shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl care? Keeping them moisturized

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I'm pretty new to pearls and I've heard that you need to wear them quite a bit to keep them moisturized. I have a pearl bracelet and I know that they're fragile and you have to be gentle with them, not expose them to chemicals, etc. What makes old pearls turn yellowish when they get older? Is it because they're dried out? How can I keep my pearl bracelet looking perfect for years to come?

and btw, I think mine are akoya pearls.

I think they yellow because they were cream to start with (at least a bunch of older ones I've seen) but in addition cig smoke, dirt, and perfume can discolor them. Wear them as much as you want but wipe them down after each wear!!! Pearls won't last FOREVER, but they should last a lifetime if you keep them clean.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
A combination of oils, dirt, chemicals and UV damage will all contribute to the yellowing process. Unfortunately the best you can hope for is to the slow down the process by looking after them properly. Wearing your pearls often is important, the natural oils in your skin will keep them from drying out. Its also important to wipe your pearls down with a soft cloth after wearing them and to give them a really good cleaning a few times a year.

Remember the old rule "last thing on in the morning, first thing off at night".

Shane Co.

Rough_Rock
Trade
In addition to the great advice that has already been provided above, here are a few rules to live by.

Store your pearls separately from other jewelry, preferably in a cloth bag. Storing them in a slightly damp linen cloth, will help the pearls from drying out in low-humidity atmospheres and centrally heated areas.
Apply your cosmetics, perfume and hair spray, before putting on your pearls.
Wipe your pearls after wearing them, using a soft cloth.
Restring your pearls every 2-5 years.
Remove spills immediately when pearls come in contact with food acids. Wipe them with a soft damp cloth and then with a dry soft cloth.

And try to avoid the following:
Contact with salt water and chlorinated water
Makeup, skin creams, perfume, hairspray etc.
Soap, detergents
Perspiration
Commercial jewelry cleaners
Steam cleaning

**edited by moderator. please read our policies, we do not allow self promotion**
Enjoy your new pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results