shape
carat
color
clarity

Party Food ideas please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
My son''s 1st b-day is coming up in about a month and i am hosting it at my cottage . I anticipate around 30 adults and a few kiddies. It will be a lunch event.

I have the dessert menu under control since i luv to bake ( cuppies, mini chocolate brownies, cookie favors, homemade easter eggs --since the party is on easter w/e)

I need help with creative finger foods!
So far i am planning mini pita sandwiches, cold peanut noodle salad, salad wraps...

Looking for a few more items that are relatively easy, finger friendly or easy to serve and preferably stuff that can be made ahead or doesn''t involve cooking at the event.

Recipes?
Favorites?

Thanks
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Caprese salad skewers (mozz, tomato, basil on bamboo skewers with balsamic drizzle)
fruit salad skewers (grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, etc) with vanilla yogurt as "dip"
Shrimp cocktail

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Some of my faves:

Tomato Brusheta [12 servings]

6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 French baguette
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Double-Tomato-Bruschetta/SaveToRecipeBox.ashx
Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Fancy 7 Layer Taco Dip [at least 50 servings]
Made a day ahead, just wrap w/plastic wrap & refrigerate:

1 package taco seasoning mix
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened [low fat]
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream--low fat, never fat free
14.gif

1 (16 ounce) jar salsa -I use mild-
1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped --orange or yellow are gorgeous too--
1/2 bunch chopped green onions
1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, any kind
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Seven-Layer-Taco-Dip/SaveToRecipeBox.ashx
In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and refried beans. Spread the mixture onto a large serving platter---I use a glass trifle bowl, for amazing presentation---.
Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Spread over the refried beans.
Top the layers with salsa. Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions and lettuce over the salsa, and top with Cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives. I serve this next to a huge platter of pita or tortilla chips. ejoy!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm you can never go wrong with 7-layer dip

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Hudson--Oh yum, totally great ideas. Most of my friends with kids are couples i met at the gym (so health conscious) so both the fruit and veg skewers would go over well i think. Thanks!!

Lulie--funny, i was thinking about 7 layer dip but didn''t have a recipe, yours sounds delish!!!
36.gif
Thanks so much!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you guys do this in the US but in Australia no kids party is complete without fairy bread.

Get white bread, butter it (some people pop honey on as well I prefer it without) and then sprinkle on 100''s and 1000''s (sprinkles you pop on a cake) kids (and adults occasionaly) love this and it is easy and festive :D.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
OMG Deelight. Fairy Bread!!! I am canadian but i went to school and taught for a bit in Australia and i remember sub-teaching for a kindie class one day and a mom made fairy bread for the kids (she pressed the whole piece of bread into the 100''s and 1000''s ) I have to admit, i was appalled and had certainly not seen this in canada (i kept thinking white bread,: bad, butter: bad, food coloring and tons of sugar: BAD) lol, but the kids were bananas for it and it did look super cute.

Oh, now i miss aussie treats. I think Home Brand makes a cute icing cookie with the 1oo''s and 100''s on it, don''t they??

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My go-to finger food are gougeres stuffed with pickled sliced onions, arugula, and bacon.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Blue Cheese Pinwheels? Take a puff pastry, roll it as thin as you can, sprinkle blue cheese and bacon bits, leave 1/2 inch or so around the perimeter. Roll up, slice in 1/4 slices, bake at 350 till golden. They are good hot out of the oven or room temperature later. It's a bit of a strong flavor, but I think you could sub out a milder cheese if you wanted too.

The other thing I like to do is salami rolls. Basically get genoa salami sliced THIN (thinner than a 1) at the deli. I usually do 1 lb for a large crowd. It has to be thin enough to easily roll, make then hand you the first piece they cut so you can verify it will easily roll and stay rolled. Then either make chive cream cheese or buy it (Philadelphia makes a great chive/onion one). Spread a thin layer of room temperature cream cheese on the piece of salami, covering the entire piece, then roll up. I usually refrigerate beforehand as they are super good cold, but are also good when they've been out a while.

Do you need vegetarian options? I can think of more if you do, the above are recipes I use regularly and are straight off the top of my head. I've got some veggies ideas in my head if I think about it some more.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 4:21:03 PM
Author: Jas12
OMG Deelight. Fairy Bread!!! I am canadian but i went to school and taught for a bit in Australia and i remember sub-teaching for a kindie class one day and a mom made fairy bread for the kids (she pressed the whole piece of bread into the 100''s and 1000''s ) I have to admit, i was appalled and had certainly not seen this in canada (i kept thinking white bread,: bad, butter: bad, food coloring and tons of sugar: BAD) lol, but the kids were bananas for it and it did look super cute.

Oh, now i miss aussie treats. I think Home Brand makes a cute icing cookie with the 1oo''s and 100''s on it, don''t they??

We do feed kids healthy food as well I promise
2.gif
. I agree there is absolutley nothing nutrious about fairy bread but it is such a fun iconic treat that kids love. I remember once making my BF at the time (now FI) a fairy bed (I covered his bed in sprinkles) I thought it was hilarious till my sister made me clean it up - HAHAHAHAHA he didn''t think it was as funny.

I think they do I know Arnots has 100''s and 1000''s cookies which have pink icing and sprinkles they are so yummy, I love sprinkles if I had some GF bread at the momment I would make some fairy bread right now.

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:31:12 AM
Author: Deelight

OMG Deelight. Fairy Bread!!! I am canadian but i went to school and taught for a bit in Australia and i remember sub-teaching for a kindie class one day and a mom made fairy bread for the kids (she pressed the whole piece of bread into the 100's and 1000's ) I have to admit, i was appalled and had certainly not seen this in canada (i kept thinking white bread,: bad, butter: bad, food coloring and tons of sugar: BAD) lol, but the kids were bananas for it and it did look super cute.

Oh, now i miss aussie treats. I think Home Brand makes a cute icing cookie with the 1oo's and 100's on it, don't they??

2.gif
. I agree there is absolutley nothing nutrious about fairy bread but it is such a fun iconic treat that kids love. I remember once making my BF at the time (now FI) a fairy bed (I covered his bed in sprinkles) I thought it was hilarious till my sister made me clean it up - HAHAHAHAHA he didn't think it was as funny.

I think they do I know Arnots has 100's and 1000's cookies which have pink icing and sprinkles they are so yummy, I love sprinkles if I had some GF bread at the momment I would make some fairy bread right now.
I don't have any ideas for you but I had to post because I think the fairy bread is soo cute, but could not imagine actually eating it! lol and don't worry Deelight we Canadians (well some of us anyway) eat much more unhealthy things than Fairy Bread (ex. Poutine) lol
18.gif

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 8:40:53 PM
Author:Jas12
My son''s 1st b-day is coming up in about a month and i am hosting it at my cottage . I anticipate around 30 adults and a few kiddies. It will be a lunch event.

I have the dessert menu under control since i luv to bake ( cuppies, mini chocolate brownies, cookie favors, homemade easter eggs --since the party is on easter w/e)

I need help with creative finger foods!

So far i am planning mini pita sandwiches, cold peanut noodle salad, salad wraps...

Looking for a few more items that are relatively easy, finger friendly or easy to serve and preferably stuff that can be made ahead or doesn''t involve cooking at the event.

Recipes?

Favorites?

Thanks
1.gif

Mmmm sounds delcious Jas!!
18.gif
You probably have already though about this but just make sure to check none of your guests or their children are allergic to anything, especially peanuts for instance. I only say this because there are so many people with food allergies and it is truly scary to see somebody have a reaction. Now that anything with peanuts and shellfish have been banned from pretty much all schools and places of employment where I live, I always take notice when I see these items. I hope I didn''t come across offensive, because your menu sounds absolutely yummy!! It just seems you can never be too careful these days.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:00:45 AM
Author: missjaxon
Date: 3/9/2009 12:31:12 AM

Author: Deelight

2.gif
. I agree there is absolutley nothing nutrious about fairy bread but it is such a fun iconic treat that kids love. I remember once making my BF at the time (now FI) a fairy bed (I covered his bed in sprinkles) I thought it was hilarious till my sister made me clean it up - HAHAHAHAHA he didn''t think it was as funny.

I think they do I know Arnots has 100''s and 1000''s cookies which have pink icing and sprinkles they are so yummy, I love sprinkles if I had some GF bread at the momment I would make some fairy bread right now.

I don''t have any ideas for you but I had to post because I think the fairy bread is soo cute, but could not imagine actually eating it! lol and don''t worry Deelight we Canadians (well some of us anyway) eat much more unhealthy things than Fairy Bread (ex. Poutine) lol
18.gif

hehehe you should try it is really good, if you do make sure to cut the bread into triangles afterwards, tis tradition :D.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Deelight--Fairy Bed--Haha..that is hilarious ! Yes! I remember the cookies having pink icing, so i guess they were from Arnotts. I found Tim Tams at a local grocery store last month. I was so looking fwd to them--but alas they were stale as can be. Still good dunked into coffee but guess i need to make a trip to aus.

MissJaxton--no offense taken at all. Luckily i know everyone really well and no allergies-otherwise i would call around. I am a teacher so i''ve been scared off brining anything with peanuts to an event.
I think the closest Canadian thing to fairy bread (taste wise) would have to be a Hawaiian donut from Timmy''s. Actually, instead of butter on the bread, maybe a thick white icing would make Fairy Bread *that* much more sinful.
Oy, poutine is much worse--but oh so delish

Julie--mmm, now that is something i''ve never had. I''ll have to try those!

April--do u need a toothpick or anything to keep the salami wraps together (i guess not if they are thin enuf right?) my DH would LUV those!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Tim Tams are so good, I love them but my faves are gingernuts and kingstons
18.gif
OMG so good however I will never say no to a good tim tam :D.

Shame they were stale, I too would have still eaten them though :), no biscuit left behind :D.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
what about doing a spinach or artichoke dip with bread? You can get the larger loafs at the store that can be pieced apart and they can get as much as they want. A vegetable tray is always nice. Or one idea I saw this weekend and loved was fruit kebobs, just pieces of fruit on sticks, no cooking or anything required

April20

Ideal_Rock
You don''t need a toothpick to hold them together as long as the salami is sliced thin enough. The cream cheese sort of acts as a glue.

They''re really yummy- I''ve never had any left over. Ever. No matter how many I make.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:51:47 AM
Author: April20
You don''t need a toothpick to hold them together as long as the salami is sliced thin enough. The cream cheese sort of acts as a glue.

They''re really yummy- I''ve never had any left over. Ever. No matter how many I make.

I agree, these are really yummy. I''ve also done a variation with roast beef and boursin or alouette cheese (soft spreadable herbed cheese).

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
mmm, i luv Boursin cheese ( iam lactose intolerant so i don''t eat dairy often but i remember getting a sample at Costco and i bought a double pack for xmas entertaining!!) --i think i''ll try that with some salami

Thanks for the ideas gang

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results