shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Problem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jadove

Rough_Rock
Now I know when I got a pave e-ring I had to be delicate with it...but here is my situation!
I only picked up my ring last Saturday. I have been very careful with it i.e. don''t wear it when I am doing the dishes, lifting anything heavy, etc. However, I noticed 2 nights ago that 1 little diamond had fell out. Now I noticed this morning that ANOTHER ONE has falled out.
Those of you who have pave and a diamond fell out...when did it happen? Right away? I trust the jeweller who made my ring and I know they will fix it for me...but is this going to keep on happening??
Help!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Gee, that is so unfortunate...sorry to hear this!

Honestly, I would seriously question the workmanship of that pave-work- this should not be happenning- the ring is not even a week old yet!!

Do you have some kind of guarantee from your jeweler? I am sure they will take care of it, but that is ridiculous!! I love pave, but this is what scares me about it. However, I do have to say that if pave work is done right, you shouldnt really have many problems at all.

I hope you can come to some kind of resolution with this...bring it back to your jeweler asap.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
While pave designs are delicate and there is going to be a risk of loosing stones, I wouldn't think you should have problems this soon. I have had my pave ring since last May and haven't lost any stones yet. I am careful with it, but it has been in the ultrasonic cleaner a number of times with no problem. I would certainly talk to your jeweler about this.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey Jadove,

I lost two stones in my setting within 6 months.

Almost everyone I know on PS that has extensive pave on their ring has lost a stone. However, most of the pave sets are pretty new, so I don''t know how they will fare within a few years.

My friend got hers from Leon, lost a stone, and hasn''t lost one since. It''s been about 9 months. Not much of a statistic I know, but I think with so many stones, you''re bound to lose 1 or 2.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
jadove - I am so sorry to hear about this!!!
32.gif
I would ask your jeweler to really thoroughly review the WHOLE ring to make sure it doesn''t happen again! Well-set pave should NOT be falling out on a brand new ring! One or two stones over the lifetime of a ring is, unfortunately, possible for well-done pave, but it sounds like you have been treating yours very carefully and it is SO NEW!!

As for how common the problem is...I think that there is an inflated sense of how often people have problems on PS because people only really talk about times that they lose a stone and how upset they are. Check out this poll that I started several months ago, and you can see that the vast majority of pave-owners do NOT have a problem with losing stones. Something really must be wrong with your ring to have this happening!! I hope you get it fixed, and they check all the other stones too so it never happens again! Good luck!!!!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have three sided pave but I was told to think of the ring like a house (the melee needs to settle into it''s ''foundation'') and that pave falling out the first few months shouldn''t be a huge surprise. But two in a week is a bit much..make sure to get your jeweler to go over your ring well in case of a workmanship problem or something that can be easily fixed to remedy this problem, HTH
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's been about a year that I've had my halo setting with very thin shared prong shank. I lost a stone in the shank 2 times, but each time I THWACKED that ring so hard by accident, I thought for sure that something worse would have happened. So....it's not right that these just keep falling out! Go to your jeweler and talk to him....the workmanship doesn't seem too good if you can't remember giving your ring a good reason to let go of a stone (like a thwack!).

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I have 3 sided pave.. and wear my rings more than I should (to the gym even) and I''ve been ok for 1.5 years.. no problems.

Just wanted to chime in for the "no problem" with pave crowd.

I do however expect to have to maintain my ring in the future. But for now it''s been fine.

I would certainly take your ring back - they should not be falling out this early in ownership. My only other friend with pave - took her about 4 years before a stone popped out.

Have them give the ring a once over.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jadelove,

I have a michael b. pave engagement ring and have never had a diamond fall out, but we got our wedding band (three sided pave) from our jeweler and I have already lost 4 small diamonds. At this point we are going to return it becauce I have only had it for 6 months and I am pretty careful with it. I have had the engagement ring for 1 1/2 years no problems...

I think Pave is pretty tricky. And although my local jeweler has quality diamonds and benchmen, I don''t think they had the same expertise as say Michael b. does since pave is what they are famous for.

I am sure your jeweler will replace them and I would voice your concern.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I wore my pave ring almost daily for over a year and I hadn''t had a single stone fall out (I don''t own it anymore).

jaime3025.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, sounds like a workmanship issue. pave can be tricky and there is always the potential of it falling out. Leon Mege, who makes a lot of pave rings wrote this article on pave and it really helps explain how pave works if you have time to read it.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Pave'' work is available in several price ranges.
Many retailers don''t know the differences in quailty, and go for the lowest price.
If you are losing stones, you weren''t well-served.
Pave'' settings should NEVER release diamonds unless the rings are sized up or down several sizes, and no final inspection is performed by a competant setter.
Return the ring for correction, and expect no more issues. If the problem persists, return the ring for a refund.
There is no excuse for stones falling out of settings.

jadove

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going to take it back to the jewler and ask them to replace the missing stones ASAP. Hopefully the problem will not persist. But I will be sure to tell them that if the stones keep on falling out, I want a refund!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have micro-pave'' eternity bands by OGI (I have three of them) and have had them for a number of years now and I have never had a problem. I don''t take them off when I do stuff w/ my hands, and I put them in all types of jewelry cleaning devices incessantly.
While I can be understanding of perhaps a problem here or there (although I do tend to believe that if the workmanship is on par the stones should not fall out), but just getting your ring and already losing two stones... we''re talking a major quality issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results