shape
carat
color
clarity

Path to engagement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nek

Rough_Rock
Dear PS forumites,

I have been lurking on this website learning everything i can for over a week and have now decided to join. I plan to propose to my GF within roughy 4-6 weeks and thus i am frantically trying to educate myself in the world of engagement rings before i make the biggest purchase in my life. I was hoping this forum may be able to provide me with insight and feedback which i couldn''t hope to obtain without years of study and experience.

My budget is approximately AU$20k. I have been searching the online catalogues from PS vendors trying to find the best possible diamond and setting. It appears to me that it is a much better deal to buy from a PS vendor online than at my local jewellry store even though i am in Australia. I am tending towards a 1ct round diamond. Ideal/Signature Ideal Cut, Colour D-E, and then best possible clarity. With regard to setting i am unsure but I am tending towards platinum, solitaire style, band diameter approximately 2.1mm without the diamond sitting too proud in a six prong setup. I want something classic , timeless and really elegant. Something that my future wife and I are going to love seeing and attribute great memories to forever.

I have spotted this diamond on Blue Nile.
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-e-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01415056?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Any thoughts or ideas at this stage would be most welcome and those who are interested i will keep updated as i hopefully and quickly near my goal.

Kind regards,
nek.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 8:42:37 AM
Author:nek
Dear PS forumites,

I have been lurking on this website learning everything i can for over a week and have now decided to join. I plan to propose to my GF within roughy 4-6 weeks and thus i am frantically trying to educate myself in the world of engagement rings before i make the biggest purchase in my life. I was hoping this forum may be able to provide me with insight and feedback which i couldn't hope to obtain without years of study and experience.

My budget is approximately AU$20k. I have been searching the online catalogues from PS vendors trying to find the best possible diamond and setting. It appears to me that it is a much better deal to buy from a PS vendor online than at my local jewellry store even though i am in Australia. I am tending towards a 1ct round diamond. Ideal/Signature Ideal Cut, Colour D-E, and then best possible clarity. With regard to setting i am unsure but I am tending towards platinum, solitaire style, band diameter approximately 2.1mm without the diamond sitting too proud in a six prong setup. I want something classic , timeless and really elegant. Something that my future wife and I are going to love seeing and attribute great memories to forever.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-e-color-vvs1-clarity_LD01415056?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Any thoughts or ideas at this stage would be most welcome and those who are interested i will keep updated as i hopefully and quickly near my goal.

Kind regards,
nek.
Welcome Nek!

Firstly you might be aware you can lower both colour and clarity and still have a great looking diamond if the cut is excellent, but I assume this is your preference which is absolutely fine!

The diamond looks promising, personally I like to see an Idealscope or ASET image of a diamond to be able to evaluate it properly, however BN don't offer these images regrettably. However it shows potential.

Depending on where you are in Australia you could also look at

www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au Garry posts here as an advisor and is located in Melbourne if that is any good to you.

Also some have had success with www.jogiadiamonds.com

Also don't rely on labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc especially if vendor applied, these are no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

If you are open to buying from one of the PS vendors who have in house diamonds with all the info you could need to make an informed choice, I would check out -

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.jamesallen.com

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would agree with Lorelei. Because you are so far away, and returning would be a real hassle, I would recommend a vendor that provides all the info that will tell you about the diamond. Clarity at VS2-SI1 can be perfectly fine (many SI1''s are totally eyeclean). On lowering color slightly, G is safe at almost any size, and by lowering, if you wanted, you could get a slightly larger diamond, or save money! As she said, CUT is key, it''s what makes the diamond dazzle you.
28.gif

With your budget you will certainly end up with a smashing setting!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I want to put in a plug for Jogia.
I have just purchased from them, and the cut of my diamond is TO DIE for!!!

Also, the quality of the setting is 100 % A+++

I introduced my ring in SMTR only recently...
a traditional Tiffany style...

I think with your budget, you could definitely consider going for the colourless range,(to F) and maybe VS2 in clarity, if you are certain about the size you are looking for...
some people are colour sensitive, other people are not. F was my sweet spot.

Otherwise, drop the clarity to SI1, but specify Eyeclean (for me, that meant top AND side views! No black inclusions, please!!) For a bigger saving again, go to colour G and go up a bit (or a bit more) in size!

Very many on PS love their colour H, I (and beyond) diamonds, because it hits the 'just right' button when all components of the diamond's beauty are considered. some people prefer the warmth.

That's why seeing diamonds in person can really give you an advantage! It helps you find where you fit!

Cut is really the 'gift that keeps on giving ' though... running your prospective purchases through the Holloway Cut Advisor (see in 'tools' at the top of the page) can help you find the sparkliest! Also, other diamond viewing tools such as Idealscope, Hearts and Arrows images, etc.

When considering diamond specs AGS and GIA are the best labs to depend upon...
AGS 000 is generally considered the creme de la creme of cut grading...

I'm by NO MEANS an expert though, I'm just a consumer fresh from a very happy and long-anticipated purchase.

But I see you only have a few weeks, so you don't have much time to find the 'diamond of your dreams'!!

I would definitely consider an upgrade policy diamond and vendor as well...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 8:47:56 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/30/2009 8:42:37 AM

Author:nek

Dear PS forumites,

I have been lurking on this website learning everything i can for over a week and have now decided to join. I plan to propose to my GF within roughy 4-6 weeks and thus i am frantically trying to educate myself in the world of engagement rings before i make the biggest purchase in my life. I was hoping this forum may be able to provide me with insight and feedback which i couldn''t hope to obtain without years of study and experience.

Kind regards,

nek.

Welcome Nek!

Firstly you might be aware you can lower both colour and clarity and still have a great looking diamond if the cut is excellent, but I assume this is your preference which is absolutely fine!

The diamond looks promising, personally I like to see an Idealscope or ASET image of a diamond to be able to evaluate it properly, however BN don''t offer these images regrettably. However it shows potential.

Depending on where you are in Australia you could also look at

www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au Garry posts here as an advisor and is located in Melbourne if that is any good to you.

Also some have had success with www.jogiadiamonds.com

Also don''t rely on labels such as Ideal Cut, Premium Cut etc especially if vendor applied, these are no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

If you are open to buying from one of the PS vendors who have in house diamonds with all the info you could need to make an informed choice, I would check out -

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.jamesallen.com

Ditto :), with the Aussie dollar being as poopie as it is I would really urge you to look on home shores at the momment, you really lose a lot with the exchange rate and with import charges and duties wil jack the price up even more.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I got so excited about responding (like you were going to rush out and buy the diamond THIS VERY MINUTE on the internet) that I didn't even read your post right.
I see you are clear on colour and clarity.

My apologies!

I am certain you will find something fabulous, and I do think you should stick with GIA / AGS gradings...(you probably knew that already!! )

I think you should call Jogia (and Gary Holloway, although I've never had any dealings with him).

There's a couple of other Australian diamond dealers worth looking at as well, in Australia, is there not? Like Delphi Diamonds (don't know them personally, but they are based in Sydney, which may be helpful to you)

www.delphidiamonds.com.au

There's others as well, http://www.diamondexchange.com.au is another one, but I'm not sure whether to post links for these other businesses, as I can't really recommend anyone except Jogia.

for me, it was a great help going in to look in person (Jogia is in Perth)... it really helped me clarify just what I was wanting in my diamond...however, being Australian based it can probably lower the anxiety factor, even if you are still dealing with couriers...

Time is against you, but you could consider buying the diamond separately, and then having it set locally? Again, I found it great to be able to go in while the ring was still a work in progress and have a little tweak...hmmm...

Also, working with these diamond merchants, you should be able to customise your ring setting, any way you like!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmmm. Looks like I better contact my webmaster, that link does not point to a stone...

Thanks for trying though.

Can you please tell me which stone you are pointing to so I can let my web tech know, it might help him in tracking down the problem.

Wink

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ira, somehow your link's selection's cut is not selected.

I think these are within OP's parameters. Maybe the 1.07c is just in budget before import tax though.
Link here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 12:21:53 PM
Author: Wink

Hmmm. Looks like I better contact my webmaster, that link does not point to a stone...

Can you please tell me which stone you are pointing to so I can let my web tech know, it might help him in tracking down the problem.

Wink
I have been on your site much of the afternoon Wink, all seems fine that way.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:21:53 PM
Author: Wink

Wink
I''m back.

Wink the appearance of your diamonds on the "search by cut" database works as intended, or not. That is...it works today as it worked before, but this is not a helpful way to work for lazier folks like me.

This is the one I intended.

The relationship between the link and the incidence on the Pricescope database, as it''s intended, is unclear. On the Pricescipe database, you do there identify a link to your diamond, but when you select the link, you just come to the HP search template, and you have to start again. As last time, the pattern is...not only do you find the intended diamonds, but others as well. If you''d entertain florescence, there''s a cherry larger one you may want to consider, too.

Anyway, the possibly good thing about this arrangement is seeing more diamonds that otherwise might not make it to the Pricescope database. The bad thing is that you may not bother to search the second time. This way, in part, the idea of a single integrated search is defeated. The good news is that you have a hope of at least finding the one you originally saw to begin with, when starting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a gorgeous diamond Ira!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Aye, Lorelie, that is a nice one,

Though the db problem''s somewhat more involved than I thought.

See, I didn''t realize that option has significant flor, too. So, if you''d look at that one, you might look at this one, then, though it has even more flor.

But, trying to go direct to the Infinity db, bypassing the Pricescope search for efficiency, I see that the db portal I had been brought to earlier is actually still proprietary for HP, giving...for example...prices. If you just go direct to the Infinity database, you do see even more diamonds...and...so...for example, Dimend has one without flor at 1.3 something...but I don''t know what it costs. And, HP may well have a relationship with Infinity so they can get it in for you...should you decide to work with just one dealer like them. Or, you may not have evolved a preference for dealers at this point, so whatever.

nek

Rough_Rock
Thankyou everyone for the welcome and the great advice thus far.

As i was reading your replies i was convincing myself that I should buy on Australian shores but when i saw that high performance diamond that ira linked to my jaw dropped. Surely that is about the best diamond i could afford? And with both 3% wire and 5% PS member discounts this must be close to one of the best deals possible?

I checked out the Jogia diamonds but they didn''t seem to have many online, however details are coming for 2-3 new arrivals that may be suitable.

After looking more closely I think i may actually relax the colour and quality limits i had and possibly go for a larger carat diamond. However i like the idea of quality over quantity. On the otherhand if people can''t tell without a 10x microscope and the bigger rock will truly dazzle my GF then maybe this is a better option. She does have small fingers though... this must limit the size of the ring somewhat?!?!

Can anyone suggest a nice setting with the qualities i''ve mentioned in my previous post that will also complement a wedding band and more than likely a future eternity band?

Kind regards,
nek

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:55:06 AM
Author: nek
Thankyou everyone for the welcome and the great advice thus far.

As i was reading your replies i was convincing myself that I should buy on Australian shores but when i saw that high performance diamond that ira linked to my jaw dropped. Surely that is about the best diamond i could afford? And with both 3% wire and 5% PS member discounts this must be close to one of the best deals possible?

I checked out the Jogia diamonds but they didn't seem to have many online, however details are coming for 2-3 new arrivals that may be suitable.

After looking more closely I think i may actually relax the colour and quality limits i had and possibly go for a larger carat diamond. However i like the idea of quality over quantity. On the otherhand if people can't tell without a 10x microscope and the bigger rock will truly dazzle my GF then maybe this is a better option. She does have small fingers though... this must limit the size of the ring somewhat?!?!

Can anyone suggest a nice setting with the qualities i've mentioned in my previous post that will also complement a wedding band and more than likely a future eternity band?

Kind regards,
nek
Though I suppose it could be construed as somewhat a subjective topic, most on here will say quality relates to cut, not so much color and clarity. Because again, it's the cut of the diamond people will really notice, or not, depending. So I think as long as you stay with a great cut (like the one you like at HPD), you can definitely relax things a bit, and still have a stuunner.
28.gif

As to the size of the stone in relation to a small finger, that really means nothing.
9.gif
I'm one of the very few who isn't a size gal, most seem to be. So you will find many who would put a 3 ct. stone on a size 4 finger with no problem! However, your budget is not going to allow that big, so honestly, I don't think you have any worries. They seriously do "shrink" in our eyes after wearing it a bit. I would just strive for a great cut in a color you are comfortable with, and a clarity that is eyeclean, and the biggest size that will allow.

And just to show what I mean about cut vs. color/clarity, here's a pic of a 2+ ct., J SI2.
2.gif

57YAY.jpg

66YAY.jpg

As for the setting, there are so many, have you seen this thread yet, it's full of settings. You might see something that "looks" like her, that's what I would strive for.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nek

I was just wondering if you were in WA?

I also looked at Jogia but was unable to find anything within my partners specifications. We ended up bying from Ross Ezekiel which is right next door to Jogia.

It is a 1.05 round brilliant f colour si1, ex ex ex GIA certified and it was half of what your budget is.
emsmile.gif

You probably already know but steer clear of places such as Rosendorphs and Solid Gold, my partner had the opportunity to purchase from solid gold at the whole sale price and it was still way more expensive than Ross or Jogia!

I think my setting sounds very similar to what you are looking for as well, it is very simple and classic, my partner wanted something like that for the similar reasons you were explaining.

Also if you are in a hurry, which it sounds like you are, from the day we picked out the diamond to the day he proposed was 2 weeks flat, so buying in Aus would have it''s advantages there?

I originally wanted to purchase from the USA and when i started looking the dollar was great, but since it took a dive, financially we were better off purchasing here, but having said that, our budget wasn''t quite as healthy as yours.

Good luck and let us know how you go!!
1.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That stone is lovely if the fluor isn''t an issue for you. I wanted to recommend a setting with the caveat that it might not be in your price range, but it''s a lovely example of a low, elegant solitaire (4 prong though, not 6 prong)
Delster and Retsled''s Leon

nek

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I''m located between Sydney and Melbourne but mostly Sydney. I''m hopefully going to go in a week or two and check out the Holloway diamond store but i have heard that it has such a brilliant name, is very posh and therefore i''m concerned that the diamonds there are likely to be too expensive for me. Is it possible to view their actual diamonds online?

I really like Delster''s setting- it looks perfect especially with the wedding band. Roughly how much would that setting cost in Platinum here in Australia?

As for the diamond i feel i am getting slightly confused. The only thing i am certain about is that i want an abosolutely perfect cut. I think i will then try to increase the carat, and do the best possible clarity and colour, preferably still VS2 and G and above respectively. As little flor as possible and ideal polish etc. (sounds like what everyone wants right?!?!) Is this possible on my budget? I seem to be finding near perfect 1.0-1.2 carat diamonds that are around the AU$ 22k mark.

Also any other places in Melbourne and Sydney i should definately stay clear of?

Kind regards,
nek

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Nek,

This is the other one from Infinity that will meet your specs, (reducing that flor), though costing a bit more.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Sorry...so...going over $14K, looking again at the search by cut database, for $15,6 wire priced, WF has several to consider, too, like this one...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 9:56:51 PM
Author: nek
Hi guys,

I'm located between Sydney and Melbourne but mostly Sydney. I'm hopefully going to go in a week or two and check out the Holloway diamond store but i have heard that it has such a brilliant name, is very posh and therefore i'm concerned that the diamonds there are likely to be too expensive for me. Is it possible to view their actual diamonds online?

I really like Delster's setting- it looks perfect especially with the wedding band. Roughly how much would that setting cost in Platinum here in Australia?

As for the diamond i feel i am getting slightly confused. The only thing i am certain about is that i want an abosolutely perfect cut. I think i will then try to increase the carat, and do the best possible clarity and colour, preferably still VS2 and G and above respectively. As little flor as possible and ideal polish etc. (sounds like what everyone wants right?!?!) Is this possible on my budget? I seem to be finding near perfect 1.0-1.2 carat diamonds that are around the AU$ 22k mark.

Also any other places in Melbourne and Sydney i should definately stay clear of?

Kind regards,
nek
Don't be intimidated by Holloway Diamonds, Garry is a bonzer? bloke as are his staff and they will be very welcoming and helpful! I would shoot Garry an email and see what he can come up with for you, he might be able to make some suggestions.

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Holloway at Brighton are currently remodelling my ER and although I have only bought two tiny pink stones from them, literally their price was half of what someone else quoted me. I was really surprised by the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff, so don''t be worried - you might be pleasantly surprised. Is anybody else amazing how much a decent diamond costs her in Aus versus what the US seems to have access to???! Amazing. Cheers

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Nek, I had one more thought but only a suggestion - at the Brighton Holloway store there is a STUNNING ring inspired by the Tiffany Lucida style, but much more delicate which has a 1.1ct round brilliant, and the ticket price was just under $20K. Thought I''d mention it - it has tiny hidden side diamonds as well. Not sure which store you would go to but if I was buying outright rather than remodelling I would definitely have got that one. Again, good luck

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nek

Since you are on the east coast i would definately give Holloway diamonds a try. As there is no store in Perth i was only able to drool over the beautiful collections via internet and the beautiful books they can mail out, and it is absolutely to die for!

Yes you may pay a little more than somewhere else but the quality wont be matched by anywhere else, especially when you know that the cut is so important.

I am sure you will find something that will fit your secifications and budget.

Goodluck and don''t forget to post pics!
1.gif

nek

Rough_Rock
Dear PS,

Recently i travelled to Melbourne AUSTRALIA to hunt for an engagement ring and if appropriate i was more than ready to buy one. I have done a lot of research since i first posted, and have taken on much advice from this forum. I left Melbourne quite disappointed. Mainly because of the lack of customer service and the overtly hard sell put on me to buy what the sales people wanted me to buy. I won''t complain about this any further.

Anyway after my experiences i am much more open to buying my diamond and setting online. I actually feel that i will get a better deal, a better diamond and better service if i was to buy from, for instance, James Allan. Their chat to an online representative is very helpful.

By using the cut quality search on PS i found this diamond at James Allan http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-IF-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1193893.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

and this diamond
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1195058.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

which are both FAR FAR FAR better diamonds and MUCH less expensive (even after the international buying calculations) than anything i was shown in the actual walk in stores.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or advice with regard to buying online. I am wary that I am unable to eye ball the diamond first and wiring a large amount of money into cyber space also is a bit daunting. Perhaps living in Australia I''m a little behind the times!!

Kind regards,
nek

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a very good experience with JA. It is hard to wire all that money, but exciting too.

I have to run off now but I''m sure other PSers that are more familiar with RB will check out those stones for you.
9.gif

nek

Rough_Rock
Guys, I am starting to feel overwhelmed about buying a diamond.

I feel more comfortable about buy online from James Allen of Whiteflash or Jogia given that i can see all the information for the diamond but now i just don''t know which diamond to get!

I look at the Cut search tool on PS to find excellent diamonds, but i notice some diamonds have been there for a long time and others come and go in an instant! Can an expert please suggest to me which couple of diamonds on the list would be excellent options?

I would like to have a 1.0ct+, VS2+,F+, perfect cut, excellent HCA, nil fluor, H&A, and budget of about $AU 15000.
Does this sound reasonable?

Also is it reasonable to sort this list by lowest HCA?

Kind regards,
nek

nek

Rough_Rock
I am now leaning toward this diamond.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/D-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1230958.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

any thoughts? concerns?

Also, i noticed this diamond scores a HCA 1.0 ex-ex-ex-vg , will the vg for spread significantly affect the performance of this diamond compared to a ex-ex-ex-ex?

nek

Rough_Rock
I''ve noticed Jogia has this diamond available.

Which diamond is ''better'' between this diamond and the one on JA?

http://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/diamonds/diamonditem.php?code=CXF2545

Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results