shape
carat
color
clarity

pave quality

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am looking for small, everyday pave diamond drop earrings to wear, and have noticed that diamonds used for pave are often I1-I2. Will this be noticibly different to my eye compared to SI1-2?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the type of inclusion I guess, a black carbon versus a wnite inclusion?

Ca you link some styles you like and your budget?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, PintoBean.

I am looking for dangle pave diamond earrings in a simple shape and design, about a half-inch in diameter. I prefer white gold. My budget is $1K, but the less, the better.

I love these pave disc earrings:
http://www.ileanamakri.com/diamond-disc-earrings-w-d/

I saw these Meira T earrings, but they are too small at 0.33 inches:

I like the diamond shape of these HOF earrings, but would prefer it be all pave (instead of one bigger diamond in the middle):

ileanamakri_diamond_disc_earrings_w-d_1_2.jpg

hof_sweet-dream-halo-earrings-1.png

meirat_diamonddrop.jpg

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1452895039|3976521 said:
I am looking for small, everyday pave diamond drop earrings to wear, and have noticed that diamonds used for pave are often I1-I2. Will this be noticibly different to my eye compared to SI1-2?

Hi pregcurious - - full disclosure I'm in the trade and carry pave jewellery
I1-I2 goods are often used because it helps to keep the price down so that this type of jewellery, which can have quite a bit of total diamond weight, is more affordable. With smalls under a certain size, you don't need to be overly concerned with the clarity as it tends to get lost in the overall look - colour will have much more of an effect on the overall appearance of a piece. Having said that, if you are interested in a particular design but would like a different diamond quality, maybe ask the vendor if there are a range of options available for stone quality (be aware that the price will obviously change as the materials being used changes). For example if one of the designs that you like is offered in H/I colour & I1-I2 clarity, maybe ask the vendor if they do a H/I SI2-I1 option, or a H/I SI1-SI2 option or a F/G VS+ option...whatever...many won't, but some will.
Many items also use 8/8 (single cuts = 8 crown & 8 pavilion facets) so you may be able to increase the colour and quality but still keep the price down as these goods are generally quite a bit cheaper than round full cuts (there will be a slightly different overall look so make sure you're comfortable with how these look first).
Hope this helps

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, PintoBean. That is really pretty! I totally forgot about IDJ. I'll have to buy something there in person the next time I am in NYC, which will probably be this summer.

ADN, thanks for your input. That is very helpful.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1452895039|3976521 said:

Yes, you will notice a substantial difference between I1-I2 melee and SI1-SI2. The lower grades of melee are generally cut to a far worse standard and have much lower clarity than you would suspect just looking at the grade. Since the cost of melee is about 1/2 stone and 1/2 the labor to set them, there is little reason to use the lower grade of melee. My blunt advice...don't do it, you won't like it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Michael E.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree completely with Michael E. I1-I2 pave will look deadly dull IMO. Stay away from it and if you choose IDJ make sure to speak with Yekutiel and let him know you want PS quality pave. Their online store is not the same quality as what PSers need so you need to make sure to have a personal chat with him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results