shape
carat
color
clarity

Pawn shop E-ring contender

liatris

Rough_Rock
First time poster, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Found a ring with the following specs: 1.36 ct light yellow (S) oval, 8 x 6.5 x 4mm, depth: 61.5%, table: 62%, crown height: 13%, crown angle: 35 degrees, no culet, VVS2, symmetry: fair (I know...). It has two white side diamonds that are oval, .4 ct apiece, vs2, Color H. The setting is 18k white & yellow. No enhancement info available on the yellow, the whites are not enhanced. When I initially saw it in the pawn shop it was tagged at $9000. Next time I went in they were having a 40% Off sale on all jewelry (lol) and the sales person offered this ring for $4,700. There's a third party appraisal but no GIA. I want this ring, but I feel like $4,700 is high for a pawn shop if the retail's $9000-ish (I'm guessing). The sales person said $4,700 was as low as "they" would "let" him go. I'm stressing, and would be so grateful for input.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
You may be able to price comparable center diamonds on Blue Nile. You can price the side stones here or on BN.

That doesn't seem like a bad price to me. Don't know whether it's a steal, but it's certainly not unreasonable.

liz

liatris

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I've been looking on a lot of sites for comps and it seems reasonable, but I guess the hope was that a pawn shop would be more reasonable because the ring is pre-owned and hey, it's a pawn shop! It's about $1000 more than we were hoping to spend, not including the dreaded tax. I don't know if we should try to keep haggling or give up.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes what has worked for me is walking away and then showing up a few weeks (or months) later...oftentimes the price goes down because they want to move inventory and the item has stuck around in their shop longer. Of course, waiting might not work for you and there is always the risk someone else will buy the item.

Also when I really want something there but want the price to lower considerably, I look through my things and get rid of some I'm not wearing much or care that much about and use it towards a trade. One shop I go to a lot knows me well and gives me very decent deals this way. Of course, they make money, but I used this technique to obtain some very nice larger diamond rings by paying cash and in addition trading a few smaller diamond rings.

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I don't have any experience in pawn shop negotiating, but I have noticed in other jewelry-related negotiation situations (markets in other countries that sell jewelry, etc.) that if you are REALLY willing to walk away if they don't come down further, then they often do come down. I feel like the typical person trying to sell jewelry (sometimes a little scummy, usually trying to rip you off) can SENSE when you are super interested and desperately wanting something. It's always the times I am on the fence, and truly ok not owning something, that they chase me out of the store with a lower price (I am mostly referring to jewelry purchasing in the Monastiraki area of Athens, in Greece, where they have a lot of really nice gold pieces that are marked up like 400% in an effort to scam tourists, but have had this experience in Costa Rica and Thailand and other parts of Greece, too).

So if you really only want to spend 3700 (or maybe say 4000 total - could you pay in cash or ship out of state to avoid tax? - but whatever the max you are ok spending) - I would say "This is how much I will give you, otherwise I am walking away" (and you have to mean it!!). If they let you walk away, maybe the ring IS worth more than that. You can always go back with your tail between your legs a few days later, if you can't stop thinking about it. But there is also a good chance that they will see that you are serious and firm, and want your money badly enough to let it go for that price.

That is just what I would do! And if you don't think you can convince them you are serious about walking away if they don't sell it for your price, maybe have your hubby handle the negotiation - I imagine it is easier for a man/not the ultimate recipient to convince a store he doesn't want a piece of jewelry than its intended wearer ;-).

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that makes sense not to show too much enthusiasm (that is hard for me - I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve)

It helps, if you like pawn shop browsing, to find a few in your local area where you like the merchandise and the character of the owner and employees. There are 2 such shops I go to, and I have done so much business with them that they trust me and enjoy my presence....that they let me do things like walk out the door alone with a $50,000 diamond ring so I can look at it in the sun or how it looks wearing it in my car, knowing I won't buy it and am just looking.

When this kind of relationship is established, it seems like they are willing to give me better deals. I know this is unusual, but I like the way they treat me at this particular shop. Many of my favorite pieces come from that pawn shop.

liatris

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughtful replies! I think the walk away approach is probably our best option, although I'm terrified someone else will snag it. If someone does, we'll just have to call it fate. I hate that I love it so much-blerg! I showed way too much enthusiasm, too. The advice about bringing some unwanted stuff to the table in trade is also good. Would that I had some decent stuff, but most of it was stolen and pawned by a psychotic ex-husband years ago-very Lifetime Original Movie. I feel confident that my future husband is a far better catch, needless to say.
Again, you guys are so kind

liatris

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the part about seeing how it looks in the car! You've definitely got their trust. And who wouldn't want to see a ring in action at the wheel?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wishing you luck!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure it's a steal, JA has a 1.4 k vvs2 for $4k, and the S color is certainly going to decrease the value if the pawnshop stone by a significant amount. The JA stone also has better proportions. I'm thinking that you could get better performing stones online for about the same money. Of course if there is something about this ring that you really like, then by all means I don't think it's a bad deal at all. looking forward to seeing what you decide to do!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Christina said- you can prob put together a ring of similar stats for around that and have graded stones. But the heart wants what the heart wants :) try to talk them down.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is overpriced for a second hand ring without a lab report and with a possibly S center. So I agree with your instincts. BUT if it's perfect for you, then... it's not that BADLY overpriced that it would be a folly to buy it.

Here's what I think. If you buy it at the current price will you be thrilled just to own it and forget about any pricing misgivings? Or will you look down and think: I overpaid?

If you get something similar made (and mounts are EXPENSIVE to have made. At about 1,000-1,500 for a custom three stone mount-- not including the sidestones) will you always think: It's not the one I wanted, but it's close? Or YES, this is even more perfect?

Cause depending on YOUR perception it could be worth it or not. And we can't help you with that. Only you know the answers.

liatris

Rough_Rock
That's very good to know but I have a silly noob question--what is "JA"? A vendor? Sorry, the acronyms are taking me awhile.

liatris

Rough_Rock
Ahhh, thank you. Having trouble hunting down fancy yellows on the site, but I'm on my fella's Nook so it may be user error :oops:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes! I hope things work out well for you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
liatris said:
Ahhh, thank you. Having trouble hunting down fancy yellows on the site, but I'm on my fella's Nook so it may be user error :oops:
if you want fancy yellows check out diamonds by lauren

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Good Luck, and if you do purchase, please share pics. Would love to see it :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madison2 said:
Good Luck, and if you do purchase, please share pics. Would love to see it :)
yes- pics are a must!!!

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1332025807|3151040 said:
If you get something similar made (and mounts are EXPENSIVE to have made. At about 1,000-1,500 for a custom three stone mount-- not including the sidestones) will you always think: It's not the one I wanted, but it's close? Or YES, this is even more perfect?

Custom settings are VERY expensive, as I am finding out. Add to that the price of the center stone, plus the side stones, and the pawn shop ring is starting to look like a pretty good deal. If you like the setting, that is...

catia

Shiny_Rock
I agree if you are looking for light yellows & fancy yellows (or natural colored diamonds in general) check out Diamonds by Lauren--
If yellows are your thing--you'll be blown away.
I'm not a fancy yellow person, & I even drooled--They also have lower colors-whole alphabet-no one there is afraid of color!!!
They post ***amazing*** pics & videos on the site --they're easy to browse & prices & specs listed up front on everything.
Also they have a forum with quite a few incredibly helpful women (and david too lol) that you can search/post/read/research.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results