shape
carat
color
clarity

Passing on your jewels

P

PierreBear

Hi PS Friends,

Another thought of the day. If you are lucky enough to have daughters/daughter-in laws, I imagine they would inherit your jewelry. What do others do if there are no family members to pass on to? Sell it when you are too old to think about jewelry? Bury yourself with it like an Egyptian queen? Donate it to a best friend?

Just curious! Thanks for sharing.

Q

Queenie60

Fortunately I have a daughter to pass it on to. However, she isn't going to want everything so we will deal with it when the time comes.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a daughter and a son. Obviously my daughter is going to be a very lucky girl. BUT, I want my son to be able to choose something for his wife to be as well. Haven't really thought about HOW I will decide which ring she gets. :o

Biba

Rough_Rock
This is an interesting question. I have an 8 month old son and if I did not have a daughter/daughter in law in the future then I would pass on to my sister. She's my only sibling and we are very close to eachother. I'm guessing that those without a daughter, daughter in law, sister would pass on to a niece or perhaps God child.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selling them probably so that I can afford hospice care...

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no children but many nieces. The ones that I am especially close to will get my jewelery. They are pretty vocal about what pieces are their favorites.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean said:

:lol:

I have a son and hope to have a daughter one day. Not keen on passing anything down to a future daughter-in-law. What if she divorces my son and makes off with my jewellery???

Before I had my son I had quite a complicated Google spreadsheet with pictures and values and detailed instructions on who was meant to get what. If I recall correctly, just about everything I inherited from my mother was meant to go to my younger brother's eventual children, and everything I inherited from my stepmom was meant to go to her only granddaughter (my niece). The jewellery I accumulated on my own was meant to go to my sister's two daughters in the UK, with the exception of my two seven stone diamond bands which I wanted to leave to my DH's sisters' daughters. It was quite complex!

Now I have a beautiful little boy who is nearly 15 months old and if he ends up being my only child, I hope he has daughters! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two young sons and there will not be more kids so......

I've told my husband I want my Sister-in-law (his sister) to get my jewelry if anything happens to me. She is 23 now and the most valuable jewelry I have is my wedding set so I think a stipulation that she gets that when she turns 30.

Put all fake jewelry on me when I die and give her the good stuff, that's what I told him.

danusia

Rough_Rock
I have 2 daughters and have already given jewelry away to them and had them pick out the ones they want to keep later on. All the remaining pieces I have sold at auction and am looking to buy some diamond studs with the money, which I guess the girls will have to fight over someday, unless I give them one stud apiece.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about this for some time now, especially since a similar thread was posted here about a year ago. It's become less abstract in the last year...

I have no children of any sort, so no "natural" heirs. My only niece has not shown a particular interest in jewelry of late (she did as a young child) and in any event is, for now at least, very mobile and somewhat careless with her belongings. I also have three nephews, two SILs and one SIL who was recently widowed when my oldest brother passed away.

For now my plan is to keep any family heirlooms within the family, though I'll give them directly to the SILs rather than my brothers (their marriages are going on 25+ years and I trust them to do the right thing in the event of a divorce). I love my deceased brother's wife dearly and have given her two very nice pairs of diamond earrings over the years. But since she and my brother had no children, and she could re-marry, and she doesn't wear much jewelry anyway... so I have a lovely diamond piece from my collection, which I believe she would actually wear, in mind for her. My JM 3-stone ring will go to my best friend. I'll probably leave all my watches to my niece, along with a bequest for their care and feeding... and my diamond earrings, if she ever gets her ears pierced! I may start passing colored stone rings and watches on to her as she settles into her career.

But there's a lot that needs to be cleaned out of my jewelry collection before then. I'm not sure whether I'll sell that or pass it on to others I know to enjoy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have 2 daughters so it'll be divided up b/t them. Hope they don't fight for my Octavia after I kick the bucket... :bigsmile:

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean said:

That's me sad reality about America. My grandma just ran out of money and her care is $20k a month for her senior care. She's not in hospice but she's in a nicer nursing home (a Masonic home) but she has diabetes, dementia, and other memory issues that she is on a lot of medications and she has complex issues. The government will cover all but $20k I guess so her 4 kids split the cost. I'm a grandchild and her monthly care is basically my salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have one son and two daughters. My son is interested in gems and jewelry, so for now I plan to split amongst them whatever I have at the time. I'm sure my collection will evolve at least a few more times before I kick the bucket! Lol

Anne

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daughter and son will get my jewelry. Daughter directly and son's daughter. I'm envisioning grandchildren will be wearing my pieces.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I will split my goodies with my son and daughter. My daughter likes my asscher but is not a jewelry person. Doesn't matter to me. I can not predict the future as far as who will wear it or if my kids will even marry. But they'll know the jewels can be passed down to someone who was related to me.

That is the plan anyway.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two boys; both have expressed interest in my jewellery and gems although they'd rather have loose stones because the current settings are too feminine. :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just gave my son my AVC 1.33 K color VS2 stone to give to his fiancee now :) I have 2 sons, no daughters and if the stone goes to my future DIL and my son and she break up there is nothing I can do about it, when my younger son needs a stone I will give him my engagement ring stone a MRB stone. My sons bring me great great joy, my love of diamonds pales compared to my love of my boys (adults now ha!).. I may give two of my many nieces a piece or two before I die, love these two especially.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1468454334|4055261 said:
We have 2 daughters so it'll be divided up b/t them. Hope they don't fight for my Octavia after I kick the bucket... :bigsmile:

Well to be fair, you must buy another Ocatvia!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don't have kids so I'm leaving to nieces and nephews, and friends. I just want it to go to people who appreciate the value enough to try to resell instead of melting down for $ if it isn't their style.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
No daughters, no sons. My grandmother's ring will go to her eldest great-granddaughter, my even more precious ruby ring to her younger sister. They are my only nieces. A couple of dear friends are in line to get my signet ring, garnets, etc.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 1 sister, no children, no nieces, and my husband is an only child. Assuming I die after the older generation, there might not be able relations for them to go to unless my sister or I have children. At the moment that's not in the cards and we're both in our 30's.

I'll will them to my sister so she'll get them assuming she dies after me. We're close in age so when she dies they'd go to whoever she's willed them to. They'd be no direct relation to me. There's no guarantee that they wouldn't be sold or broken up. A person can only wear or have use for so much. I figure when I'm dead I won't care.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother used to quote my grandmother as saying, "Give with a warm hand, not with a cold". She divided her silver flatware (not that she had a large set; she had only eight place settings, but it was a wonderful Georg Jensen set) between my brother and me long before she passed away. I believe when my brother got married. My father is still alive and, in theory, could still be using it. Similarly, I have offered a diamond already to someone: my niece (when she got married). (I posted about this at the time, two years ago.) My niece never took me up on my offer, however, and her husband eventually bought her a diamond solitaire that he could afford himself. She is overjoyed with that. I cannot leave anything to my daughter. I could never even give her the Whiteflash Bellerina pendant I hoped to give her on her sixteenth birthday. She throws away jewelry.

AGBF

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Are you saying that after the Government covers part of your grandmother's care, there is an outstanding bill of $20,000 a month????
Where are you or where is she living?? I know this is changing subjects, but I just am shocked.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I have one son. He's been with his girlfriend for about a year and I am hoping it becomes permanent SOON. His wife will get certain pieces and if he has daughters they will get the rest.

If not, I will divide what I have left among my nieces.

Not that I have a stupendous collection, but my pieces have been purchased with love and I want them to be appreciated for that reason.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen|1468614365|4055853 said:
Are you saying that after the Government covers part of your grandmother's care, there is an outstanding bill of $20,000 a month????
Where are you or where is she living?? I know this is changing subjects, but I just am shocked.

I was trying to understand that myself. My mother is in a very nice private nursing home and it is in the $7000 range each month. Medicine and medical care are covered by Medicare and supplemental insurance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope my kids are pretty old and have almost grown children by the time I make a departure, so I think not only about my children, but also about granddaughters. I would leave each granddaughter a ring and/or other piece of fine jewelry and the larger diamond pieces to my two daughters. However, my philosophy is that I would much rather give the things away while I am still around, if possible. I'll only be wearing fakes in the old folks home!

If I had no children, I do have nieces on both sides that I would leave some items. Others I might just sell after I have enjoyed them.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted about this the other day, about my daugher not being insterested in my jewelry. Just a few days later she came to me and wanted to see all my "stuff" so I pulled it all out and let her wear the Tiffany solitaire a couple pairs of diamonds studs and a Levian necklace for a date.
I guess she will get it all afterall.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't make them fight. :naughty:

Just send it to me. :sun:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1468881757|4056853 said:

Don't make them fight. :naughty:

Just send it to me. :sun:
conservatives are not allowed to wear an Octavia... :tongue:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1468884744|4056878 said:
conservatives are not allowed to wear an Octavia... :tongue:
In that case, send it to me! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results