shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl collar size ideas?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought my wife a 9mm strand of freshadamas from PP last year, and she loves them! She is thinking of trying a 3-strand Jackie O type necklace next, or a collar, and her birthday is approaching. I can probably figure out how to order the 3-strand Jackie O (probably just do a triple strand, possibly on graduated sizes) but what about the collar? Is it a versatile style to dress up or down? What would be the ideal pearl size, and how many strands? She is a lean 5 foot 8 with a long, graceful neck.

I would describe her style as very classy+preppy. Put together but not too edgy. Usual jewelry is her AGS 000 2.35ct solitaire, a Rolex two-tone GMT, a couple of David Yurman bracelets, and her pearl earrings and necklace. Her everyday look this time of year is a tailored button down, skinny jeans, heels, and one of her Burberry winter coats. Summer; often a fitted Lacoste Polo or fit and flare dresses. She likes to dress up simple looks with statement jewelry. Thanks!

Q

Queenie60

How about a very long pearl rope? That would be something she could wrap 3 times or even a bit more to make a collar/choker style? Quite versatile. Consult PP and I am sure that they would give you some good advise on this. Good luck - sounds like a great BD present!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Queenie60|1453496375|3979870 said:
How about a very long pearl rope? That would be something she could wrap 3 times or even a bit more to make a collar/choker style? Quite versatile. Consult PP and I am sure that they would give you some good advise on this. Good luck - sounds like a great BD present!

that is a good idea, if you go that route make sure to ask for a clasp, a nice diamond one would be VERY elegant! and would help with wrapping it.

its versatile too, so she could wear it different ways. Id go with either ahoy (handama if you can afford it) or some lovely freshdama!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A triple strand is very classic and very classy. Can't see them working with collars unless it's an open neck with a couple of buttons undone. There are a few photos here somewhere of lovely triple strands ... they were three sizes.. like 6, 7, 8 or 7, 8, 9 - I loved the look of the three strands that were not graduated...tho a triple graduated strand would be pretty as well ... potentially cheaper as more smaller pearls are involved. If you ask at some of the vendors listed I'm sure they could make suggestions. Would help if you give them a budget.

A rope is also an excellent suggestion. You can't really go wrong either way :)

Such a lovely thoughtful gift ! Well done !

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Just fyi, I believe Jackie's famous pearls were faux. I believe they were originally from Kenneth Jay Lane, but no one really knows for certain. There are lots and lots of copies out there.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Jackie O's pearls were faux. There were interviews with her where she said so, saying that it allowed her to let the kids play with them, travel with them, etc., without worrying. Faux was common in the 50's and 60's.

I'd suggest either a triple (I have one from that is 18,19,20 inches with an ornate white gold clasp that adds flexibility so that I can either wear it peeking out of a collared shirt/suit jacket or with the clasp forward for more formal occasions), or a rope. True collar style chokers were most popular in the 80's (think Lady Di) and would be the least flexible option for wearing.

Here's a picture of mine (I'm reposting as all my posts got accidentally deleted by PS and are not back up yet).

_1608.jpeg

_1607.jpeg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I never want white pearls until I see cmd's photos. :angel:

I think a rope is an excellent idea. You can buy a pearl clip or shortener to fasten them and achieve different looks.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dumbo, are you thinking of a true choker look that goes snugly around the neck or more of bib necklace style that looks like a true shirt collar and can be worn as a statement necklace on tops?

I love cmd's triple strand and would go for something like that with real pearls. It's a classic design with great proportions.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I have both a dog-collar, Lady Di, type 3 strand choker, and long ropes.

As much as I love the long ropes, if your wife really wants a triple strand, don't get a long rope. When you double or triple it wrapped around your neck, it just keeps moving and doesn't lay as smoothly as a true triple strand necklace.

The dog-collar type chokers really do choke you. As I get older, I keep adding pearls so it lays lower and lower on my neck. Much more comfortable when it lays on my shoulders as opposed to around my neck.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
BWeaves|1453728355|3981072 said:
As much as I love the long ropes, if your wife really wants a triple strand, don't get a long rope. When you double or triple it wrapped around your neck, it just keeps moving and doesn't lay as smoothly as a true triple strand necklace.

There are pearl shorteners that are peanut-shaped, and fit snugly between the pearls, as opposed to the general large loop shorteners. The peanut-shaped clasp will hold the strands in place because there is no slipping or sliding.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
One more thing about a dog-collar. You don't want each strand to be exactly the same length because your neck is not a tube. When my dog collar was first made, all 3 strands were the same length, and the top strand kind of hung loose. It took several restringings of the pearls to get the necklace the right fit and length for me, where it looked good and was comfortable (sort of).

My three strand choker has 6 mm pearls. The middle strand is 2 pearls longer than the top strand, and the bottom strand is 4 pearls longer than the middle strand, so the necklace curves if laid flat on the table. It took several restringings of the pearls to get the necklace the right fit and length for me, where it looked good and was comfortable (sort of).

I'm now out of pearls from the 2 18" hanks that made up the dog-collar, so if I want to make the necklace lay at the base of my neck, more like an Egyptian collar from the old tomb paintings, then I'll have to buy new pearls and replace the old ones.

If I had to do over again, I would have gotten smaller pearls and had 5 strands. With smaller pearls, it's easier to get the necklace to fit right.

Also, You'll want spacer bars of some sort to keep the pearls in order, or a decorative plaque or clasp at the front.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I inherited a Lady Di styled pearl collar--from my mother. It was stunning and I wore it--but found it very dressy. Eventually I had it restrung into a longer double strand which was more versatile. That is the beauty of pearls--they can be restrung anytime for new and refreshed looks!

cheers--Sharon

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I had my dog collar made reversible so I could either wear the cameo or the pearl and diamond clasp in front.

img_0474.jpg

I think you may be able to see what I was talking about in a previous post, where the lower strands have one or two more pearls than the top strand does.

img_2172.jpg

Cameo in front.

img_1998.jpg

Pearl and diamond clasp in front.

img_2007.jpg

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
P. S. I'm wearing my pearls with jeans in that last photo. I don't save my pearls for dressy. I love to wear them with everything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results