shape
carat
color
clarity

Pasta Salad Recipes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys,

After searching through Food TV, Epicurious, and other sites, I thought I'd come to PS to see if anyone has a recipe for a vegetarian pasta salad! It doesn't matter if it's vinegar based, or mayo, any suggestions are great! Thanks!

ETA: OR any cold salads would be great!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This isn't a pasta salad recipe but it's close. It's my all time favorite salad and it's very versatile.

Mediterranean Wild Rice

1 box of Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice (with seasoning packet)
1 small red onion or 1/2 large red onion minced
1 can of black olives cut in halves
1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts (small or large depending on how much you like them)
1 medium tomato chopped
1 red or green bell pepper (optional)

Other optional ingredients:
Shrimp (make sure they're chilled)
Chicken
avocado
feta cheese
kalamata olives instead of regular black

Make rice using the directions on the box
while warm add the other ingredients. Be sure to add the marinade from the artichokes
mix together and refrigerate

If using avocados be sure to toss them in a little lemon juice before adding them to the salad so they don't turn brown. I like to use them as a garnish on top of the salad. I slice them and arrange them like a star.

This dish works warm or cold and won't go bad if you don't add the meat:)

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hudson, that sounds fabulous!! And I love the additions to add, too! Thanks!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I almost make the same thing as Hudson, only I use pasta, or tri-color pasta. I add, cucumber and celery, along with her ingredients. I also use a splash of Italian dressing. We make this a lot, during the summer. Everyone loves it. I also use cherry tomatoes and cut them in half.

Linda

Giada

Shiny_Rock
This is a couscous salad that I''ve made for a few parties, always rave reviews! (it is from Allrecipes.com)

I have a really wonderful tortellini salad recipe as well at home. I will type it up for you over the weekend.

Party-Size Greek Couscous Salad
Submitted by: GOURMET631
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 21 members Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes
Yields: 20 servings
"If you are tired of the same old potato or macaroni salad and want raves, try this at your next picnic or pot luck! This recipe can be easily adapted depending on the veggies and dressing you use. Salad can be made the night before; however, add dressing just before serving."
INGREDIENTS:
3 (6 ounce) packages garlic
and herb couscous mix (or any
flavor you prefer)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in
half
1 (5 ounce) jar pitted kalamata
olives, halved
1 cup mixed bell peppers
(green, red, yellow, orange), diced
1 cucumber, sliced and then
halved
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 (8 ounce) package crumbled
feta cheese
1/2 cup Greek vinaigrette salad
dressing
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Transfer to a large serving bowl to cool. Stir to break up clusters of couscous.
2. When the couscous has cooled to room temperature, mix in tomatoes, olives, bell peppers, cucumber, parsley, and feta. Gradually stir vinaigrette into couscous until you arrive at desired moistness.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Tortellini Salad with Tomato Vinaigrette

Salad:
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1 lb. fresh cheese tortellini
1 (14oz.) can or jar of artichoke hearts, rinsed and quartered
1 (7oz.) jar roasted red bell peppers, chopped
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil (use chiffonade method to make nice strips of basil)
2 oz. finely sliced prosciutto (omit if vegetarian)
Freshly grated Parmesan

Tomato Vinaigrette:
4 ripe Roma tomatoes
4 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. good olive oil (I like Lucini or Morea)
2 t. dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

In a small prep bowl, cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water. Let stand about 30 minutes, then drain and coarsely chop.
Meanwhile, put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the tortellini. Cook until al dente.

Combine all ingredients and toss with the Tomato Vinaigrette, adding a little at a time to suit your taste.

Top with freshly grated parmesan and serve, garnishing with basil if desired.

**This is great to take to BBQ's or picnics because it is great at room temperature, or cold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber - I just remembered this great thread, Salad Recipes - it also has MrsSalvo''s great Seven Layer Salad recipe she kindly posted for me a while back.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''m making this for a potluck, so I figured you guys would have great ideas.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
You really can''t go wrong with taking a lb of short shaped pasta, adding a bunch of diced roma or plum tomatoes (or grape tomatoes, those are good!), several handfuls of fresh basil--chiffonade or chopped or whatever--and cubed pieces of fresh mozzerella cheese. Add some minced garlic, olive oil, salt, fresh ground black pepper, maybe a splash of balsamic...you''re done!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can it have fish in it, or does it have to be completely vegetarian? If you can have fish, I really like this tuna salad recipe. I don''t use measurements, so I usually just eye-ball the ingredients, but it would be about this.

2 cans albacore tuna drained
1 box of bowtie pasta (or other type of pasta) cooked and left to the side
one carrot chopped really fine
a large pickle chopped fine
1/2 an onion chopped fine
1 small carat chopped fine
salt and pepper for seasoning

mix in either mayonaise or miracle whip until the mixture sticks together

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pasta Salad (omit pep. for veggie)

1 1/2 lbs. spinach pasta
1/2 lb. cubed Italian cheese (Mozz., Fontina, Provolone, Fontinella)
1/2 lb. pepperoni, sliced thin and halved
12 oz. can black olives, pitted and sliced
1 c. chopped parsley
12 oz. can hearts of palm, cut in chunks
2-12 oz. cans artichoke hearts, chunked
2 c. olive oil
1-1 1/2 c. good red wine vinegar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1-2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. coarse black pepper
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 c. grated Ramono cheese

Cook noodles, drain. In very large bowl, put noodles and everything else except lemon juice, vinegar and oil. Toss well.

Mix olive oil, lemon juice, and 1. cup vinegar in jar or similar, shake well, taste. And more vinegar if needed. Toss into salad, it should saturate it well. If it seems too dry, add the marinade ingred. proportionately.

* Don't put this in a metal bowl, or cover your bowl with foil. I found out the hard way just how acidic that marinade is.
9.gif

Let sit at least 4 hours to overnight. The longer the better. Toss well before serving.

# of servings, a lot.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results