shape
carat
color
clarity

Particular Diamond Opinion: .81 CT GIA Cert. G VS2

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
I am looking at a particular diamond, and I need to know if I should pull the trigger or pass. It is rated by the GIA as an "excellent cut". However, when I put the porportions in the HCA calculator, I get an HCA score of 5.3! I attached the full porportions of the diamond. It is .81 ct, G color, VS2. Is the HCA calculator right that I should avoid this stone? Price is $3,100 though Pricescope vendor

CERT_.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
You're looking for an HCA below 2 for further consideration. I'd pass and keep looking.

What parameters are you willing to consider for cut, color, clarity, and carat -- and what's the budget? Does it include the setting, or is that a seperate budget?

Let us know and we'll try to help.

fouroheight68

Rough_Rock
My budget for a stone is <$3500. I am looking for .8 CT and larger. My order of priority is Cut, Carat, Color, Clarity. Should my priorities be different? The one thing most people see first is carat, but there a large carat stone is junk if it has poor reflection. The other stone I have on hold is with Blue Nile (which has the setting I want). Their HCA is a 1.7. Its GIA certified as a .77 carat, G, SI1. Price is $3102. Thoughts?

Cut: Very Good
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth %:
62.2%
Table %:
57%
Polish:
Very Good
Symmetry:
Very Good
Girdle:
Slightly Thick
Culet:
None
Fluorescence:
Strong
Measurements: 5.87 x 5.82 x 3.63 mm

The dillemma I have is I have only found the setting I want in 2 places - Blue Nile and A. Jaffe. Blue Nile is $700 cheaper, but I have to buy one of their stones.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert on diamonds, so I'll leave some other posters to help with making sure you're getting a good deal. Can you post a photo of the setting you like? We may be able to suggest ones that are similar that won't restrict the vendor you have to use.

Blue Nile is usually discouraged, but only because they don't provide images which help to ensure that you're getting what you pay for.

If cut is your most important C...this one isn't going to cut it I don't think, being rated only Very Good. Your ranking is fine, and is by personal preference. Most PSers most important C is like yours, Cut. But the others depend on sensitivity to different things. I'm like you, the next important C to me is Carat. As long as it's eye clean, clarity doens't matter to me, if I can't see it, it may as well not be there. And I actually like some of the warmer colors, so I'd take size over color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results