carat
color
clarity

PEARdon me, how IS the ASET?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Howdy!

I have a candidate pear for a yellow gold pendant. Could you please take a look at these images and give me your expert opinion? Thanks in advance!

Info on peary-berry's birth certificate:
May 29, 2015
GIA Report Number ....................................................... 5171182843
Shape and Cutting Style .............................................. Pear Brilliant
Measurements ............................................... 7.10 x 5.04 x 2.71 mm
Carat Weight ........................................................................ 0.56 carat
Color Grade ........................................................................................ H
Clarity Grade ........................................................................................ I1
Polish ............................................................................................ Good
Symmetry ..................................................................................... Good
Fluorescence ............................................................................... None
Clarity Characteristics............................................................. Feather
Inscription(s): GIA 5171182843

gia___5171182843-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia___5171182843-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

gia___5171182843-aset_white-01.jpg

gia___5171182843-idealscope-01.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
IMO to much black and white showing keep looking

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene said:
IMO to much black and white showing keep looking
Thanks for the feedback Sphene. Is there something I should look for with a pear in a pendant, as opposed to pear in a ring?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for setting I'm thinking bezel in yellow gold for this pendant. That's settled.

My open items:
1. Milgrain or smooth bezel?
Milgrain masks scratches, but the smooth dbty pendant that Tiffanys offers is lovely!

2. How the chain should attach to the pendant.
I could do one little circular ring atop the pear, like this jewels by grace moonstone
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/gallery/pendants-necklaces/54ct-antique-moon-shape-diamond#.VtEThn48KK0
I think it'd be cute, like a man bun atop a pear shaped head :lol:
Or I could do a tiny bale like the Tiffanys version
http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/necklaces-pendants/elsa-peretti-diamonds-by-the-yard-pendant-33079397

Im not wedded to this pear, and I am Definitely open to suggestions for other ones, around the same size, a little chubby probably no lower than H unless you find a high I, I'm open to Fluor...less than $900.

Thanks in advance for your guidance! :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump? Any additional input would be much appreciated :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would copy the Tiffany exactly. Smooth bezel and tiny bale. I've seen that in person and it is amazing.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
I would copy the Tiffany exactly. Smooth bezel and tiny bale. I've seen that in person and it is amazing.

Hi Gypsy :wavey:
Thank you for chiming in! I think you have impeccable taste so your feed back is greatly appreciated. I have never seen the Tiffany's version in person, so this is good input. Also, a smooth bezel will match my love bracelet's smooth look. I alreasy have a couple pendants with milgrain, so its good to change it up, and as they say, variety is the spice of life! :appl:

Do you think that diamond is good enough for a pendant? It is way less than $900, but I'm not seeing any good candidates on JA close in size up to max $900. Thanks again! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's no video huh?

I honestly do not know if it's good enough for a pendant.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you see it in person before it is set? That's what I'd do.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might call IDJ and see if they can suggest anything.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.62-carat-g-color-i1-clarity-sku-906329
and this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.66-carat-i-color-i1-clarity-sku-619036

If you like them. I know that one is fat and one is skinny, so I don't know if you'll like the shapes. I personally kinda love the fat one. And the skinny one isn't without appear either with it's modified faceting and G color.
If they can't get you an IS, can you put them on a credit card and order them and see about getting them in person to pick between them?

The feathers in a bezeled pendent would genuinely be okay with me. They are eyeclean.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy said:
There's no video huh?

I honestly do not know if it's good enough for a pendant.
Thanks Gypsy. I could have easily said to "IDJ yes yes yes, let's go!" last week, but luckily my head trumped my heart and I created this post as a reality check for myself.

I just got off the phone with Yekutiel, and he agreed that I could do better for a pear diamond, BUT if my budget had been stringent, that diamond I posted above would be a good compromise. When we first found the diamond, on paper, we were excited that it could be a good prospect. In hindsight, as soon as I got the images from IDJ, I should have picked up the phone and discussed the pros/cons of that diamond.

****Note to self and to all prospective buyers. It's one thing to find prospects that look good on paper. Make sure you have follow up conversations once your vendor has the diamond in hand. Especially with purchasing over the internet - it can be so easy to click click pay and be done, but buying and returning is more costly and time consuming than picking up the phone and having a discussion about the diamond and setting you are interested in. And posting on this board is also invaluable. It's great to have feedback from people who are NOT emotionally invested in your purchase!

Thanks to Sphene and Gypsy's feedback, I went back to IDJ to discuss what my other options are. Mind you, I would be so much more pragmatic about the purchase if it weren't my own!

For this project, I don't want to compromise in quality, so we are checking out a new pear, and the budget has been pushed out a smidge. This is definitely continuing education for me in "shopping", and I am happy that I have a good vendor to work with, and Pricescope to check in with and reference.

As for the two pears Gypsy picked out, I like the chubster, although it's a tad chubbier than what I was looking for. Had it been in NY, I would have called it in to look at. Right now, it's my backup choice, if I end up not liking what IDJ presents next. So thank you Gypsy!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we have a good one!!! :appl:
GIA 5203343663
Measurements: 7.09 x 4.75 x 2.70 mm
Carat Weight: 0.57 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: VVS1

And the kicker - this really really trips me out! Fluorescence: STRONG WHITE :love:
... what? there's WHITE FLUOR?????????????????
IDJ confirmed NO BOW TIE!

gia___5203343663-officelight_black-01.jpg

gia___5203343663-idealscope-01.jpg

gia___5203343663-aset_white-01.jpg

gia___5203343663-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little fluor fun

I hope this pear is better than the last!

radioactivepear.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd buy it just for that fluorescence! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I dig that one.

COOL BEANS!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium