shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba tourmalines and treatment

hpdeskjette

Rough_Rock
So… I’m considering a paraiba tourmaline (tiny tiny piece but neon and so beautiful).

It comes with a GIA cert that states it’s from Brazil BUT the treatment section states “Color Origin Cannot Currently be Determined”. And then there is all sorts of non-conclusive generic wording about how gemstones are generally treated and that heat treatment and irradiation cannot be detected in some cases.

IMG_2460.png

IMG_2456.jpeg
IMG_2457.png

I was wondering for those experienced in GIA certs and Paraibas:
(1) is this finding on Treatment a red flag? Or is it common wording for untreated Paraibas (because they don’t want to conclude “no treatment” so they conclude “color origin cannot be determined instead” ie they are saying could be natural, could be treated but I don’t know)
(2) or does the fact that they called out heating and irradiation suggest they saw something to suggest such treatment but they can’t conclude sufficiently
(3) I don’t mind heat treatment (price assumes heat anyway) - but would anyone know if irradiation decreases the value of the stone? And if the stone remains radioactive? I just want a nice stone so don’t mind paying for an irradiated stone as long as it’s reflected in price… and of course as long as it is not radioactive

Appreciate any help I can get!

Attachments

• IMG_2460.png
    IMG_2460.png
    105.5 KB · Views: 8

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not an expert in GIA reports, but the only treatments that I know that are conducted on paraiba tourmaline, are heat treatment, and sometimes fracture filling. Red or pink tourmaline is often irradiated. The lidt does indicate that blue tourmaline is just heated, not irradiated.

T L is exactly right... paraibas are routinely heat treated and, in most cases, it is undetectable. In other words, with certain gems, it's difficult or impossible to discern whether mother nature or man heated the crystal. So they will not state definitively either way, hence the catchall language. Paraibas are also sometimes clarity enhanced, but the GIA will specifically mention that under treatments. So this stone is not fracture-filled, according to the GIA. Same thing with red and pink tourmalines... they're often irradiated, and it's unknown whether the exposure to radiation occurred within the earth's crust or in a lab. HTH!

hpdeskjette

Rough_Rock
Thanks both!! That’s good to know :)

And in case anyone else is interested - I googled “GIA Report Paraiba” and looked through what must have been 20+/30 reports on Paraiba (including some crazy beautiful Sotheby’s pieces) and all of them had the same “Color Origin cannot be determined at this time” comment. So I suppose it is used on all Paraiba!

Thanks both!! That’s good to know :)

And in case anyone else is interested - I googled “GIA Report Paraiba” and looked through what must have been 20+/30 reports on Paraiba (including some crazy beautiful Sotheby’s pieces) and all of them had the same “Color Origin cannot be determined at this time” comment. So I suppose it is used on all Paraiba!

As you said, the important thing is that it doesn't affect the value at all (whereas clarity enhancement will). Beautiful stone! Let us know what you do with it if you decide to purchase!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results