shape
carat
color
clarity

pear shape?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flashboy

Rough_Rock
What does anybody think about pear shape diamonds? Do they show off a lot of light.
lickout.gif

Yupi

Rough_Rock
they're alright but don't expect they have the same "fire" as round shape. my first diamond is a pear shape - the good thing about fancy shapes is their unique shapes and also they "look" larger than it actually weighs, because people asked me whether the stone is 2 carats while it's only 1.15 carats. the bad thing about these fancy shapes is that it's hard to know whether their cutting is considered good.

tips for buying: avoid pear that are too slim - most of the ones i've seen are not very well cut and look too thin to the eye

good luck
wink2.gif
wink2.gif

Rook

Shiny_Rock
A good cut pear can look wonderful. The problem is that most pears are poorly cut. You really need to do some research an searching to find a good pear. Check www.goodoldgold.com I just bought a pear from there and it is fabulous. Also, pears are less expensive by ct/weight than rounds, and everone has a round.

Do a search under my user name and you will find a good deal about pear shapes.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Flashboy,

The question is, does she want a Pear Shape Diamond? If she does, you need to find the most beautiful pear that you can afford. Stick around here and learn some things and check out the cut chart here:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt2.htm

The length to width ratio should be 1:1.5 or close to that. Start by looking at G color and VS2/SI1 clarity in the size you want and work from there. Hang in the mall and look at those pears and get used to what they look like and what they are saying. DO NOT GIVE ANYBODY ANY MONEY to hold a diamond for you. If you have questions after you hear all the sales pitches, come here and ask. No sales pitch here, just opinions and facts. Have fun and there is a beautiful pear out there just for you.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Look at as many pear shapes as you can and
carefully note Table,Depth, and length/width
ratios. Also note the shape. Many cutters will cut their pears with squared-off shoulders in order
to save weight. This will result in increased
light-leakage. Stick with the rounded shoulders.
Length/width ratio should be in the range of
1.48-1.6 Keep in mind that the numbers don't always tell
the story in fancy shapes and as you do your
research you'll find that two pears with identical
numbers will "look" different.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Also, when searching in the stores, do not get discouraged if you see a lot of crappy looking, non-sparkly pears. That is common. There are nice pears out there you just need to look. My girl was getting frustrated and decided she wanted a round because the pears were are poorly cut. But I found a great pear that will hopefully knock her socks off.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Flash!

Diamond Bob and Barry are right on. Find out if she likes the pear cut first. Personally, I love them, but I am pear shaped too. LOL
9.gif

Check out the dimensions chart, then go "Maulling" and look at your local B&M diamond brokers. You are not likely to find a lot of pear shaped diamonds to look at in most regular jewelry stores. Round brilliants are the classic and square cuts are very chic right now. That will help you learn about color, clarity, and you'll get an idea of the sparkle. You won't know how truly great any diamond can look until you see a really well cut one. Note Rook's comments on their experience shopping for a pear cut.

DO NOT give anyone any money!!! You might get pressured by some type of sales tactic like, "Someone else is considering this diamond." Don't fall for it. If that one sells, it wasn't to be, and another similar diamond will come/be available elsewhere.

Make notes about information you want answers to, come back to the PS forum, and post your questions. Be sure to keep track of prices you are quoted and compare similar carat weight, color, and clarity by searching PS vendors.

Think of it as car shopping, sorta. You decide on the make and model of car you want, but you don't run out to first dealer you come to and buy the first car you find. You might get a better deal (better price, more options, bigger engine) at the dealer down the street. Same thing with diamonds. Larger carat weight, higher color, better clarity, much better cut, same or less money.

Good Luck in your search!
1.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Ditto....find out if she likes the pear
And if she does....you're half way there

Begin your seach and take it slow
The right diamond for her....will forever glow.

Heed the advice
your given here
So when it's time to decide
Your choice will be clear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results