shape
carat
color
clarity

Parti Color Sapphire vs undesirable Color Zoning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, here is something that I do not understand. Parti color Sapphire seems to be a desirable trait, however, isn''t color zoning in sapphire undesirable? Where do you draw the line? I am attracted to this blue-green Australia sapphire. It has some color zoning, but not in a negative way according to the vendor, where you see big blobs of dark color or harsh lines like sapphires with zoning often show. With this stone, some areas just appear more greener or more blue if you look closely and are looking for that effect Will you consider it a parti-color? it is Let me have your views! TIA

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
there you go!

sapphiresheila.jpg

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Pretty much what I *think* everyone will say is that if you like it, that''s all that matters, not the industry standard.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chictomato,

I''m a big fan of parti-sapphires and I''ll try to attach a pic of my own. I guess the difference with parti-sapphires is the zoning is somewhat "even" and attractive whereas in other sapphires it may just been a "lack" of colour or an uneven distribution of colour. Does that make sense? It''s like a ceylon blue sapphire that is distinctly washed out on one side would be a fault in the stone but true parti-sapphires is where the colour mix is an "addition" to its beauty....

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a pic. Not sure how good the quality is coz I downsized it....

EDIT: Ewww... too pixilated. Will try again.

Party1.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed....

Party2.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Showing some silk......

Party3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Parti-colour, means having different colours or is a patchwork of colours, so the stone will have more than one colour. Most Australian sapphires are parti-colour stones and these commonly blue / yellow / green varieties are referred to as parti-coloured. These almost always have a cheaper price per carat than evenly saturated stones of a single colour.

Bi-colour technically means two colours.

Colour zoning is the effect seen in non-evenly saturated stones which is not a desirable attribute. Many sapphire rough has colour zoning that can often be eliminated by proper orientation during cutting, although when you flip the stone upside down, you will see the zones clearly as paler or clear streaks or bands. They usually only detract significantly from the value if they are visible face up. GIA grading for instance is done face up, so technically, you could buy a stone that is fairly heavily zoned, with a good grading, if the zoning is not visible face up.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto to everything Chrono has said. Zoning = undesirable (unless you like that look). Parti-coloured Sapphires = still undesirable for most people but can be very attractive and "normally" this means that you can pick one up at a very nice price! However, the two or three colours need to be very distinguishable rather than just a slight change.

This is not a particularly good parti-colour sapphire but you can clearly see that it is blue/green/yellow.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2010 11:37:12 PM
Author:chictomato
Parti color Sapphire seems to be a desirable trait, however, isn''t color zoning in sapphire undesirable? Where do you draw the line?

The line is drawn, as in all gems, at how attractive the stone is. Some parti colored sapphires have a flat look to them in which one color is so dark as to make the stone look dead, or the mix of colors is distinctly yucky,(that''s a technical term). Some parti colored stones just look fantastic. They are usually well cut and the colors involved mix and shift so that you are always getting an attractive flash of varying colors from them. Since all sapphires are equally durable, their attractiveness is what sells and the more attractive the higher the price. When evaluating a parti colored sapphire you want a stone which has pleasing colors, which stay pleasing as you turn the stone in various directions. Sometimes the different colors come from the stone being cut cross axis so that you will see the A-B color in one direction and the C color in the other direction. Similar cross colors are often seen in other dichroic stones, tourmaline being the most obvious example. The attached picture is of one such stone which I cut to display it''s really great cross axis green color. ( It went to my son in laws mom....who tends to lose things...oh well).

Parti colors are very hard to judge by looking at pictures and very easy to judge with them in your hand. Always ask the seller how they REALLY look, since pictures can be deceiving with these. Fortunately the costs for these stones is nearly always dramatically lower than for single colored sapphires and so you can get a stone which you find appealing, in larger sizes, for much better prices, (of course the very best will always be expensive),

PartiSapphire1.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Watching this discussion with interest. I really like the sapphire the OP posted. I think one reason is that the colors add to an attractive visual complexity, when you consider the faceting, the play of light, and the colors.

Michael, I have a serious crush on that sapphire!

dzop

Shiny_Rock
IMO, it''s just a marketing name. One man''s "house needs work" is another man''s "fun fixer-upper for the DIYer!"

Personally, I view multi-colored sapphs as flawed, with a few RARE exceptions like the one Michael posted. And most of the Partis I''ve seen are that ugly Reddestone Creek material.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/26/2010 3:58:11 PM
Author: dzop
Personally, I view multi-colored sapphs as flawed, with a few RARE exceptions like the one Michael posted. And most of the Partis I''ve seen are that ugly Reddestone Creek material.

Flawed ? Nope, if they are cut well, they are some of the best in their price ranges. The blues from Reddestone Creek, in sizes around 6mm or so, are just about the most attractive blues that I''ve ever seen, having a deep, satiny, almost fluorescent look. That blue/green one that I posted above is from Reddestone Creek. Much of it depends on how they''re oriented and cut.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 5:55:15 AM
Author: HotPozzum
Showing some silk......
i''m actually liking that silk!

mz

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I just haven't seen ones that have been faceted properly. The ones I've seen either have a green undertone, are inky, or both. They remind me of non-Yogo Montana blues in that way.

EDIT: I tried googling Reddestone sapphire to get pics and went on that AussieSapphire website...and on a whole website devoted to Reddestone Material, I saw exactly 1 stone that had the kind of color I look for in sapphire. I guess you qualified your statement by saying "in their price ranges"; but that's the point, you can't get pretty heat-only sapphire for those kind of prices. Burger King has the best hamburger in the $1 price range; that doesn't mean it's a tasty burger.

Date: 3/26/2010 10:53:54 PM
Author: Michael_E
Date: 3/26/2010 3:58:11 PM

Author: dzop

Personally, I view multi-colored sapphs as flawed, with a few RARE exceptions like the one Michael posted. And most of the Partis I've seen are that ugly Reddestone Creek material.

Flawed ? Nope, if they are cut well, they are some of the best in their price ranges. The blues from Reddestone Creek, in sizes around 6mm or so, are just about the most attractive blues that I've ever seen, having a deep, satiny, almost fluorescent look. That blue/green one that I posted above is from Reddestone Creek. Much of it depends on how they're oriented and cut.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for the inputs! I do appreciate it and I shall post some photos IRL when it arrives to see if its a keeper:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results