shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear shaped diamond choice

TSe

Rough_Rock
Oh wow didn't realise I should worry about these things too. Thought I had my time to pick!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i already cautioned you in post #24

if you really like a stone, you will need to call to put it on hold.

as it stands, i like the e color si stone, which is still available

or option 6, which is no longer available.

best of luck to you whatever it is you choose

TSe

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

TSe

Rough_Rock
Hi

Just saw these in person and would love to get your thoughts. Please see attached photos and videos IMG_20201011_124054.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both have very large bowties across the centre which would really bother me, so personally I would keep looking. Pears are very tricky, so I'm glad you're getting to actually view them.

TSe

Rough_Rock
Yes I saw that immediately too and wondered whether that's normal or I should look at some more before I finalise

TSe

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20201011-170726.jpg Screenshot_20201011-170810.jpg here are their certificates

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TSe -

They both have huge bow ties, mushy faceting both around the tip and the head. The F is better than the H, as the F seems to have slightly cleaner faceting. But still not a great looking pear. I also wouldn't go below an F in a pear, as both the tip and the head in a pear concentrate color (the tip will be worse, tho). This can end with the tip looking a different color to the rest of the diamond. So - you can get, say, an H colored pear that looks a little warmer than H in the head, black from the bowtie in the middle, and more like a K in the tip. I stay with colorless in pears, and if you want a really white looking pear, D-E is best.

How are you planning to set it?

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband lost track of how many pears he looked at before he found mine. Fancy cuts really do need to be viewed in person, as what looks good on paper might not appeal to you visually. This is a big purchase, so you need to be sure it's The One.

The larger the bowtie, the larger the black dead spot is & the less sparkle you get. The fatter end should have crisp facets similar to a round brilliant, which then elongate down through the centre.

And I second what @mrs-b has said about the colour. Body colour showing in the tip really bothered my husband from certain angles or in certain lighting, so he went with a D.

TSe

Rough_Rock
@TSe -

They both have huge bow ties, mushy faceting both around the tip and the head. The F is better than the H, as the F seems to have slightly cleaner faceting. But still not a great looking pear. I also wouldn't go below an F in a pear, as both the tip and the head in a pear concentrate color (the tip will be worse, tho). This can end with the tip looking a different color to the rest of the diamond. So - you can get, say, an H colored pear that looks a little warmer than H in the head, black from the bowtie in the middle, and more like a K in the tip. I stay with colorless in pears, and if you want a really white looking pear, D-E is best.

How are you planning to set it?

Thanks for the very helpful comments. Colour wise they both looked fine. Although I instantly saw the bowtie and was quite disappointed. I got these two sent on special approval but I don't know how many will be available for me to see really in person. I definitely thought it didn't sparkle and light up the way a round one did.

Planning to set it on a 7mm white gold band

TSe

Rough_Rock
My husband lost track of how many pears he looked at before he found mine. Fancy cuts really do need to be viewed in person, as what looks good on paper might not appeal to you visually. This is a big purchase, so you need to be sure it's The One.

The larger the bowtie, the larger the black dead spot is & the less sparkle you get. The fatter end should have crisp facets similar to a round brilliant, which then elongate down through the centre.

And I second what @mrs-b has said about the colour. Body colour showing in the tip really bothered my husband from certain angles or in certain lighting, so he went with a D.

Thanks @Alex T ! Was it easy to look around for pears and see them in person? I'm finding it quite difficult as most jewellers don't seem to stock them readily

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best one I found on Blue Nile anywhere near your budget. This is a very nice white, clean stone with very pretty faceting. it's also a plumper pear, which, personally, I prefer. A smidge over 8k when paying with bank wire.

Two other contenders, neither as nice, but both acceptable:

The last one has a bit of junk in it, but I included it because it's *such* a pretty shape, and because pears, because of their concentrated faceting, tend to be very forgiving when it comes to inclusions. All that concentrated faceting makes anything above a VS1 redundant in a pear, so I'd strongly advise you not to pay for that level of clarity.

TSe

Rough_Rock
Best one I found on Blue Nile anywhere near your budget. This is a very nice white, clean stone with very pretty faceting. it's also a plumper pear, which, personally, I prefer. A smidge over 8k when paying with bank wire.

Two other contenders, neither as nice, but both acceptable:

The last one has a bit of junk in it, but I included it because it's *such* a pretty shape, and because pears, because of their concentrated faceting, tend to be very forgiving when it comes to inclusions. All that concentrated faceting makes anything above a VS1 redundant in a pear, so I'd strongly advise you not to pay for that level of clarity.

Thanks for this!! Just a quick question on this - would I be able to see the bowtie in these videos or is it likely that in person i would see it differently?

TSe

Rough_Rock

Also would love to see your pear if you don't mind sharing some pictures?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Alex T ! Was it easy to look around for pears and see them in person? I'm finding it quite difficult as most jewellers don't seem to stock them readily

It was actually, as he went to the diamond district in Birmingham (we're in the UK) where there are lots of traders with cases full of loose stones. He said he found it a little overwhelming though. He was about to give up & go with a nice marquise he'd had put to one side, when he caught sight of my pear & it jumped out at him. It's a chubby pear & not what he'd been asking to see, as in his mind he wanted a long thin shape, so this one hadn't been pulled out of the case for him. And that's why it's really important to view as many as you are able to with your own eyes!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also would love to see your pear if you don't mind sharing some pictures?

Absolutely! Please excuse my rubbish pictures though, as they don't do it justice. For reference it's a chubby D VS2. And also that first pear that Mrs B posted above looks beautiful to me.

746352 618054

TSe

Rough_Rock
Absolutely! Please excuse my rubbish pictures though, as they don't do it justice. For reference it's a chubby D VS2. And also that first pear that Mrs B posted above looks beautiful to me.

IMG_20180307_095921.jpg IMG_20180315_145040.jpg

Oh that's beautiful! Looks so very different to what I saw today. Looks as brilliant as any of the rounds I saw! I was wondering if it was just a round vs pear thing that the pears I saw weren't so beautiful but just means I have to shop around some more!

Thanks so much for sharing

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's beautiful! Looks so very different to what I saw today. Looks as brilliant as any of the rounds I saw! I was wondering if it was just a round vs pear thing that the pears I saw weren't so beautiful but just means I have to shop around some more!

Thanks so much for sharing

Thank you! Yes, the chubbier the bottom, the crisper the faceting can be as there is more room & it will perform more like a round brilliant.

Glad I've been able to help & I'm excited to see what you pick when you find one that makes your heart sing!

Reactions: TSe

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T -

I've only seen angled photos of your pear. Can you pls post a few straight on? Does your diamond have a bow tie in it or no? Either way, it will give @TSe an idea of what to expect.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this!! Just a quick question on this - would I be able to see the bowtie in these videos or is it likely that in person i would see it differently?

@TSe -

If this diamond had a bowtie, you would be able to see it in this sort of video, as it's straight on and well lit. Bowties don't show up so clearly on an angle.

Straight on videos are pretty good at showing up imperfections in pears - so long as the video is slow, straight on, and undoctored.

There is a world of difference between a good and a bad pear. The one I posted first is definitely a good pear. I've been collecting small pears for years now, and they're such an easy cut to get wrong! But when they're really good....oh my! - they're stunning!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Alex T -

I've only seen angled photos of your pear. Can you pls post a few straight on? Does your diamond have a bow tie in it or no? Either way, it will give @TSe an idea of what to expect.

It is very slight, so the facets are never all off at the same time, making it very sparkly. This is an old photo from before I had the extra claws added & reset my eternity. I have a new phone with a great camera, so will take some better top down pics tomorrow when it's light.
IMG_20170421_140246.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very slight, so the facets are never all off at the same time, making it very sparkly. This is an old photo from before I had the extra claws added & reset my eternity. I have a new phone with a great camera, so will take some better top down pics tomorrow when it's light.
IMG_20170421_140246.jpg

Thanks Alex - I think this sort of thing is very helpful for people.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Here is a clearer top down that I snapped last night.
PXL_20201011_214029702.jpg

TSe

Rough_Rock
De
@mrs-b Here is a clearer top down that I snapped last night.
PXL_20201011_214029702.jpg

Thanks very much. That really is helpful.
I will keep you all posted with my next leg of choices!

Also @Alex T interested to know why you added the extra prongs later on?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
De

Thanks very much. That really is helpful.
I will keep you all posted with my next leg of choices!

Also @Alex T interested to know why you added the extra prongs later on?

I'm excited for you!

As for me, there were 3 claws originally, 2 at the back & the V tip at the front. But I am notoriously hard on my hands & twice the diamond took a side knock hard enough to make it rock. After the second time, the jeweller who made the setting re-did the head, with 5 claws & a brace around the gallery. That was about 4 years ago & it has been safe & solid ever since.

Reactions: TSe

TSe

Rough_Rock

TSe

Rough_Rock

Thoughts on these? I purposely took the worst angle to show you what the worst look is

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results