shape
carat
color
clarity

Pawn shop experts...help!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Weird situation. I have been going to this pawn shop for 10 years or so. It has gone thru a lot of sales people. In the past 2 years, the owner’s daughter has taken over an developed a cordial relationship with me. Now. I dropped in yesterday to visit the baguette band. And there was another sales person. But, the daughter jumped in and made me the offer which was not a good price given the chipped diamonds. The new sales person heard and waited until she went to deal with a pawn to unload on me. She said that the daughter is a bitch who treats the dad like crap and only wants to inherit the money and business and moved into his house at the age of 50 plus. Then she told me that she herself is good friends with the owner and she cares about him and knows for a fact that he is willing to negotiate more on the price. She advised me to drop in when she and owner are there and make my offer which is 175 less. But. How can I do this?
I’m afraid the daughter will tell the dad that she gave me an offer already. The sales lady assured me that if she is there herself it will happen but I fear i will get caught in the middle. Yesterday I witnessed them bickering and i felt terrible about the gossip she was unloading on me!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh, well that is not at all professional, geesh.

In my experience 9/10 times if you put cash on the counter they will take it. So next time you go in have the amount you are willing to pay ready and if the owner is there then great, if it's the daughter then you just say this is the best I can do. Point out the chipped diamonds, does it need to be resized for you? Is the band too thin in the back? Any faults you can come up with to use to get the price down.

Of course you have to be willing to walk away if they won't play ball. This way you have nothing to do with the drama which you shouldn't have been brought into in the first place.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh, well that is not at all professional, geesh.

In my experience 9/10 times if you put cash on the counter they will take it. So next time you go in have the amount you are willing to pay ready and if the owner is there then great, if it's the daughter then you just say this is the best I can do. Point out the chipped diamonds, does it need to be resized for you? Is the band too thin in the back? Any faults you can come up with to use to get the price down.

Of course you have to be willing to walk away if they won't play ball. This way you have nothing to do with the drama which you shouldn't have been brought into in the first place.

You have no idea how many times I have tried this approach and it never works lol. Not in my neck of the woods. So I don’t want to go that route. Hubby says that he will go in and try that approach but I guess that I’m concerned that if I keep going to that shop, the daughter might put me on her shit list Bc she knows who my hubby is. Hubby says it’s a pawn shop and don’t be afraid to offend but I’m just not comfortable doing that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well maybe but at the end of the day money is money so just go in again and see who is there, what is the worst that could happen? They obviously see you in there a lot so they will just assume you're making the rounds.

I would not stress about this, they need you more than you need them!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the ring is still there it is not selling so you can negotiate a lower price based upon lack of interest and that the price is too high.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think she should have shared the personal family dynamics, but different people have different negotiating styles so I don’t think it is a big deal if an employee says to come back later and talk to the owner directly. If it is convenient to drop in occasionally and wait for that opportunity I would give it a try.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This advice is a little late since you left the shop without the ring but I would have just bought the ring and not given the saleswoman much attention. For her to say those things to you makes me believe she is impulsive, and perhaps a bit unbalanced. It was just over the top drama. I could not trust that person on anything they said after they displayed such a total lack of self control.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results