shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents, would you allow your 16-yr old daughter to...

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Perry...from the chatter on sailing forums, she was NOT very well prepared and NOT well equipped. Not enough single handed ocean experience, and so on. She seems clueless about the ocean she was in from her blog.

And I think you are mixing up Abby''s trip with Jessica''s trip, which were quite different in a lot of ways.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Meant to add - Abby did not collide with a ship. She lost her rig after encountering one of the storms that make this route very unwise this time of year, especially for someone single handing without much experience in these kinds of waters. And this is not a surprise out of the blue storm...there would have been many more just as *bad* or worse in her trip. Something she seems ignorant about.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought Kenny's post about the "save the boat poll" along with donation request was a joke -- no, it's real! Before she was found & rescued I wrote that I wouldn't risk my life to rescue this girl and I honestly wouldn't have. I don't think the fishing boat should have done so if the lives of the crew were truly at risk. Knowing nothing about high seas and boating, I don't know if the captain falling off the ship was a serious event or par for the course in rescue missions of this sort. If it was was serious, I find it reprehensible that the captain and crew would risk their lives. They likely have families to support, people who depend on them. Abby, on the other hand, knew the risks, flat out said she might die, and chose to go anyway. In my opinion, that attitude is fine if you have no dependents and don't expect anyone to bail you out. Her parents were not going to regret their decision to let her go regardless of the outcome. This is selfish thinking in the truest sense. To now expect this family to show undying gratitude to the rescuers is unrealistic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Maria, I thought it may be a joke too.
Nobody would be THAT tacky.
This story is getting worse and worse; I think this father will eventually be proven to be even more revolting than Balloon Boy's dad - not to mention the same he brings to his faith.

Plus, doesn't it take a while to apply for and register a website?
My goodness they got it up so fast.
Surprise Surprise!

Perhaps the family had it ready to go before the "accident".
Smart PR people know you have to take advantage of pubic awareness of media sensations FAST!
It was a rush to get that Michael Jackson movie to theaters soon after his death to make maximum $$$$$$$ .

Proof that the money-grubbing SaveWildEyes site it is not a spoof is right on Abby's blog.
Below is a screen capture of her blog.

If you go to the address, visible in the upper left corner, you'll be able to click on the linkey on the left to reach the Abby's dad's money-grubbing site.

00UhmYeahRightSure.jpg

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kenny, that's how I checked it out -- looking at her blog and seeing the link to the "save the boat" site. I really thought you were being too much of a conspiracy theorist but now I'm starting to agree with you! I tried to vote "no" in the poll but there was nothing to click to submit my vote. Not only did the site go up awfully quick but somehow it is already updated with the names of all these idiots people who supposedly donated money through their paypal accounts. Yeah, sure.

eta: OK, now the site just let me vote. It's 2254 "yes" to 1408 "no."

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Maria,

High seas rescues are dangerous, especially in these conditions. It was not unexpected that the French mariners were at risk. Yes, the captain could have died - been caught in rigging, hit by one of the boats, and so on. Thankfully, he is alive and well. Though, not even a thanks by her on the blog!

Sigh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results