kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YUMM!

e.png

I only recently learned what they are.
They just weren't in my 'food-iverse'.
Thank you ATK, America's Test Kitchen. :dance:

Now I put them in omelets, stews, soups, salads, and want to try making parsnip snacks-chips.
I love their spicey/tangy/sweet flavor, kinda like a carrot on steroids.

Tip: Since they are even more hard and dense than carrots, I microwave them a couple minutes before adding them to a recipe.
The first time I had to shop around to find them; I finally found them at our most yuppie $upermarket for $5 a pound.
Now I get em at Trader Joe's for $2 a pound.

Penny for your parsnippy thoughts.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better late than never!

In UK, we can get parsnip crisps/chips, usually as one of the vegetables in a bag of vegetable crisps/chips. However, they are available on their own, however, pricy!

I like to roast them and service as a side dish for roast dinners.

Also great as a Thai-inspired soup with yellow split peas which is very hearty this time of the year when it is cold and miserable.

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love them in beef stew. I have some in the fridge now. YUM.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve never had a parsnip! Do you have a favorite way to cook them?

I just looked them up..They’re double the calories of carrots. Are they worth spending on my measly calorie count today on my diet? Haha

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I discovered them a few years ago - they were among my late MIL’s favorite veggies. Surprisingly sweet! We haven’t had them in a while now though. Thanks for the reminder, Kenny!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love parsnips! I always add them to stews, sometimes to soups (in limited amount; they are sweet) and I also like to peel and roast them on their own or with carrots.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I love parsnips, but they are a root vegetable so they have approximately 26g carbs and that is what I look at. But worth it once in a while!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Delicious! I love them too :)

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YUMM!

e.png

I only recently learned what they are.
They just weren't in my 'food-iverse'.
Thank you ATK, America's Test Kitchen. :dance:

Now I put them in omelets, stews, soups, salads, and want to try making parsnip snacks-chips.
I love their spicey/tangy/sweet flavor, kinda like a carrot on steroids.

Tip: Since they are even more hard and dense than carrots, I microwave them a couple minutes before adding them to a recipe.
The first time I had to shop around to find them; I finally found them at our most yuppie $upermarket for $5 a pound.
Now I get em at Trader Joe's for $2 a pound.

Penny for your parsnippy thoughts.

Now I'm going to have to try them! I wonder if they're good mashed....with butter! (That's how I do turnip roots if I don't want or have the greens.)

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Roasted in olive oil and Slap Ya Mama, they are beloved in my house! I first tried them in the UK in the 1980s, and cook them every fall/winter. I have introduced them to many kidlets, and have yet to have one turn up their nose. The only refusal, in fact, has been my husband’s Irish cousin, who can’t get past childhood memories of how they taste.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love parsnips. I roast or sauté them with other root veggies. With avocado oil. So good.

Unfortunately I only have a before photo

Shopping

870C1AF1-C94C-44E7-B86B-1A277FCDDC3A.jpeg

Ready to be sautéed

DF952621-D958-4194-95D9-150C68770091.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love parsnips. I roast or sauté them with other root veggies. With avocado oil. So good.

Unfortunately I only have a before photo

Shopping

870C1AF1-C94C-44E7-B86B-1A277FCDDC3A.jpeg

Ready to be sautéed

DF952621-D958-4194-95D9-150C68770091.jpeg

They look like they would be delicious!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Now I'm going to have to try them! I wonder if they're good mashed....with butter! (That's how I do turnip roots if I don't want or have the greens.)

They are so yummy mashed! I bake carrots and parsnips with a small chicken and then mash them both with butter and a bit of cream! YUM! Delish meal

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are so yummy mashed! I bake carrots and parsnips with a small chicken and then mash them both with butter and a bit of cream! YUM! Delish meal

Ohhhhh!!! That's my kind of cooking! Especially with chicken!! Thank you for that!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like they would be delicious!

They are scrumptious. I can’t believe I never took an after pic lol. I now roast them in the oven. I had been sautéing them on the stove initially. So good any way you cook them. But you definitely want to limit how much you consume for various reasons. My number one reason to limit them is due to heavy metal contaminants. I always buy organic but unfortunately it’s still an issue. Root veggies accumulate contaminants. Heavy metals, such as cadmium (Cd) and lead (Pb), are always detected in root vegetables. But in small amounts it’s safe for most people.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are scrumptious. I can’t believe I never took an after pic lol. I now roast them in the oven. I had been sautéing them on the stove initially. So good any way you cook them. But you definitely want to limit how much you consume for various reasons. My number one reason to limit them is due to heavy metal contaminants. I always buy organic but unfortunately it’s still an issue. Root veggies accumulate contaminants. Heavy metals, such as cadmium (Cd) and lead (Pb), are always detected in root vegetables. But in small amounts it’s safe for most people.

What temp do you bake them at @missy? I would love to make some this week! I may have to give up my chicken but it would be worth it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I roast them with carrots and potatoes, olive oil and herbs. Or add them to soups and stews. I don't buy them often, but I enjoy them when I do.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I roast them with carrots and potatoes, olive oil and herbs. Or add them to soups and stews. I don't buy them often, but I enjoy them when I do.

Yup. Root veggie bake. My Mom used to make a pureed soup; parsnips and carrots. Lovely creamed soup. (omit the creme and use chicken stock, just as good)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. Root veggie bake. My Mom used to make a pureed soup; parsnips and carrots. Lovely creamed soup. (omit the creme and use chicken stock, just as good)

I was going to mention creamed soup. I added them to creamy potato soups in the past. I've used the chicken stock and then put a dollop of light sour cream on top when serving the soup. Or a little truffle oil or truffle salt.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to mention creamed soup. I added them to creamy potato soups in the past. I've used the chicken stock and then put a dollop of light sour cream on top when serving the soup. Or a little truffle oil or truffle salt.

Yup & yum.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the idea! I never thought about mashing them. I'm thinking they would be yummy mixed into mashed potatoes also. I love them roasted and also in soups/stews.

@kenny, thanks for the idea of making parsnip chips. Will definitely use the food processor to slice them. Have you ever tried Kale chips? Yummy.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What temp do you bake them at @missy? I would love to make some this week! I may have to give up my chicken but it would be worth it!

400 degrees then I put it under the broiler at the end to make it a bit crispy. Depending on your oven it takes between 30-60 minutes

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the idea! I never thought about mashing them. I'm thinking they would be yummy mixed into mashed potatoes also. I love them roasted and also in soups/stews.

@kenny, thanks for the idea of making parsnip chips. Will definitely use the food processor to slice them. Have you ever tried Kale chips? Yummy.

Something else to try: potato peelings - just coat them in a bit of oil, seasoning to taste, then airfry until crispy, very moreish!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find roasted parsnips on their own are quite sweet, however, they are even tastier when drizzled with a bit of honey!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Have you ever tried Kale chips? Yummy.

Not yet, but I intend to go on a recipe safari so I can make some myself.
Thanks for the reminder.

I eat a lot of kale.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love to slice my parsnips, and then quarter them and fry them up in a little oil with broccoli buds, mushrooms, onions, etc. before adding eggs and scrambling them, adding some sharp shredded cheddar cheese at the end to make a nice cheesy vegetable and egg scramble.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to slice my parsnips, and then quarter them and fry them up in a little oil with broccoli buds, mushrooms, onions, etc. before adding eggs and scrambling them, adding some sharp shredded cheddar cheese at the end to make a nice cheesy vegetable and egg scramble.

Mmmmmm. YUM-O-RAMA!
I gotta try that!

Thanks @Wink

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I gotta try that!

Best thing about a veggie and egg scramble is you just need any variety of veggies you feel like using, eggs and mild to extra sharp cheese depending on your taste.

No written recipe needed...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I hear a heck yeah for rutabaga and turnips??? They pair well with parsnips.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Heck Yeah!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results