shape
carat
color
clarity

Part 2 of 3.8 cttw LGD studs search- how about these GCAL 8x stones through IDJ?

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Could you help me evaluate a new GCAL 8x stone that Yekutiel at IDJ is proposing to match the original 1.88 EVS1? New stone is a 1.88 EVS2. It does unfortunately have an inclusion smack dab in the middle of the table but I'm still willing to consider since these are for studs. IF the other performance parameters are great and if both stones are truly eye clean, I am pretty sure I'd be okay with the table inclusion. Scintillation is much better on this new stone and looks more similar to that of the original 1.88 EVS1. I've asked Yekutiel to bring in the stones in and take photographed ASET and analyze further. As @sledge pointed out, the hearts and arrows on these GCAL 8x stones I'm looking at don't quite meet ACA and CBI standards. BUT, if these stones are quite close in performance, I think the pricing is fair. @yssie @DejaWiz @Kim N

New potential stone: 1.88 EVS2
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=320600061

The original 1.88 EVS1
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=313350016

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO if they’re sufficiently eyeclean for you I like the patterning and light return mating a lot, and I think having both be GCAL 8x is mind clean for you.

For earrings I’m more forgiving of inclusions, personally! But that is of course a very individual thing.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

Could you help me evaluate a new GCAL 8x stone that Yekutiel at IDJ is proposing to match the original 1.88 EVS1? New stone is a 1.88 EVS2. It does unfortunately have an inclusion smack dab in the middle of the table but I'm still willing to consider since these are for studs. IF the other performance parameters are great and if both stones are truly eye clean, I am pretty sure I'd be okay with the table inclusion. Scintillation is much better on this new stone and looks more similar to that of the original 1.88 EVS1. I've asked Yekutiel to bring in the stones in and take photographed ASET and analyze further. As @sledge pointed out, the hearts and arrows on these GCAL 8x stones I'm looking at don't quite meet ACA and CBI standards. BUT, if these stones are quite close in performance, I think the pricing is fair. @yssie @DejaWiz @Kim N

New potential stone: 1.88 EVS2
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=320600061

The original 1.88 EVS1
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=313350016

I think these are a really nice match. Is the cut quality mind-clean enough for you?

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
IMO if they’re sufficiently eyeclean for you I like the patterning and light return mating a lot, and I think having both be GCAL 8x is mind clean for you.

For earrings I’m more forgiving of inclusions, personally! But that is of course a very individual thing.

Thanks much for your input @yssie! I am definitely more lenient with inclusions on stones in earrings. Can't wait to get Yekutiel's in person anaysis.

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I think these are a really nice match. Is the cut quality mind-clean enough for you?

@Kim N, I *think* the cut quality will be mind-clean enough. I'm hoping for some video from Yekutiel so I can see how these stones look. My standards for earring stones are a little bit more flexible than for a ring or pendant.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree they are a good pairing. I’m a guy and don’t have pierced ears but would echo the sentiment I’d be a little more forgiving for earrings vs an e-ring. Without spending a bunch more I'm not sure you get more mind clean from a cut perspective.

The two things I’d be interested to learn from Yekutiel is making sure the stone is eye clean. Yeah, it’s on the table but my bigger concern is it’s black instead of white. Otherwise I think VS2 is probably okay for most folks. Also, no one should really be that close to your ears, lol.

I’m also interested to see a traditional ASET on both stones.

While these may not be ACA or CBI perfection I am not sure how meaningful of a difference they will have in comparison. To me, that would be the big test. Comparing them side by side and making that determination. I’d expect them to be reasonably similar.

I am excited for you and looking forward to some pictures and a review from you.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’ve read through this very interesting thread but I still don’t understand what painting and digging is! Any chance someone can explain in layman’s terms?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve read through this very interesting thread but I still don’t understand what painting and digging is! Any chance someone can explain in layman’s terms?

Same!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was just about to link this same page. Has a really great intro for us non-professionals ❤️

The very very short version is - brillianteering (umbrella word that encompasses both painting and digging) is about changing the way the crown and pavilion facets meet at the girdle, to accomplish either
A) weight retention of the rough, or
B) altered light return.

99.99999% of the time it’s (A) when we talk about mined stones. Especially BIG mined stones, where every iota of extra weight means extra hundreds/thousands/more dollars. There was a period of time, a decade and lots of change ago, when vendors were offering nontraditionally-girdled stones as specialty-cut novelties, for (B), but those efforts are long gone and noone’s selling on that idea any more.

For lab grown diamonds rough preservation is much less critical, so (A) doesn’t make sense (in terms of the amount of time and effort needed to plan and execute vs. what the rough is worth), and (B) isn’t a #thing in the lab world either. So seeing brillianteering in a lab grown stone is kinda weird. But it’s also the sort of thing that you could pretty easily end up with due to carelessness or an oopsie when faceting (rather than verrry carefully considered weight retention machinations). So… That’s my guess for what happened to that stone. Someone just messed it up a bit and figured whatevs, it’ll still sell.

Last edited:

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Ok gang @yssie @DejaWiz @Kim N @sledge

I just got the actual photographed ASET and IdealScope images from Yekutiel at IDJ, along with a video of the two stones (1.88 EVS1 and the newly found 1.88 EVS2) side by side. Wow they look gorgeous to me! I also talked through the stones with him over a phone call. He assured me that though there is indeed a dark crystal under the table of the 1.88 EVS2 - certainly not my preferred inclusion type- it is completely eye clean even up close. I can get over it since I care MOST about the stones' optical performance (e.g. scintillation, patterning, light return) as well as their being well matched. Let me know your thoughts! I am quite pleased with what I'm seeing and it feels like 97% of CBI/ACA standards. From my research I'd pay around $9k (vs. my IDJ quote of $5.2k) to get the last 3% which I don't think is necessary for me to be thrilled.

I just realized Yekutiel didn't label which stone is which for the analysis. Here's a link to the video of the stones side by side:

First stone
GCAL320600061-ASET black (Fancy)-01.jpg

GCAL320600061-ASET white-01.jpg
GCAL320600061-IdealScope-01.jpg
Second stone

GCAL320761502-ASET black (Fancy)-01.jpg

GCAL320761502-ASET white-01.jpg
GCAL320761502-IdealScope-01.jpg

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

I just got the actual photographed ASET and IdealScope images from Yekutiel at IDJ, along with a video of the two stones (1.88 EVS1 and the newly found 1.88 EVS2) side by side. Wow they look gorgeous to me! I also talked through the stones with him over a phone call. He assured me that though there is indeed a dark crystal under the table of the 1.88 EVS2 - certainly not my preferred inclusion type- it is completely eye clean even up close. I can get over it since I care MOST about the stones' optical performance (e.g. scintillation, patterning, light return) as well as their being well matched. Let me know your thoughts! I am quite pleased with what I'm seeing and it feels like 97% of CBI/ACA standards. From my research I'd pay around $9k (vs. my IDJ quote of $5.2k) to get the last 3% which I don't think is necessary for me to be thrilled.

I just realized Yekutiel didn't label which stone is which for the analysis. Here's a link to the video of the stones side by side:

First stone

Second stone

You're golden...those are great looking diamonds!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First stone

Second stone

I think they look fantastic!

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
I know I sound like I'm swooning and that maybe getting this pair is a done deal, but if anything looks out of line with these stones I really do want to hear it. I haven't bought them yet. After all, @yssie pointing out the crown painting on one of the stones IDJ initially proposed was a really good thing and led me to ask Yekutiel to find me a better match.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great to me. And I agree that you're at peak ROI on quality for spend right now - I agree, every bit further toward more perfectly cut you try to go will cost an exorbitant amount for hugely diminished visual improvement. Just not worth it IMO.

Long way of saying if I was in the market I'd get 'em ::)

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
They look great to me. And I agree that you're at peak ROI on quality for spend right now - I agree, every bit further toward more perfectly cut you try to go will cost an exorbitant amount for hugely diminished visual improvement. Just not worth it IMO.

Long way of saying if I was in the market I'd get 'em ::)

Thanks @yssie your opinion and experience count for a lot!!

kathness

Shiny_Rock
Can’t wait to see these!!! I love working with IDJ. They are so patient!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results