shape
carat
color
clarity

pear shape stone - bowtie?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wcmom

Rough_Rock
I am looking for information on pear shaped diamonds, specifically if you should see a "bowtie", or windows, in the stone? My jeweler is trying to tell me that this is to be expected in almost all pear and marquis stones and I do not beleive him but can not find info. Please advise. Thanks!

2MACHO

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1 carat pear and even though it rated very well against the chart that Dave Atlas has on the AGA website you can still see a light bowtie when you look directly down on it. I guess it is possible to find one without but it may be very difficult.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
You can find pear shapes that do not have a bowtie, but if a pear does not have a bowtie at all it may not have a good cut, and may look dull and lifeless. (Notice all of the mays) Pear shapes are difficult and you need to view it yourself to see how it looks.

The bowtie is due to light being blocked from your head. If there is no bowtie, it could mean that light is leaking out of the bottom of the diamond, and thus not reflecting back up to you, and thus the stone is dull. Gary and Dave have both spoke many times about the bowtie effect. They are the experts on this and may be able to help you better. Gary said before that if you take a sheet of white paper and poke a small hole through it, and look at the diamond through the hole, the bowtie should not be there.

Search this forum for pear shapes and you should find some info. Also consult Dave's charts on pear shapes. The idea is to get the least amount of bowtie without losing the light return. This can be difficult to achieve.

I have been searching for a pear shape for some time. There are not that many really great ones out there. Also I have been finding that the nicer stones tend to have a 1:50 to 1 ratio or less??? I would prefer a 1:57 to 1 as ideal for me.

Maybe Dave and Gary will shed some more light on this.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Rook, Did you ever find a pear diamond? I''ve been looking at a 1.6c, don''t remember all the stats, but it has a 1.47 ratio and a 55% table. What do you think of the size of the table??? Thanks!! Abbott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results