 'one of you' PR. However a few moments of reflection will tell you that none of the Royal Family is likely to wear American origin pearls - any more than your President or his or her partner is likely to wear pearls from any of us in England. Indeed I would be very surprised if the Duchess didn't have her pick of the gems stored over the centuries by the family. At least Camilla wears pearls every day, and so does HM the Queen.
(and I think the swinging customs/duty/sales tax/clearance fees which an import from anywhere else in the world to any EU country has been mentioned elsewhere too. While that would not be a consideration for a Royal it is for everyone else)

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Bweaves, can you share with me where you got the eye pins (which are attached to your drop pearls from)? And what is the inner diameter of the ring? By the way, your white FW drop pearls have the perfect drop shape.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm guessing but probably half drilled pearls and some sort of pendant cap finding

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Hi YC:

I sent photos of my huggies and hoops posed on a ruler with mm markings to the vendors (POJ and Kojima). The vendors drilled the pearls and chose the eyepins that would fit on the biggest earring. I don't have the earrings in front of me right now to measure the hole in the eyepin. The POJ eyepin is just a loop on top. The Kojima eyepin is a bit thicker and has a little flange below the loop to cover the drill hole. I like both styles.

I'll let you know the size of the eyepin hole when I get home. I'll also let you know the size of my earrings as a comparison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results