Pear, Oval or other?

• Other

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Oval

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Hubby has hinted he is going to upgrade my engagement ring. I think he will probably give me the $$$.

I have an Emerald cut but miss the sparkle. I am not a round lover! I am however a biggest bang for your buck kinda girl........whats more I''m cheap.....my upbringing I guess.

I love love love diamonds, but I love looking at the $$$ on my bank statement. Hubby is usually the one that brings home the high ticket items - he''s a watch nut.....and has given me 5 watches over the years. I have learnt to keep my mouth shut...because he has a point that the watches go up in value and the diamonds do not! But watches don''t have the same effect on me that diamonds have.

I really like the shape of a pear but don''t know if it would perform any better than an oval. I was looking at a LTW 1:6.

I am open to other shapes but don''t want to sacrifize the size.....

I will be looking at g/h si2

Thanks

Thanks

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so...

round is out because you want something else
asscher/emerald are out because you want more sparkle than step faceting gives
asscher and cushion are out because they face up small and you want more size for the buck

that leaves pear, oval, marquise. with each you have to be careful about getting one with minimal bowtie. all face up bigger than a round of similar weight. have you tried on each to see if any flatter your hand more? sometimes once you see one on your hand the choice becomes easier.

i have a pear and i adore it. as for whether a pear, oval, or marquise would perform better, i think you''re splitting hairs as long as you get one that''s decently cut!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say pear or oval, but oval with sidestones.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
a cushion could do it for ya too :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 6:52:48 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Okay so...
asscher and cushion are out because they face up small and you want more size for the buck
Cushion can be a real deal... you just have to be careful because it is VERY easy to hide weight in a cushion. Compare the two stones below...

here''s an example... the diamond below and my diamond cost about the same amount... my diamond actually faces up slightly LARGER than this stone that is 1/2 carat *larger*. My stone is 2 grades higher in color, a grade higher in both sym and pol, a much nicer table size... very similar dimensions... same price.

Lab: GIA GIA
Shape: Cushion
Carat: 3.21 2.71
Color: L J
Clarity: VS2 VS2
Measurements: 7.67 x 9.32 - 5.03 7.58 x 9.53 x 5.03
Girdle:
Depth %: 65.5 66.1%
Table %: 63 53%
Culet:
Polish: G VG
Symmetry: G VG
Fluorescence: N. Faint

of course you have to be careful that it isn''t facing up TOO well - there are stones that do that, face up so huge they''ve lost a lot of their "inner character" in lieu of LOOK AT ME face size.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting,neck and neck at this time....

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkles, I agree with Firegoddess, try a few different shapes on and you''ll probably come to a decision as to which is best for you. A few months ago I saw a 3ct pear ring in a jewelers and although I''ve never really liked pears, I had to try it on because it was the big THREE carat. I was shocked at how nice it looked and how much I wish I could have gone home with it on my hand. Ever since then I have an appreciation of pears (and not just the large ones). Ovals are beautiful in their own right too, in fact I''m rather partial to the thought of a three stone oval ring. Sorry, I''m not helping, I like pears and ovals!

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Well how about a honkin oval w/ pear sides
emwink.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for Pear because you said you 'really like the shape of a pear'. So I think you owe it to yourself to go and see some on your finger compared with oval even just shopping but not buying any of them, leave your wallet at home.

This is really a personal decision that only you can make. I would say a well cut stone in any shape will look as good as another, so it is preference.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2007 7:38:12 AM
Author: sistagrl2004
Well how about a honkin oval w/ pear sides
emwink.gif
Oooh I like that idea too!!!
31.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had to pick between OVAL and PEAR I would pick an OVAL. Some people say that the point of the pear gets caught on everything. I''ve already had an OVAL and I really liked that it faced up larger than it''s ct. weight. Mine has a very minimal bow tie. I think a well cut OVAL would make you happy.

BUT it is up to you. Get what YOU like. Get out to some jewelry stores and try on different shapes. I''d love to come with you for moral support.
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I would take the oval. I had an oval once (now sold) and I did really like it. You can get a lot of scintillation out of an oval and they do face up quite large. I may yet get another oval RHR.

Pears are nice, but a friend had one once and complained that the pointy part was often getting caught in things or stabbing. Maybe that depends on the setting though.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 8:05:36 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 2/13/2007 6:52:48 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Okay so...
Cushion can be a real deal... you just have to be careful because it is VERY easy to hide weight in a cushion.
Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but on the whole, cushions do face up smaller than rounds of the same weight.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
sorry to bump

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results