shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Types

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
Hi There,
Can someone tell me if there are different names for each of these pave bands? For example, How do I describe the one on the bottom of the pile? They can''t just all be ''PAVE'', can they? Any insight would be helpful!!
Thank you!

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
I can''t get the picture to come up but what I mean is the ones that look round, like the pave goes all the way around, or some look more linear, like it is on 3 sides rather than in a curve around the band....

lenhejo

Rough_Rock
if it has three sides around it you would call it a three-sided pave
if it just has one row of pave you would call it single row pave

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hi snowbunny! I know exactly what you mean...with some bands...like Reena''s new ring which I hope to see soon...there is pave on the front of the shank...a super thin wall...then pave on the top and bottom...it''s a more square shank...the other is just pave all over and it''s a rounded shank! I don''t know if they have diff names...just diff designs....maybe the experts can tell you more!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
rounded!

round1.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I can''t download the pic I want. Go to the artofplatinum home page...there is the square!

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
thanks for your help! this is the picture that i wanted to download.... see how there are several different kinds? i can see where the bottom one is round, and i guess one up from that would be one row pave, and the next one 3 row pave? But the top one is 1 row also, but it looks way different...

I am having a custom ring made so when I speak to the jeweller I want to sound like I know what I am talking about!

Thank you!

Here''s the link:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x10402.htm

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
r346-08c%20(2).jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I love those rings!

reena

Ideal_Rock
those rings are gorgeous. there are two variables here, i think. the first is that pave can be one sided or three sided, as someone else mentioned, meaning that the pave can be on all visible surfaces or just on the top, with plain platinum on the sides. the other variable is whether you have a milgrain edge surrounding the pave or not. without the edge you get that rounded look; with the edge you get a ring with three distinct "sides" that are each sort of flat. my e-ring has the latter (3-sided milgrain); i really love it because it makes the ring look more antique. the rounded is pretty too, just more modern.

looks to me that the rings in that pic from left to right are: 3 sided no milgrain, one sided milgrain, 3 sided no milgrain, 1 sided no milgrain. hope that helps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There seems to be a special word for the type of pave used on the top ring: "fishtail pave". I've heard it here although the product has been out for a while with no particular name.

34.gif
All I know is that the respective style (you get to see litle v-shaped grooves on the sides) is less complicated to make (blanks come off catalog, ready to be set with diamonds). If more than one row of pave is done this way, the spaces between diamonds are slightly deeper than for the other type of pave (bead set- like the band on the bottom). One could imagine this makes the rings more prone to damage and collecting dirt - but I did not do an endurance test myself.... For just one row of pave, the "fish tail" allows a bit larger diamonds to go on any size of band (or prongs), IMO.

Thought I'd mention... My jeweler seemd furious this morning about this new type - it makes the word "pave" mean too many different (read:more not so great) things, he says.

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
Interesting... thank you all for your insight!

The one that I like is the one on the bottom!

Reena, I think you meant that the 3rd one was 3 rows WITH milgrain? Do you think that rounded/not rounded is an appropriate term as someone mentioned earlier, or is it really the presence of this milgrain?

Valreria, you mention that the bottom one is bead set... is that a unique term to that type of pave?

I can understand your jeweller''s frustration as it seems as so many very different things are being referred to as pave....

reena

Ideal_Rock
hmmm, if the third has milgrain then i can''t see it. my ring (which by the way is also by leon, as are the 4 rings in the pic i believe) looks much closer to a three-sided version of #2. the milgrained edge is quite visible in mine. interestingly, i believe that my ring is technically bead set, and not micropave, because the diamonds are set into the setting only one diamond wide. does that make any sense? do you see how on the second ring you can clearly make out that the band is really a series of individual small diamonds set into the band in a row that''s only one diamond wide? as opposed to the first band, where you can''t make out individual diamonds at all; it''s just a smattering of sparkle? it has much more of an antique feel that way, although i adore the micropave too.

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay, i''ve posted this before, but this is what i think of as bead setting:

0502pbdq07.jpg

see how the row is one diamond wide?

0502pbdq09.jpg

0502pbdq10.jpg

this is what my ring looks like (except that it''s 3 sided and the diamonds are set more flush with the edge of the milgrain; they''re not sunk down so far.

whereas this is pave:

0702pbdq09.jpg

1200dp09.jpg

1200dp03.jpg

as far as the rounded/not rounded, i may be wrong about this but if you want the rounded look you can''t really have milgrain, and if you want the more squared off look, with three distinct sides, then milgrain works best. it might be possible to do squared off without the milgrain, but i''m not sure how.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Who is the vendor of these pave rings? What website did you get these from? Thanks for the info.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i believe those are art of platinum rings.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bead setting and pave are one and the same... sometimes when the diamonds applied are quite large (say, 20 points or so) the result is no longer called "pave" but "bead setting". Those little bits of metal (the beads, literally) are always present, only their size decreases with the size of the diamonds, so the smallest versions do not really show without magnification.

Micro pave is done the same, only on a smaller scale.

The rings in the stack are really fine, btw.
1.gif

happysnowbunny

Rough_Rock
I am not sure where these rings are from... I would like to know myself... I got it from this link:

(kayla17 says that LM emailed to her...)

Thanks for all of your thoughts...

Reena, your diagrams & explanations were very helpful....

Does anyone have pictures of pave vs micropave? Is it just the size of the stones?

THANKS!!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2004 3:49:42 PM
Author: happysnowbunny
I am not sure where these rings are from... I would like to know myself... I got it from this link:

i believe they are art of platinum rings.

tmthai

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/1/2004 10:48:49 PM
Author: happysnowbunny
r346-08c%20(2).jpg
Hi! I really like the bottom band (3 pave eternity, no milgrain). Does anyone know where I can buy (online) a set without having to buy the center stone? I already have an ering, but am looking for a new setting with a matching band? I like the 2.0 mm width. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! I''ve tried to do a google search on "pave settings," but haven''t had any luck. Is this something that I will have to have custom made? Thank you!

tmthai

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the links, I will check them out! I''m looking to reset my w-ring and really like the pave setting! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results