shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave: Fragile?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
I''ve seen a number of posts on PS regarding losing stones out of Pave - but not a real consensus of how fragile it is.

My wife is a pianist... My questions is whether Pave is suitable for everyday wear, and in particular how much of a beating it could take on a piano? I mean, some piano music is nice and gentle, some isn''t; sometine she takes off her rings, sometime she doesn''t.

Should I avoid pave and go for engraving or a three stone setting?

7.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, does she normally bang the part of her hand where a ring would sit when playing piano? it''s been years since I played but I was always taught to hold my wrists up so there would be no way a ring would even touch the keys. If she does hit rings on the piano keys, I''d stay away from pave for an everyday ring. it just isn''t designed to take that kind of beating IMO. What type of ring does she want? many woman may be wiling to make sacrifices for their dream setting..i.e taking it off when doing hard work in order to have it. if she really wants pave, then she might be willing to do what it takes to keep in in tact. She may not want to mess with it and opt for a 3 stone or engraved setting, I''d find out what she wants
1.gif

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ALWAYS ask when making a big purchase.

Nothing worse than persuing jewelry after you have purchased, and have your wife say something like..."Oh I just love that!" or " Now thats my dream ring" and you have just spent thousands getting her what YOU thought she''d like.

It just happened to me yesterday as a matter of fact..and she WAS involved in the process of choosing the ring I got her.

As far as pave goes, my wife is delicate on her hands...but in my opinion its luck of the draw in regards to if the pave falls off or not.

-G

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
I''m definitely getting her input, she loves paved halos which is why I''m asking.

I don''t think she actually bangs her rings into the piano keys - it''s more shaking, shock and vibration (which travels through her hands). Most pave makers (or so I''ve read) recommend against using ultrasonic cleaners - and all they do is vibrate the setting.

She works at a university and sometimes takes off her rings (and puts them on the corner of the piano), not something I''m worried about for a $300 dollar ring (her e-ring); but somethnig I would discourage her from doing if it were worth orders of magnitude more.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have the same feelings that you do in regards to fragility, but a woman wants what she wants.

Who are you considering going with?

I am going to putting my order in the next few weeks with a designer for a halo-type micropave ring.

-G

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 2:08:06 PM
Author: rjdodd
I''m definitely getting her input, she loves paved halos which is why I''m asking.

I don''t think she actually bangs her rings into the piano keys - it''s more shaking, shock and vibration (which travels through her hands). Most pave makers (or so I''ve read) recommend against using ultrasonic cleaners - and all they do is vibrate the setting.

She works at a university and sometimes takes off her rings (and puts them on the corner of the piano), not something I''m worried about for a $300 dollar ring (her e-ring); but somethnig I would discourage her from doing if it were worth orders of magnitude more.

hmm, well if it were me, I''d probably get the pave halo. I can''t really see how she''d hurt it from playing the piano if the rings aren''t actually touching the keys. You are right some do not recommend ultrasonics for pave but others do. Have you looked at Ritani settings? They are pave but seem to have a bit more metal protecting the stones. The gals here who have them have been very pleased and I know a couple of the Ritani pave owners put them in the ultrasonic for cleaning.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi rjdodd. Looks like moosejaw and mrssalvo have given you some great advice!

I wonder too about how to ensure the setting is a good one. Personally, the only time I had a stone pop out of pave is after it''s been sized. Sizing pave is a big NO-NO, despite what a salesperson might tell you. So I guess if there is any pave on the shank, make sure you get the ring in her size to start with.

How nice to have a pianist in the family!
16.gif

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks.

Moosejaw - Haven''t got so far as picking a setting (or designer) yet, I still have plenty of time, anniversary is not until the end of June.

mrssalvo: I''ve looked at some of the Ritani settings, it good to hear that they hold up well.

starryeyed: Sizing is one othe things I''m worried about. How much can you size down with beads?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get what she wants and find a good local jeweler who will replace your melee at a good price (or free if you order the setting through them).

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree, get what she wants and don't worry about it. I have three-sided micro pave on the shank of my three stone ring with a small sizing area on the bottom. I have had it sized down and I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner every week and I have not lost a stone after nearly two years of daily wear. I do take reasonable precautions with it though, but that should apply to any fine jewelry.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 4:11:13 PM
Author: rjdodd
Starryeyed: Sizing is one othe things I''m worried about. How much can you size down with beads?
Hi rjdodd. I''m not sure about how much slack beads take up in terms of size. I put beads in a ring to keep it from spinning. Maybe I didn''t give them a chance, but I never got used to them, and actually find them a little uncomfortable. I hardly wear the ring as a result. That''s just me though. You can get a ring guard too, I suppose.

Sounds like sundial had her ring sized. It probably depends on the type of pave and how much of a size adjustment you''d need to make. Can you order the ring in your wife''s size?

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Hey there starryeyed,

I''ll definitely be ordering the ring in here size (10), but she''s losing weight so it''s a question of how long that will remain her size.... Mind you she''s lost a bunch already and her e-ring still fits right, so maybe fingers don''t change size by as much - way outside my area of expertise.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Well, congratulations to your wife!!
36.gif
Dieting and losing weight is not easy!

I''m not sure how much a finger size can change, but maybe you should wait until her weight stabilizes?

Maybe someone here has been through a big weight loss and can chime in with some good advice about finger sizing.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree pave settings shouldn''t be size much, if at all. you might want to wait on the setting until she''s close to where she''s planning on stopping the weight loss. Congrats to her though, that''s quite an accomplishment.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Should be okay if she takes it off when gardening, boxing, and just before she clobbers you with a left hook to the jaw because of some insensitive remark you've made (just because you're a man).

Otherwise she's fine. Don't worry about it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I notice my finger size changes when I gain or lose even 5-10 pounds. No idea if this is typical for other people.

As others have said I would go with the pave if she wants it, but I would choose one that is really really well made (either from a well respected brand such as Ritani of Facets for example, or from a well respected craftsperson.) I have a poorly made channel set ring that was always getting loose stones. I have a well made bead set eternity band that has not had any problems (knock wood!)

I would recommend her NOT taking the rings off at school - so many people lose rings this way! Make sure you have good insurance too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results