shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Diamonds in WG or Platinum? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
I am getting a ring made with pave diamonds on three sides. The woman at the store said to get in made with white gold, because it will hold the diamonds in better. Later on I went to Fortunoff and the sales lady there said that is incorrect, that platinum would hold the diamonds in better. She also thinks the reason the orginal lady told me WG, was because it is an easier metal to work with. What are your opinions? Thanks!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
WG is an easier metal to work with. White gold yellows and platinum does not. I would actually go with Platinum if you have the funds. If you are not wearing the ring all the time then I would go for WG for the price. just my 2 cents.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. Which metal will "hold" in the pave diamonds better?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea which metal would hold in the diamonds "better", but I can tell you that I have a white gold ring with three sided micro pave on the shank and I''ve worn it for nearly two years now with no lost stones or any other problems.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The skill level of the craftsman will be as important as the alloy used. Gold is harder/more scratch-resistance, but platinum alloys are denser, stronger and withstand impacts better. Here is an overview of some of the more common alloys.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I''d choose platinum if budget isn''t an issue. Most high end designers use it although some will do a WG version. Mark Morrell will only use platinum and explains why on his site:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/platinum_purity.htm

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies. It seems that the woman I spoke with really prefers WG for some reason. When I called to ask to switch to platinum- she said that over time platinum will turn dull and darken (even on the top) and that white gold remains shiny and is easily refinished. That if a diamond falls out of white gold it can be replaced, not so for platinum. Is this all true? Thanks

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 1:55:49 PM
Author: DiamondSeeker7
Thanks for your replies. It seems that the woman I spoke with really prefers WG for some reason. When I called to ask to switch to platinum- she said that over time platinum will turn dull and darken (even on the top) and that white gold remains shiny and is easily refinished. That if a diamond falls out of white gold it can be replaced, not so for platinum. Is this all true? Thanks

That''s RIDICULOUS! OF COURSE diamonds can be replaced in platinum settings ... perhaps just not by THAT SHOP. Some jewelry stores don''t have on site craftsmen that work in platinum (tools or skill, whatever ... they can''t do it). It sounds like the jeweler wants your business but will only be able to service WHITE GOLD in their own shop.

Platinum does develop a "patina" over time but that just makes the diamonds stand out more IMO ... many folks PREFER that look over the in-your-face-shine of re-dipped White Gold. Also depending on your skin chemistry ... your White Gold could need FREQUENT re-dipping/maintenence.

Maybe you should find a jewelry shop that DOES work in platinum if that''s what you prefer.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum can get kind of a patina...which I love. It''s not dull, just a different look. Platinum looks more silvery and WG will have a slightly warmer hue. It''s a personal preference on the color.

As for the WG...I don''t know if she''s telling the truth, but it''s just a guess. I''ve been looking at getting a custom pave band and many of our reputable vendors here at PS have been steering me towards platinum for the pave, while they said either would work for the solitare I was also checking out. If they were just trying to upsell me on the platinum it would make sense that they would always recommend platinum. But I don''t really know.

WG generally does neet to be replated every so often to maintain it''s whiteness, and for some people that often is REALLY often. One of my good friends has to have her WG ring replated every 6 months due to the PH in her body. Since she didn''t buy her ring near here, she has to pay $50 every time, so the $ she thought she was saving with the WG seems to be diminishing fast. If you don''t know how you will react to WG, go with platinum.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, the one with the better craftsman that sets the stones well is the one that will hold the diamonds in better.
2.gif
Stones can fall out of both wg or platinum settings if not set securely. But either metal will be fine unless you''re going to put your ring through a meat grinder.

I prefer platinum though I have rings in both metals. Platinum does scratch easier and can develop a dull patina over time that is easily polished out with little to no loss of metal. White gold may yellow over time as the rhodium plating wears off, so those rings may have to be replated with rhodium.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2007 2:19:14 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Honestly, the one with the better craftsman that sets the stones well is the one that will hold the diamonds in better.
2.gif
Stones can fall out of both wg or platinum settings if not set securely. But either metal will be fine unless you''re going to put your ring through a meat grinder.

I prefer platinum though I have rings in both metals. Platinum does scratch easier and can develop a dull patina over time that is easily polished out with little to no loss of metal. White gold may yellow over time as the rhodium plating wears off, so those rings may have to be replated with rhodium.
Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results