shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EyeCode

Rough_Rock
Hi, All

First off I would like to thank Pricescope and the members here for opening up my eyes, it was like a breath of fresh air after I ran through some posts here and read all the tutorials and looked at links you guys provided. I have been going to B&M stores in the malls like (Kays, Ostermans, Zales, Rogers, Helzburg) and they dont know anything. I asked what cut a diamond was and I got: "Its a round cut", then repeating in confusion I got : "its brilliant round".....LOL, I got this like 5 times, I could find only 1 ideal cut, and no H&A(no one knew what H&A was). Anyway I think I am going to have to go with an internet jewerler because I cant find quality here. My question is what do you guys think about pave e-rings? My GF picked out this one last night and really liked:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Pave-Set-with-3-Diamond-Rows-by-Le_722.htm

I dont know if she will like it in 5 years or longer though. Is it something you think could change with time? I prefer these two:

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=60227
http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=1025

Both in white gold or platinum, she likes them but liked the pave more. I just think she will like the pave less and less overtime, its looks kinda old school to me. We are 23 & 22 years of age. Maybe this factors into my thinking. Just looking for opinions. The price of the ring itself is not much of a concern. I am looking to put a 1 carat round as the center stone. SI1-VS1, D-G color.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
EyeCode,

I have to say that I like the pave better than the others. If your fiance really likes the pave, that is what she should get since she will be wearing it!

Everyones taste changes over time, and having the main diamond reset is usually far less expensive than the first time purchase, because you already have the big stone.

I must say that my husband wanted me to pick out my setting and supported my decision, and because of that I was very happy with it for 15 years! Only after 15 years did I consider having the diamond reset.

Just my opinion!
2.gif

Good luck.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you looking at otehr pave settings too during that serach? Pave is fashionable now (and not just in e-rings or with diaonds), but the "look" has endured in jewelry for so long that I would not call this a "passing fashion". If she likes it enough, she will in 10 years too. It may be important to have her try some pave settings before buying one: they are substantially thicker (by design) than most others, and quite a few ladies who like the style consider these unconfortable for frequent wear... Otherwise, I believe that the overall manufacturing quality of the pave setting you point out is better than the other. However, there are thousands of choices out there!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Eyecode...PAVE!!! The others are nice, and perhaps more young and modern to some respect (not totaly). The pave is more classic, and if anything I think she will learn to love it more, especially if she alrady does. We don't get younger as we age, we get older. You think pave is "old school", but your purchasing a setting is for the future use as well. One day, you WILL be old school.

IMHO I think pave is very delicate, feminine, and classic with sparkle and not over burdened with gaudiness. I am going to get a thin pave 3mm band for my wedding band. It's not going to snag like an eternity band, and it's classic, timeless and can still sparkleup a room! Trust me, Pave she likes, pave she will like longer...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don't like any of them, to be honest. I generally like pave, but the first one is just a little too "bling-bling" for my tastes. I'd prefer a pave with just one row of diamonds. The second one is an interesting gypsy set, but probably too modern for her if she likes #1. And I just find the 3rd one awkward looking.

If she really, really likes the first one, enough so her heart beats faster everytime she sees it, then you should go with it. If she just prefers that to anything else you can try to look further.

EyeCode

Rough_Rock
We looked at some other paves on WF's site, but she didnt like them much. She kind of liked this:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Knife-Edge-X-Prong-Pave-by-Vatche_703.htm

She didnt like the 5 row pave much though:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Pave-Set-with-5-Diamond-Rows-by-Le_693.htm

She said she liked the 3 row. You mentioned there are a lot of places to look for rings style and what not. what are some of your suggestions?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I love the pave one that she likes. Pave is a classic look and has been around forever. I have pave set diamonds in my wedding ring but mine is yellow gold. I have saved the pave photos from Whiteflash as my "dream" pave rings! I don't care for the second two pictures you posted nearly as much as the first.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
I like the pave the best out of those three too. I think pave is timeless and classic, if she likes it now, I agree that she will only come to like it more as she gets older, not the opposite. Maybe a pave band with more metal in it would feel "younger" to you... like some of these.

Good luck!

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
did you notice this vatche pave band?

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hello there. I think the first pave style is very pretty and classic. I think the main difference between the one she liked and the one you liked was the pave is much more classy/elegant and the ones you liked were more modern looking IMO. I really love pave settings, but do not really like the bezel/gypsy setting of the ones you posted, they are two very different styles in my eyes. If she likes the pave, then you should def. choose that for her, as she is the one who must wear it for very long - i dont think there will be much issue of her changing her mind in five years, and if she does she may do that no matter what you choose for her. How about this pave ring? http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?Product=6850 This is one of my alltime favorite pave rings, as it has an element of subtleness and flashiness at the same time. There are definitely MANY places to find pave rings, esp. since they are very in style right now - i'm sure you can find many if you do a search for it. Have you considered any antique style rings? I always thought the pave look was similar to some antique styles. Enjoy searching.
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, now I really like both the ones that Robyn and Clownfish posted. Substantial, yet understated and classic.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore pave..my e-ring is pave eternity, one row, 2.8mm or so. My wed ring is going to be the same thing but around 2.3mm for visual differentiation. I'm not a solitaire fan nor do I like rows of pave. But everyone has their own idea of what they like...if she likes pave, get it for her
1.gif
Settings are important to love!
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Eyecode, and welcome to PS.

I have had a wide pave wedding band for about 12 years. I'm just now thinking about getting a new wedding band and e-ring setting. Not because it's out of style or I don't like it, just because I am ready for a change. I really like the look of the Etoile syle bands with the burnished scattered stones that seem to be popular now -- simple yet elegant.

There is an engagement ring by White Flash that is, to me, a blend of both styles -- pave and burnished stones. It is one of my favorites. I'll attach it to the following post since I forgot to attach it before I starting typing -- oops.

Diamondlil

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Here is the setting by White Flash that is a combination of both pave and burnished stones. Have you seen this?

Diamondlil

wfchamp.jpg

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Me personally, I LOVED the pave band e-rings from Vatche, but I am going for a classic solitaire (timeless) and the wedding band will be pave for a simple, sparkly, understated and delicate look. Perhaps that's an option for you as well?

If not, my theory for you is, get her the pave band for her stone, I loved Diamondlil's as a great compromise and a unique look! You can get a simple wedding band or even full pave band if she really likes it. But you have time for that! /idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif

Here's a set for $1250 in Platinum from http://www.platinummfg.com

Pave.jpg

EyeCode

Rough_Rock
I showed her the U-Prong Champaigne Pave by WF first and she said it looked a bit disorganized. I thought it was a very nice style. Thanks for the links, to some other places where I can get some other e-rings. If I get the ring from somewhere else other than where I am buying the loose diamond, how big of an issue could this be? If I bought my diamond from say WF/GOG could I have the ring sent to them for mounting?

EyeCode

Rough_Rock
ClownFishFunk:

She didnt like any of the antique styles we looked at on DirtCheapDiamonds or WF.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!!

I much prefer the first pave band as well.

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems like you do have an answer at least until you get to ask your girl again. There are quite a few types of pave settings, variations on the one below are to be found for any shape of center stone (Icestore lists some such variations, for example)...
If further "hunting" remains a must, you may want to take a look on THIS site for a serious lineup of designers.

Christopher Designs.JPG

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Pave is nice. What I'd like to know is what happens to the diamonds of the e-ring setting when they rub up against the pave diamonds of the wedding band?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/14/2004 10:49:26 AM goldenringlets wrote:

what happens to the diamonds of the e-ring setting when they rub up against the pave diamonds of the wedding band?

----------------

Auch! This shouldn't happen...

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the pave! In fact my first e-ring setting(this is my second time around
6.gif
) was pave with channel set bagettes. The only problem I had with it was the pave stones loosened up. I think that the issue was it was 18K which is soft. Anyone else have pave stones loosen on them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results