shape
carat
color
clarity

Party help! How much food/beverage per person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're having a party on Friday and now I'm in a panic because about 10 people WHO HAVE NOT RSVP'D
29.gif
have "casually" said, "Oh, yah, see you Friday. XXX and I will be there about 7:00." Well that's nice and all, but since all these people didn't RSVP now I'm afraid I don't have enough food and alcohol.

So, let's say that 50 people show up, I have:

2 cases of wine (one red, one white)
4 cases of beer (all different ones)
2 smoked salmons
2 wheels of brie
some other kind of cheese
30 taco rolls
30 stuffed mushrooms
2 different kinds of chips and dips
2 pans of tirimisu(sp?)
all sort of candy and mixed nuts

Is this enough?!? What else should I get? My inclination is to go raid Costco (again) and load up but the last time we had a party I went WAY overboard and we were eating smoked salmon on water crackers 'till it came out our ears.

ETA: We also have all sorts of other alcohol (vodka, rum, gin, scotch) and plenty of mixers and other non-alcoholic drinks too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 5:26:44 PM
Author:Dee*Jay
We''re having a party on Friday and now I''m in a panic because about 10 people WHO HAVE NOT RSVP''D
29.gif
have ''casually'' said, ''Oh, yah, see you Friday. XXX and I will be there about 7:00.'' Well that''s nice and all, but since all these people didn''t RSVP now I''m afraid I don''t have enough food and alcohol.

So, let''s say that 50 people show up, I have:

2 cases of wine (one red, one white)
4 cases of beer (all different ones)
2 smoked salmons
2 wheels of brie
some other kind of cheese
30 taco rolls
30 stuffed mushrooms
2 different kinds of chips and dips
2 pans of tirimisu(sp?)
all sort of candy and mixed nuts

Is this enough?!? What else should I get? My inclination is to go raid Costco (again) and load up but the last time we had a party I went WAY overboard and we were eating smoked salmon on water crackers ''till it came out our ears.

ETA: We also have all sorts of other alcohol (vodka, rum, gin, scotch) and plenty of mixers and other non-alcoholic drinks too.
LOL...you might have what I call "asian syndrome". When we threw a party, we had to make sure everyone was stuffed AND had tons of food to take home. Otherwise it was not considered enough food.

Let''s say liberally 1 bottle does 4 glasses. That is 48 glasses per case, so you have 2 glasses per person, plus tons of beer and mixers. Personally I think that is enough alcohol. Do you have an asian market near you? They sell eggrolls, and that is a cheap appetizer that feeds a lot. But to me, I think you have plenty for a party.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
I''m having the same problem right now, although my party isn''t for a few weeks. but I''m having it catered, so it''s hard when people don''t rsvp and you KNOW they''re coming. or at least think they probably are.

I think having more wine than you''ll need is fine, b/c you''ll drink it eventually. but with something like fish, it''s hard to say that b/c you need to eat it soon. I hate having too much food leftover after a party. so I''d veer towards a little less than you think you''ll need for perishable short-life items (or exactly what you think you''ll need if you''re realistic and good at predicting how much others will eat), and then get more of stuff that isn''t going to go bad or that you can freeze for later (like cheese straws or mini quiches).

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would work in some meatballs in a crock pot.

need one of those huge bags of frozen meatballs from sams or costso. divide into two crock pots.

crockpot 1: i medium jar of grape jelly/jam, 1 bottle of barbecue sauce, half of the meatballs.

crockpot 2: in a saucepan mix a large cube of phiily cream cheese, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, some prepared horseradish and a overflowing cup of ketchup, heat and mix, dump into crockpot with half of the meatballs. edited to add: sometimes the sauce is too thick, have to water it down with water/ketchup

both of them cook until well cooked through. serve with toothpicks or small forks.

sounds disgusting but "tried and true" party food.

edited again: this is one of those party foods where people can't stop eating it, ask for the recipe, then you write the recipe for them and the pople kind of "weird out" - grape jelly! ketchup? huh?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If 50 people show up, and they all want one of each, you're short about 20 on the taco rolls and shrooms.....And that's at JUST one, what are the chances?
9.gif

And I agree with LK, throw a bunch of meatballs in a crock.

I dunno, I'm always affraid I won't have enough, so I make tons. To me, better that I have leftovers, than to run out on something.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like you have a good start, but I would also suggest getting some more food. When we have parties it seems like people wait all day to eat so that they are HUNGRY when the come and then proceed to eat us out of house and home! I suppose BBQ is out of the question, and probably not the type of party you''re having, haha, so I think meatballs are a great idea, and maybe some more chips and snack food stuff.

*M*

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
When we have party, we usually have lots of leftover. I think it would be a good idea to have at least one per person for each items. I personally like to have at least one of everything. In the end some items might be more popular than other and we''ll have leftover, but at least everyone will get to have one of items if they want to. You have enough cheese and smoked salmon, maybe more taco rolls and stuffed mushrooms.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you''re in a hurry the meatballs are good cooked in a crock with seafood sauce (ketchup/horseradish)

either way need to get these meatballs going by three if your party is at 7.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ya know what''s missing? crudites.

fresh veg cut up all nice and neat, cherry tomatoes for color

mix some mayonnaise and curry powder together to taste, use as center dip.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha dee jay, I always worry about not having enough food. I agree with the others who said maybe a few more taco''s and do some meatballs or some other finger type food. I think you''ll have plenty of beverages...can I come?
9.gif
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, I went through my appetizers, trying to fing something good and easy. This might fit the bill, everyone loves this stuff! The recipe calls for either broiling or serve cold. I tried both and frankly cold was way better. (I would at least double this)

Crab Spread on Sourdough

1/2 c. mayo (real)
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 canned Parmesan cheese
6 oz. can crabmeat

Mix, let sit several hours (longer is better, so you could even make 2 days ahead). Slice long loaf of sourdough in semi thin slices. Arrange on platter with spread in a bowl in the middle. Guests helpy selfy.

Plus, bread helps soak up, the um, booze.
11.gif
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yum, this is shaping up to be quite a party...

If you have a trader joes by your house, there are plenty of things you can buy. A popular fav in our house is their hummus. Buy their mini pita bread, olive oil non stick spray and some garlic salt. Spray the bread lightly with the non stick and sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt. Bake until desired crunchiness (some like soft, other like it cracker consistency!) Serve with hummus.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, what I'm getting here is that we have enough alcohol but not enough food (which was may fear... ) Thanks for all the replies and great ideas; I thinking meatballs, yum yum!!! And if anyone else has more nibble suggestions please pass them on. We have three days and I'm totally open to suggestions!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shrimp cocktail is a no brainer, everyone seems to gobble it up. For veggie dip, I love Knorrs vegetable soup mix mixed in with sour cream, so yummy. But agree, those meatballs sound delish!!!
18.gif
And there''s always pigs in a blanket with nice mustard...

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 9:38:38 PM
Author: TravelingGal
oh yum, this is shaping up to be quite a party...

If you have a trader joes by your house, there are plenty of things you can buy. A popular fav in our house is their hummus. Buy their mini pita bread, olive oil non stick spray and some garlic salt. Spray the bread lightly with the non stick and sprinkle with a bit of garlic salt. Bake until desired crunchiness (some like soft, other like it cracker consistency!) Serve with hummus.
Oh that sounds GOOOD!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, it sounds like enough food...but I''m only saying that because I always end up with tons of leftovers and extra beverages. The beer always goes faster than I expect, but it might be the crowd who comes to our parties
37.gif

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
You could always make a double batch of spinach artichoke dip and serve it with Triscuits/pitas- the kind I make needs a heartier cracker. Here''s the recipe for one batch:

2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
16oz cream cheese, softened
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, & squeezed dry

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine mozzarella, sour cream, 2 tbsp. Parmesan, black pepper, garlic, artichokes, cream cheese, and spinach in (large) bowl. Mix well; place in 1.5 quart baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tbsp. Parmesan. 30 min at 350.

My DH and friends all love this dip- it seems to last for days; it''s really hearty and filling.

jackieomy

Rough_Rock
wow, this thread is making me hungry!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, first of all I want to know why we''re not invited. Just kidding.

Second, and seriously, I think LK is absolutely correct--do the meatballs and whatever else it was she suggested food-wise. Otherwise it sounds like you have the food and drink beasts conquered, he hee. Honestly, I''ve never heard ANYONE complain that there wasn''t enough to drink, but I HAVE heard them complain there wasn''t enough food. Oh! LK mentioned veggies and dip...normally I would say that is something that usually gets picked over and not really eaten, but under this circumstance, I say make sure you have a veggie tray w/ lots of good dip...
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
dinner rolls
Thats my pet party peeve no bread.
I hate crackers! :}

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep bread
25.gif
Most important. Make your own garlic bread. I would allow 1 french stick per 4 to 5 guests. Add some peeled and crushed garlic to some soft butter, say about 3 to 4 cloves per pound, add a little salt and chopped fresh parsley. Slice bread into inch and a half cuts but not through to the bottom of the bread, then butter inside the cuts lavishly. Wrap prepared loaves into strong foil, bake in oven about gas mark 6 for 15 to 20 mins, or until bread has browned and crisped a bit and butter melted. Cut into the slices to separate, pile onto plates and serve.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch, if you prefer to come to my party rather than that black tie function in Atlanta you are most welcome (but I still expect you in a ball gown
2.gif
)!

Bread -- what a great idea! I will get the happy hubby right on that. He''s going to Costco today anyway and I know they have both regular rolls and garlic bread that you pop right in the oven so that''s a good thing.

For dips, we were going to do a spinach artichoke dip that that gets mixed with cream cheese (got sucked in by a sample at some fancy gourmet store and ended up buying a jar, but now I''m glad we did!) and the HH has a crab dip that he''s been wanting to try out so now''s the time (although Ellen your recipe sounds good too--will have to share that with HH and see what he says).

We don''t have a crockpot--is there some other way to keep the meatballs warm? Would it be enough that they start out hot in a big pot; I mean would they *stay* warm for a few hours or would they get all cold and yucky too quickly?

What about baby quiches? They have a package with 1/2 spincach ones and 1/2 ham and cheese, or would those be gross when they get cold too?

Damn--I don''t remember having this much trouble with food for our last party!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer quiche cold, it is commonly served this way at English buffets etc, so it is acceptable in my book!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, do you have a hot plate? or can you borrow a crock or hotplate? Otherwise, I''d just put them in a nice microwavable dish, get them really hot before serving, and then maybe zap them once about halfway through.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
One of my quick and easy favs is a block of cream cheese and either red or green pepper jelly spread over the top! AWESOME spread over some crackers and actually gets better over time as the cheese softens.

How about some fruit mixed in with the cheese and or veggies? I try to mix in some lower fat/cal options for those whom may be watching that sort of thing!

ETA: about the meatballs - Its a little more pain in the butt, but what if you cooked them in a large stock pot/whatever you have, keep it on low and use a smaller sized bowl so you can refill it with hot ones easy.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, hubby just called. He got several pounds of large shrimp and a big box of baby quiche. Unfortunately he didn't get my message about the meatballs in time, but we can always run out and get those if need be once I reassess the quantity of food we've now accumulated. I feel a lot better since that we've added a couple more things to the menu!

ETA: Oh, and bread too! Both garlic bread and those four-section dinner rolls.

So, what are you all wearing to my party?
9.gif

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
A pan of baked ziti never hurts either... easy to prep and about $3.00 in cost. Its a filler upper...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 12:46:14 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

9.gif
A large napkin on top of my party duds with all that grub
25.gif
And I shall bring one for the DD too!
emdog.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What am I wearing? Welll, seeing''s how we''ve never met, this calls for a new holiday outfit.
11.gif
9.gif

Sounds like things are shaping up!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 12:55:47 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 11/29/2006 12:46:14 PM

Author: Dee*Jay

9.gif

A large napkin on top of my party duds with all that grub
25.gif
And I shall bring one for the DD too!
emdog.gif

Let''s hope The Demon doesn''t need one... I''m tempted to pin a note to his collar that says "Please don''t feed me ANYTHING -- I might enjoy it now but I''ll just puke it up on one of the good oriental rugs later."

And Ellen, OH YES, and new outfit is definitely in order!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results