shape
carat
color
clarity

Peach tourmaline

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
I would like your thoughts on a peach colored tourmaline. I really love the color of this stone and love the shape and think it would be great in a pendant. This particular stone measures a little less than 10x10 and is described as having an "orange with a slight tint of yellow" color. My concerns are that the color looks different around the edges of the stone around the girdle than in the center of the stone. Like a yellow/brown color around the edges. Is that how it would really look or is this some lighting phenomenon? I edited one of the pictures in paint and circled the areas of this stone that have the color I really like. I have a budget of $300 for a pretty colored stone pendant and this is a little over that. The first two pictures are of the stone. The third picture is the one I edited to circle the color I like.

_2179.jpg

peachtourmaline2.jpg

peachtourmalinecolor.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked the vendor about this? Since this is a fairly large stone, my guess is that the hue difference will be noticeable in person. Some tourmalines tend to show two colours and/or shift and I think this one falls into that group.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought 2 stones from them, and I think their photos are pretty accurate. I don't think the brownish is a light effect, I would guess it is just a little brown tinted around the gridle

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
alisonia333|1354594070|3321959 said:
I would like your thoughts on a peach colored tourmaline.
.My concerns are that the color looks different around the edges of the stone around the girdle than in the center of the stone. Like a yellow/brown color around the edges. Is that how it would really look or is this some lighting phenomenon?

Since that brownish color goes all the way around the stone I would suspect that this stone was cut with the table perpendicular to the "C" axis and that the stone had a green rind. The rind was probably too thick for the cutter to consider cutting it out and so they left it in. When the green mixes with the peach color it looks brown. Unfortunately the only way to remove the brownish area is to cut most of it out and this would leave the stone quite a bit smaller. If that color bugs you I would think twice about buying this stone, since that color may be even more apparent as the stone is tilted.

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1354595008|3321972 said:
Have you asked the vendor about this? Since this is a fairly large stone, my guess is that the hue difference will be noticeable in person. Some tourmalines tend to show two colours and/or shift and I think this one falls into that group.
Michael_E said:
alisonia333|1354594070|3321959 said:
I would like your thoughts on a peach colored tourmaline.
.My concerns are that the color looks different around the edges of the stone around the girdle than in the center of the stone. Like a yellow/brown color around the edges. Is that how it would really look or is this some lighting phenomenon?

Since that brownish color goes all the way around the stone I would suspect that this stone was cut with the table perpendicular to the "C" axis and that the stone had a green rind. The rind was probably too thick for the cutter to consider cutting it out and so they left it in. When the green mixes with the peach color it looks brown. Unfortunately the only way to remove the brownish area is to cut most of it out and this would leave the stone quite a bit smaller. If that color bugs you I would think twice about buying this stone, since that color may be even more apparent as the stone is tilted.
OTL said:
I have bought 2 stones from them, and I think their photos are pretty accurate. I don't think the brownish is a light effect, I would guess it is just a little brown tinted around the gridle

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't asked the vendor about the color, but if that hue is noticeable in person I think I'll pass. That color does bother me, though I absolutely love the peach color in the center of the stone. I don't think I love it enough to buy the stone and have it recut, though, because I haven't looked for other stones long enough. Should I keep looking at tourmalines to get a stone that color (the color I circled in the center of the stone) at a good price, or is there another type of gemstone that also displays that peach color? Thanks so much again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly discourage a recut on this tourmaline:
1. Stone can easily lose 1/3 its carat weight
2. The colour of the part you love is most likely to be negatively affected by the large weight loss.

At this point, it doesn't cost you anything to email the vendor about the outer rim colour.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You can find peach-y colored morganite, malaya garnet, zircon, possibly spinel, in addition to tourmaline. And pad sapphire, of course. :naughty: The central color on the stone you posted is gorgeous -- I am nuts for that kind of thing too. I've seen so many that made me drool over the past several months, but already have a peach-tending-toward-copper tourmaline that I adore. So keep browsing around -- you're bound to see more in your price range.

--- Laurie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Vendor's description matches the photo very well. Peach with some yellow describes it very well. So if you don't like the yellow and only want a peach coloured stone then I'd say to pass. Personally I like it as it has personality!

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1354730488|3323247 said:
You can find peach-y colored morganite, malaya garnet, zircon, possibly spinel, in addition to tourmaline. And pad sapphire, of course. :naughty: The central color on the stone you posted is gorgeous -- I am nuts for that kind of thing too. I've seen so many that made me drool over the past several months, but already have a peach-tending-toward-copper tourmaline that I adore. So keep browsing around -- you're bound to see more in your price range.

--- Laurie

Thanks so much!! The pads are SO beautiful, maybe some day. I will keep searching, it sounds like there are plenty of options :loopy:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, as beautiful top quality padparadschas are, the price tag is inversely unattractive. :bigsmile:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thanks LD and Chrono! I think I'll keep hunting. I have a feeling if it bothers me in the pictures it will bother me in real life, and there are so many stones to choose from, I might as well keep at it. Thank you!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LD|1354741500|3323398 said:
The Vendor's description matches the photo very well. Peach with some yellow describes it very well. So if you don't like the yellow and only want a peach coloured stone then I'd say to pass. Personally I like it as it has personality!

Me too, I think it's a stunning stone - the differing color around the outside only emphasizes the gorgeous peachy color on the inside for me. I don't suggest the OP buy it because it obviously doesn't meet HER preferences, but I do think it is a beautiful tourmaline. :love:

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
So I bookmarked this stone and keep gong back to it because I've been searching this whole time for a stone this color peach...not too pink, not too orange, and haven't been able to find one. I wonder if you think $350 is overpriced for this stone? I really would like to put it in a pendant, but I wanted to spend around $300 for a peach colored pendant and this is 350 for just the stone...help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results