shape
carat
color
clarity

PARAIBA TOURMALINE

3Y3SW1D30P3N

Rough_Rock
I HAVE A 9.63 PARAIBA TOURMALINE FROM MOZAMBIQUE ,its mint green and extremely clear it was purchased from gems tv about 8 years ago when they had their first consignment of top class PT which nowadays you just don't see much of on the market, i also have the certification that came with it from Gems TV, I Would like to sell it, so could any one recommend any dealers or point me in the right direction to an agent etc, so as to achieve its true value.
About 6 years ago Stanley's of Birmingham valued it at £40,000. i have seen smaller stones and of less quality on sale for higher than my valuation. i would appreciate any genuine advice also these pics don't do the stone any justice as they were taken with my phone

photo0246.jpg

_14276.jpg

_14278.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a certificate from...GemsTV?

I'm no expert but I hope you're not expecting to sell for even in the same ballpark as the "appraisal value" unless it comes back checking out from a reputable lab such as AGL.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Out of curiosity and because I know nothing about 'Gems TV'.......I googled it. One of the first comments I read was this:

"Gems TV NO REFUND of over £1000 as promised! - Gems TV: Pariba Tourmaline white gold ring
I purchased a pariba tourmaline in white gold in 2006 costing appx £1119. It arrived it was sharp it caught my finger on the shank, I immediately & on the same day took the ring to a reputable jeweller who looked and said it wasn't what I paid for and would I like a valuation to send to the Co." This person continued with their contacts to the company for a refund and issues surrounding that process.

This was 8 years ago as well. You could get an appraisal to be sure what you are selling is what you claim---Gems TV is not a recognized colored stone lab and does not hold value on it's own. AGL is a good source for that. The downside is that you may see information you don't want to see.........Paraiba Tourmalines have been hyped extensively and not all are valuable. The certification is the starting point for sales of any value. Then it can be appraised IF it is a justifiable gem. I'll leave it at that...........

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really should get an AGL lab report that deems it true Paraiba. Even then, it might not sell as much as you had hoped or the appraisal value.

The photos you took are also not very good, and its difficult to properly see the accurate color as the table has glare on it. Besides, it should be judged by the proper venue (AGL).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As the others have suggested, the first step is to get official paperwork; JTV doesn't count due to a conflict of interest. An independent third part, not the seller, should provide verification. From there, you'll know whether it can be deemed a Paraiba (not only the copper content but it has to have a certain level of glow otherwise it is considered a Cuprian tourmaline), colour quality, treatment, etc.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for AGL. But just a heads up that the huge majority of copper bearing stones, despite good color and glow, do not end up being considered of sufficient quality to make it to the ranks of Paraiba status, and do not command the astronomical prices. As to your appraisal, I would suggest that unless it was from an appraiser who specializes in colored stones (maybe others from the UK can say whether your appraiser is one), the valuation provided likely has little relation to what you might achieve upon sale.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stanley's are a Jewellers who GemsTV recommend to carry out valuations for hardly any money. Their valuations are GROSSLY inflated.

I'm afraid that the majority of "Paraiba" Tourmaline sold by GemsTV were not of the standard that would be considered to have the glow and neon quality of a true Paraiba. Perhaps one or two were but you had to be lucky to get one. Looking at your photos, you have a lovely stone but in terms of colour it doesn't quite hit the spot. Green Paraibas are also considerably less valuable than the blue ones and a green stone from Mozambique also reduces the price I'm afraid. :(

For a correct insurance/replacement valuation, you need to send the ring to Safeguard. This won't be a valuation that reflects worth or value though. However, from recent experience I can tell you that only top colour Paraibas are selling at the moment. So if you're going to sell it the valuation will help but you need to be in the right place with the right buyer at the right time.

Good luck with it.

3Y3SW1D30P3N

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who answered and to be honest a lot of what some of you said, i already suspected. i realise that to achieve its full value i will need to get it certified by one of the top Gemological institutes, and this is what i intend to do.
Also as some pointed out the pics do not do it justice whatsoever, the stone has an intense glow and iridescence to it and is extremely clear.
When i purchased it there were 3 rings the same up for sale the smallest being just over 6cts and the largest 9.63 the presenter on the night explained this and said that one lucky customer will receive the 9.63 stone. it turned out that it was me. I am no expert but i feel that this is the real deal and in the top bracket of African paraiba. any how i thank you all once again and will keep you updfated when i get the stone certified. :read:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply & please do let us know what you find out. Best of luck & hoping you get good news!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its always nice when posters come back to tell us what they find out - especially when the news is good. Here's to hoping they confirm what you would like. :))

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please come back and let us know what you discover. Good Luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results