shape
carat
color
clarity

Parents, would you allow your 16-yr old daughter to...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a video of her and her parents.

Link

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kinda watching the threads at Sailing Anarchy. Lot of chatter. The sailors have a lot to say about it.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
DH wants to sail solo around the world one day and I don''t think I''d let him...so my 16-year-old kid? Oh hells no. Between the physical challenges and the mental ones (not to mention the fact that the sea is inherently a risky place), it''s just not something a minor should be doing. If it''s her dream to "one day" do it, let her wait until she''s 18+ and I have no power to stop her.

Totally agree that there are plenty of things teenagers can do on their own, and I''d probably even be fine letting my kid sail with a crew. But IMO,the open sea just isn''t a good place for anyone to be alone, especially a kid.

Maybe if I was smoking crack.
38.gif
40.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 5:31:59 PM
Author: RaiKai

Date: 6/10/2010 5:30:18 PM
Author: yssie

Date: 6/10/2010 5:28:16 PM

Author: honey22

Date: 6/10/2010 4:24:45 PM

Author: Smurfyimproved

Ditto that I would let her if she was well trained. There are many 16 year olds out there that can do stuff I could never dream of and I''m 25.

Depends on the situation. Did you guys see the Aussie Jessica Watson make it around the world? She was only 16. I think the natural reaction would be to say no way, but some teenagers are clearly up for the challenge ie. Jessica.

Really? Just because some get lucky doesn''t make it any less idiotic a venture to begin with. IMHO.

Ditto this.
I think this is the exact reason why the parents allowed her to do it... that her brother did it at 17 or something. And she was trying to break the world''s record for youngest to sail around the world.

And to answer the original question - No, I would let my DD do it.

6.gif
I also wouldn''t spend $90k on a boat for a 16 year old.. jeez.. she had her LIFE LONG DREAM for 3 whole years? If that was the case, I would''ve had a full tattooed sleeves when I was 16 :razz:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 6:48:36 PM
Author: qtiekiki

Date: 6/10/2010 5:31:59 PM
Author: RaiKai

Date: 6/10/2010 5:30:18 PM
Author: yssie

Date: 6/10/2010 5:28:16 PM

Author: honey22

Date: 6/10/2010 4:24:45 PM

Author: Smurfyimproved

Ditto that I would let her if she was well trained. There are many 16 year olds out there that can do stuff I could never dream of and I''m 25.

Depends on the situation. Did you guys see the Aussie Jessica Watson make it around the world? She was only 16. I think the natural reaction would be to say no way, but some teenagers are clearly up for the challenge ie. Jessica.

Really? Just because some get lucky doesn''t make it any less idiotic a venture to begin with. IMHO.

Ditto this.
I think this is the exact reason why the parents allowed her to do it... that her brother did it at 17 or something. And she was trying to break the world''s record for youngest to sail around the world.

And to answer the original question - No, I would let my DD do it.
Most all the big sailing records have already been made, and are insanely hard and expensive to try to beat, so being "the youngest" of something is something that is doable.

Sounds like this family has too much money AND is unbalanced about things. A bad combo.
20.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 6:15:45 PM
Author: ksinger
Kinda watching the threads at Sailing Anarchy. Lot of chatter. The sailors have a lot to say about it.

Thanks for posting about that sailing forum ksinger.
I''m reading it and it is riveting!!!!!!!!

I don''t think we are allowed to post links but it is easy to google up.
When you get there just fink the forum with the most posts.
Then find the 90-page thread.

Navigate to page 79.
Scroll down to post #1968.
That is when this sailing forum hear the news about her activating her emergency beacons today.
It is riveting reading!!!!!!!!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn''t. DH has sailed his whole life all over the world and I wouldn''t want him to try it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEK.
Bad place to be in trouble during a southern hemisphere winter storm.

00abby99.jpg

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 7:55:46 PM
Author: kenny
EEK.
Bad place to be in trouble during a southern hemisphere winter storm.
That is not good.... Just about the worst place possible, huh?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
25 foot waves and snow.

Nice.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time letting my kids out of my sight, I cannot fathom this, whatsoever. MAYBE I''d let my child steer the motorboat while I was standing next to her... maybe lol

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I have been reading those Sailing Anarchy posts...interesting. Sounds like the route she took is considered more difficult than those her brother or Jessica did (and even Jessica got lucky a few times as she put her mast in the water a few times and so on).

Again comparing this to a trip to Europe is like comparing a walk in the local park to climbing Everest. Sure, something can happen to you in the park, but the chances of dying on Everest no matter how careful and experienced you are is FAR greater (and it happens frequently even to the top climbers).

Miracles happen, but rescues in these situations are the rarity, not the norm, and in some cases just logistically impossible (considering fuel supply for the distance out there, weather conditions and so on, suitability for chopper rescue and so on) Even if so far she is alright, hypothermia is a huge concern - it does not take long to set in.

Again, I hope for the best but I think a lot is wrong with this entire situation.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
(I am not a parent)

I can not picture myself letting my child do this at 16 years of age.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, this doesn''t stir up much emotion for me. Of course I hope that this girl is alive and well. If she''s not alive, I hope she died quickly and painlessly. I have a daughter the same age. Asking myself whether or not I''d let my own daughter try this is kind of pointless because I know she would never want to in the first place. We are not a sailing family, my daughter doesn''t have a driving ambition to set a any kind of world-record and our family doesn''t have the "faith in god" that maybe allows people to take these kind of risks.

I see the question of "would you allow your kid" to really mean "should they have allowed their kid?" Is it really so terrible? Lots of people think I''m crazy to let my cats wander freely outside, especially since I''ve had one never come home, but I would rather a cat live the life I feel is right for a cat even if it means risking a shorter life for the cat. Some would say, how can you compare a CAT to a child -- well that''s another thread, right? :) This family obviously feels that their daughter should be able to pursue her dream. If she doesn''t make it, I believe they will not regret their decision.

As for rescue costs -- whatever. More money will be wasted on far less important things!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2010 9:57:52 PM
Author: Maria D
Honestly, this doesn''t stir up much emotion for me. Of course I hope that this girl is alive and well. If she''s not alive, I hope she died quickly and painlessly. I have a daughter the same age. Asking myself whether or not I''d let my own daughter try this is kind of pointless because I know she would never want to in the first place. We are not a sailing family, my daughter doesn''t have a driving ambition to set a any kind of world-record and our family doesn''t have the ''faith in god'' that maybe allows people to take these kind of risks.

I see the question of ''would you allow your kid'' to really mean ''should they have allowed their kid?'' Is it really so terrible? Lots of people think I''m crazy to let my cats wander freely outside, especially since I''ve had one never come home, but I would rather a cat live the life I feel is right for a cat even if it means risking a shorter life for the cat. Some would say, how can you compare a CAT to a child -- well that''s another thread, right? :) This family obviously feels that their daughter should be able to pursue her dream. If she doesn''t make it, I believe they will not regret their decision.

As for rescue costs -- whatever. More money will be wasted on far less important things!
It''s not just the rescue costs, it''s the rescuers'' lives.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not following the story too closely, but I would think that the rescuers are volunteers, no? Is anyone being forced to risk their life to save this girl? I would imagine it's not as if they are like the 18 (17 with parental permission) year old boys who signed up for the Army National Guard and ended up risking their lives "fighting for freedom" in Iraq.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Resounding NO! I''m so worried for the poor girl.
7.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 10:09:36 PM
Author: Maria D
I''m not following the story too closely, but I would think that the rescuers are volunteers, no? Is anyone being forced to risk their life to save this girl? I would imagine it''s not as if they are like the 18 (17 with parental permission) year old boys who signed up for the Army National Guard and ended up risking their lives ''fighting for freedom'' in Iraq.

Rescuers in these situations tend to be a combination of merchant mariners (who often get their first) and SAR techs (for whom this is their job). They are risking their lives in the same conditions that have necessitated the rescue in the first place. So no, it is not just about costs and it is not as simple as saying they volunteered.

For some of them it is their job, but I know enough SAR techs to know they still at times recognize risking their own lives due to anothers foolish choices and are not thrilled about it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
No... I would not be able to give permission for something like this. Too scary.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
I biked the entire west coast ( from Nanaimo BC to Tijuana Mexico ) all by myself when I just turned 17 - I was gone for 3 months. My dad couldn't talk me out of it. I felt confident in my abilities to handle this by myself and glad I did it. I learned so much, I grew up a lot that summer... Gave me confidence that I could handle life and its unexpected bumps and ravines. She is growing and learning that in her own way... I know it seems young for most - but I can relate to her closely.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
No.

Heck NO.

I seriously hope that she''s ok.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
uh, isn''t there some sorta law against allowing your not yet 18-year-old CHILD do something stupid like this?!!

i also like the part where she gets the $90,000 boat at age 16. i guess it''s free reign in that household!

NOT OVER MY DEAD BODY (or my child might end up a dead body)... some people just don''t get it. sigh
33.gif

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 5:23:53 PM
Author: Asu
Maybe I remember wrong,but wasn''t this girl the one who two years ago tried to get the permission of the minor court to do this trip because her parents won''t let her?I remember hearing about this on tv.

That was actually a Dutch girl, who has divorced parents. And 1 parent said absolutely not.

At 16, one thinks they are invincible and cannot make an informed choice. Why all the rush to be "youngest this" and "youngest that"? If it''s about breaking a record, then I question the decision making process.

By the way, there are a whole lot of things I might steer my children away from because I consider it too dangerous that is not at all like an extreme sport. For instance, I''m so happy my daughter got out of ballet and into Karate. Superficially, Karate might seem more dangerous, but I know plenty of girls that do ballet and grow up having eating and body image disorders. That''s way more of a burden and way more dangerous in my mind, than potentially having your butt kicked in sparing practice.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Im following it on the aussie newspapers i still follow online.

I think its rather stupid on the part of the girl and the parents but then many people are so these things are bound to happen. I thought the same about the aussie girl who just did it - i guess to me it seems like a really pointless record to risk your life over. Who gives a rats if you sailed round the world? Now if you ''sailed round the world'' in the sense that you put up in lovely beach resorts in Europe, Asia, the Carribean, the Pacific id be thinking you were pretty cool and id be jealous - but bobbing about the big bad ocean in a tin can? Meh!

On the upside Australian search and rescue are pretty amazing and they often rescue crazies from the seas...i hope they find her alive and bankrupt the hell out of her family
21.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quote: Just heard Abby's dad on the radio. He said they are certain she has lost the keel and is upside down. They deduced this by the rate of drift.

source scroll down to post 2313.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so sad. I can't imaging what Abby is enduring. I am sending her strong prayers for her to hold out till help gets to her. I am hoping she's ok...
17.gif

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Poor girl.

Ugh, the whole situation makes me sick.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This story is interesting to me considering the big fanfare we just recently had here in Australia to welcome Jessica (16) home from a solo round the world trip.

I've seen it suggested a few times that perhaps she took a more dangerous route at a more dangerous time of the year in order to be able to qualify as 'youngest'. Had she waited for the weather to improve she'd have crossed her 17th birthday.

I don't belong to a sailing family or know much about it so don't know if the above is true or not, nor can I correctly gauge the risk of embarking on such an adventure. If parents were to condone it though I would sincerely hope that they'd do everything in their power to help organize and promote a safe trip. I really hope that she hasn't put beating a record before her birthday in front of her safety, and that her parents didn't allow her to do that.

I hope she makes it home safely along with all those who are out trying to find her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results