shape
carat
color
clarity

what''s your favorite salad recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
need a recipe for a bridal shower this weekend that isn''t too complicated :)

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Caprise Salad

2 cups Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella Cubed
4 cups Fresh Roma Tomatoes quartered
Frsh Basil to taste
1 part olive oil and 2 parts balsamic vinegar blended with 1/2 tsp. of italian seasoning

Mix all ingedients together and serve chilled.
(FYI- You can also serve over grilled chicken or romaine lettuce)
SO GOOD!

THE BEST CURRY CHICKEN SALAD:

2 cans cooked chicken (or 3-4 boiled boneless skinless chicken breasts- shredded)
celery- finely chopped
sweet pickle relish- 2 Tbs.
1 small can crushed pineapple- drained
1 cup (or more) toasted almond slivers (toast at 350 until lightly browned)
½ cup mayo
*curry power (1/2 tsp-1Tbs. to taste- I like a lot)
*onion powder (1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp to taste)
*garlic powder (1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp to taste)
*Lawry’s season salt (1/4 tsp-1/2 tsp to taste)
In small bowl blend mayo and spices*
In medium bowl combine remaining ingredients with mayo mixture. Let chill one hour. Spread onto bread and slice sandwiches to preferred shapes. 

Or place atop mixed greens and serve with your favorite veggies as a yummy salad.

Beware- this stuff is addictive.

Enjoy!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
French Potato Salad

Lots of baby red potatoes -
Wash and dump whole into water. boil until tender
Quickly cut into quarters, place in large bowl
While still hot pour really good olive oil over them. (cold-pressed virgin oil that smells distinctly of olives)
And mix with minced/chopped fresh rosemary (Note must be done while potatoes are still very warm.) I use one of those packets from the market per lb. of potatoes.
Toss well, determine the right amount of olive oil by keep adding it until all the potatoes are lightly covered in it.
Cover until needed - can be served warm or cold.
Right before serving toss again and while tossing add a decent sprinkling of the good sea salt harvested the old fashion-way from brittany - the type that''s still grey from the minerals. Salt to taste... although be careful about that, it''s hard to stop the tasting part!
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a green salad girl for the most part, I eat salads all week long but rarely make them!! I don't like salads with mayo in them, and I won't eat potato salad either!

Here are two salads I have made before for family get togethers:

Apple Citrus Salad with Avocado and Bacon

2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 heads Bibb lettuce, rinsed well and torn into 2-inch pieces
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2- inch dice
2 ruby red grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 bunch green onions, green portion only, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 ripe avocados
6 thick-cut bacon slices, fried until crispy and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces

In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard and vinegar. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream and whisk until smooth and blended.

In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, apples, grapefruits, oranges, green onions, salt, pepper and half of the vinaigrette and toss to mix.

To slice the avocados, using a chef's knife, cut into an avocado lengthwise until you hit the pit in the center. Carefully cut around the fruit through the skin and the pulp, without cutting through the pit. Holding the avocado in both hands, twist the halves in opposite directions to separate them. Using a large tablespoon, scoop out the pit and then scoop the pulp out of the skin. Slice the avocado as desired. Repeat with the remaining avocados.

Divide the salad among chilled salad plates. Garnish with the avocado slices and bacon. Drizzle a little of the remaining vinaigrette over each salad and serve immediately. Serves 12. Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

Sweet Corn, Mozzarella and Tomato Salad

8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (small balls called bocconcini work best)
1/3 cup basil-flavored olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Crushed red pepper flakes
10 to 12 ears of sweet corn, husked and silk removed
6 to 8 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into
25 to 30 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced

Cut the mozzarella balls into small pieces and marinate in the basil oil, tossing with salt, black pepper, and red pepper. If using a large ball of cheese, cut this into slices. Cover and refrigerate at least six hours, preferably overnight. NOTE: Before assembling the salad, remove the mozzarella from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature before using in the salad.

Scrape the corn kernels from the ears of corn by using a sharp kitchen knife and a large cutting board. Cut off the stem end to give a flat base. Hold the ear, tip end up, then cut downward, removing a few rows at a time.

In a large pot, partially filled with water, bring water to a rolling boil. Add the corn kernels to the boiling water. Bring water back up to a boil; immediately remove from heat and drain corn in a colander in your sink. Run cold water over the corn in the colander to stop the cooking process; drain the corn thoroughly.

In a large bowl, gently combine corn kernels, tomatoes, mozzarella with marinade, and basil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Refrigerate the salad until approximately ½ before serving.

To serve as a first course for your dinner party, spoon salad into wine glasses.
Makes approximately 10 to 12 servings.

OR there is always the old stanby, which I have made for many BBQ's and parties...which is basically just mixed greens, crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola, sliced apples or pears, walnuts and a mustard vinagrette (just mix olive oil, balsamic and dijon or country dijon...to taste). Everyone always loves this one.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A favorite of mine:

baby spinach
mandarin oranges
sliced strawberries
sliced white mushrooms
walnut or pecan pieces
shredded mozzarella cheese
bottled raspberry vinaigrette dressing

You can adapt this to serve however many people you like, just add the dressing right before serving and toss. You can also substitute raspberries for the strawberries, and omit the mushrooms.

Another:

mixed baby greens
sliced pears (I like the ones in jars that are already sliced in the produce section)
walnuts or pecans
blue cheese
dried cranberries (or Craisins)
flavored vinaigrette (bottled, lol!)

These are just simple ones that I throw together for family get-togethers or even with dinner at home. Sometimes just lunch for myself!
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh baby!

Mixed field greens, cranberries, sweet glazed pecans, french vinaigrette (Brianna's real French Vinaigrette is AWESOME if you don't want to make it yourself) PERFECT blend of sweet and tangy!!

or Mixed field greens, walnuts, granny smith apple slices, some gorganzola or feta, grilled chicken and a raspberry vinaigrette

or Mixed field greens, walnuts, 'shrooms, cherry tomatoes, mandarin orange, and a light tangy balsamic vinaigrette...

I love vinaigrette LOL

I also adore Greens with red onion and sweet corn, red cabbage and pecans and grilled chicken and carrot with balsamic. YUM!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Just made this on Sat eve!

From Emerils.com

PEAR, WALNUT AND ROMAINE SALAD WITH BALSAMIC VINEGAR

Ingredients needed:

1 head Romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and cut in bite-size pieces
2 pears, peeled, seeded and cut into cubes, tossed in lemon water
One-fourth cup chopped walnuts
One-fourth cup balsamic vinegar

Toss all ingredients together in a salad bowl and serve.

Serves 4

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, this isn't a recipe...but it's my favorite salad ingredient: Seasoned Rice Vinegar.

I love it in most salads...it's very light and not overpowering, so you can increase the amount of vinegar relative to oil in vinegrette to keep the calories down...or skip the oil altogether if you're really serious about calorie counting.

Regarding Mara's corn/tomato/mozzarella....I tried it and it's fabulous!
18.gif
It's probably best in the mid to late summer when tomatoes and corn are at their best. As usual, I messed a little with the recipe: added a touch of the above mentioned rice vinegar for tang, and one diced red bell pepper for a little crunch and more color....it was a show stopper!

widget

ETA: Don't over cook the corn!! Just a momentary dunk in boiling water (followed by a cold water rinse) should be enough for fresh young sweet corn.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay I am lazy...mixed cheese Parmesan from Kraft, Olive Garden salad dressing, and premixed salad in a bag. Every one loves it and I don’t given anyone food poisoning.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 9:17:18 PM
Author: monarch64
Another:

mixed baby greens
sliced pears (I like the ones in jars that are already sliced in the produce section)
walnuts or pecans
blue cheese
dried cranberries (or Craisins)
flavored vinaigrette (bottled, lol!)
This is my favorite too, except without the dried cranberries and with candied walnut instead. It''s really good and not heavy at all. Yum. I just had some last Saturday when we went out to dinner.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my absolute most fav salad ever is the one i get from whole foods about 5 times a week, it''s mixed greens, candied walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. SO YUMMY!!!!!!!

i think you can basically do mixed greens and a basic vinaigrette and just add your fave toppings, mix it up as you like it etc. apples, pecans, walnuts, cranberries, pears, various types of gorgonzola or blue cheeses etc etc!! yum.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I love all the green salads too but they can be kind of hard to make ahead of time and hold. Here''s one that holds well:

Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Feta Vinagrette:

1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta; about 8 ounces)
2 cups bagged prewashed baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
3/4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled and divided

*Optional-1 can rinsed garbanzo beans

Cook the orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; rinse with cold water. Combine orzo, spinach, and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.
Drain artichokes, reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes, and add artichokes, reserved marinade, and 1/2 cup feta cheese to orzo mixture, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle each serving with remaining feta cheese.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
ooh, that sounds really yummy.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone got a recipe for the seven layer salad? I think that is what it''s called?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 9:25:39 AM
Author: Lorelei
Has anyone got a recipe for the seven layer salad? I think that is what it''s called?

my cookbooks are packed away but I do make a seven layer salad pretty close to this:

In bowl or square dish, layer the following:

Shredded lettuce ( I use baby spinach)
6 hard boiled eggs (sliced)
1 (16 oz.) bag of frozen peas (do not thaw)
1 lb. bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1 bunch of scallions (cut up ) (red onion works too)
2 cups of mayonnaise & 1/2 cup sugar (blend & pour over top)
2 cups of shredded sharp cheese (grated) ( I use long thin strips of swiss cheese)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s great Mrssalvo - thanks! That is the recipe I remember with the peas and eggs in it! You are a star
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t take this the wrong way gals, but that 7 layer thing sounds NASTY. frozen peas and poured mayo and SUGAR over the top?!?!?!
23.gif
am i missing something here?!??!

i am a sucker for a 7 layer DIP though.
31.gif
my grandma makes the best.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2006 11:30:45 AM
Author: Mara
don''t take this the wrong way gals, but that 7 layer thing sounds NASTY. frozen peas and poured mayo and SUGAR over the top?!?!?!
23.gif

31.gif
ROFL!!! You have to taste it to appreciate it Mara ! It works honestly!

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
YOU GIRLS RULE!

So many great salads here oh my goodness, how am I ever gonna decide, yummy! Thanks so much. I am going to have to try all of these recipes!

by the way moremoremore I love youir new avatar~!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 12:39:23 AM
my absolute most fav salad ever is the one i get from whole foods about 5 times a week, it''s mixed greens, candied walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. SO YUMMY!!!!!!!
Mara, I love that one! My Whole Foods only has it occas. so sometimes I make my own. Also, from there salad bar, I make a mixed greens, tuna, grilled artichokes, blue cheese, red peppers, broccoli ...any anything else tasty from the salad bar, topped off w/a great balsamic vinaigrette.
I also used to do: mixed greens, tuna, black olives, avocado, red peppers, balsamic vinaigrette

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Mara- don''t rock the countrified 7 layer salad. The sugar mayo concoction is surprisingly yummy and all the flavors just work.

As for additional salads- another is :

Sundried Tomato Gorgonzola Salad

Buy a rotissery chicken at the grocery store and shred the chicken from the bone
cut Romaine Lettuce
Baby Spinach
cut Iceburg Lettuce
julian cut sundried tomatoes
gorgonzola crumbles
sliced red onion
diced roma tomato
Sundried Tomato Vineagrette (store bought or you can create this yourself by food processing sundrieds in oil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil with a little basil and garlic)

Toss all ingredients together. Serve immediately. SO GOOD!

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Romaine and Green Leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
Balsamic vinegar mixed in a 1:3 ratio with olive oil
Thinly sliced sweet onion
Chick Peas/ Garbanzo Beans (drained, rinsed and chilled in the fridge)
Cherry/ Grape tomatoes
Calamata olives (drained)

Mix, mix, mix the Balsamic and olive oil and toss the lettuce just too coat the leaves, you don''t want pools of it. Chuck in (to your taste) the onions, chick peas, tomatoes and olives. Mix very lightly and serve. It needs to be served soon after making it as the vinegar will make the lettuce wilt. Delicious, and nutritious! : ) Oh, and a small hunk of blue cheese on the side adds a splash of flavour.

I wish you well,

Bridget

icekid

Ideal_Rock
ooooooh thanks for posting guys- I am such the salad girl. I will post some of my favs soon.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 11:31:49 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 4/11/2006 11:30:45 AM
23.gif

31.gif
ROFL!!! You have to taste it to appreciate it Mara ! It works honestly!
It sounds gross to me too, but I guess I really never appreciate it because I hate peas (yuck) and frozen ones (double yucks).

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
baby spinach, stems plucked off
slivered almonds
raisins
caramelized goat cheese (I get it at the cheese shop--its some nordic cheese)
strawberry vinegrette (we get Auntie Annie''s, or at least I think that''s it)

thinly slice the caramalized cheese (one of those wires or cheese slicers is good), lay it over the top with the almonds and the raisins

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
BROCCOLI SALAD!!!!!!

INGREDIENTS:
10 slices bacon
1 head fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sunflower seeds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, onion and raisins. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and mayonnaise. Pour over broccoli mixture, and toss until well mixed. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Before serving, toss salad with crumbled bacon and sunflower seeds.

I found this recipe online, and it''s close to mine, but I use maple syrup instead of white sugar. It''s so yummy and sweeet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results