shape
carat
color
clarity

Parsnips, I've discovered parsnips

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Brit here & I’ve been fed parsnips since i could eat! Mum used to purée them, then mash them, then just served them as we got older. I love them. Mr T always grows them down with the carrots & leeks.

Carrot & parsnip mash is nice, parsnip soup is delicious, but my favourite is to chunky chop them lengthways & boil them for 30 minutes, then add them to a roasting dish with hot oil & roast at 160 for 45 minutes. A drizzle of honey half way through the roasting process is always a win. They are divine with a Sunday Roast :lickout:

@kenny If you are a veggie grower, you could definitely grow them at home for the price of a packet of seeds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@kenny If you are a veggie grower, you could definitely grow them at home for the price of a packet of seeds.

I wish.

The only place on our lot that get enough sun is right against the house.
Since the house is around 100 years old the dirt around the house has had a century of rain running down paint that has lead. :nono:

missy posted about root veggies with lead and other toxic heavy metals.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought some and added them to the short ribs. Of course I haven't bought then in a while...and part of one was rotten. Oh well, and, they should not have cost over 3 bucks for two small root veggies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Bought some and added them to the short ribs. Of course I haven't bought then in a while...and part of one was rotten. Oh well, and, they should not have cost over 3 bucks for two small root veggies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

I bet they are good with short ribs.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to mention creamed soup. I added them to creamy potato soups in the past. I've used the chicken stock and then put a dollop of light sour cream on top when serving the soup. Or a little truffle oil or truffle salt.

Ooh! You had me at “truffle!”

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...I will tell you about the vegetable I had never eaten of which this reminded me. It is salsifas. My husband had to attend a business dinner at The Rainbow Room in honor of Dr. Aldo Gucci and I went along. The most delicious vegetable I had ever tasted was prepared in some wonderful way to accompany the main dish (which I do not remember). Salsifas (or salsify) is considered to be in the parsnip family, but is not as easy to prepare.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...I will tell you about the vegetable I had never eaten of which this reminded me. It is salsifas. My husband had to attend a business dinner at The Rainbow Room in honor of Dr. Aldo Gucci and I went along. The most delicious vegetable I had ever tasted was prepared in some wonderful way to accompany the main dish (which I do not remember). Salsifas (or salsify) is considered to be in the parsnip family, but is not as easy to prepare.

I don't think I ever see that at the grocery store, but if I do, I'll buy some and hunt for recipes. Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results