shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Q

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice tourmalines! And the Apatite is quite lovely too..thanks for sharing the photos as I probably won''t be able to afford the PT for a long time, but it''s quite nice to see what a good one looks like (even the windowed ones!)

Laura

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
LD, can i come and play in your jewellery box?
3.gif

that paraiba is kryptonite!
30.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think apatites just look glassy, and tourmalines have more of a shine. Yours is very pretty LD, by the way...and I dont think if Id be dissapointed getting that stone in the mail, expecially if I only paid ebay prices!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apatites have a more vitreous luster to them than tourmaline.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 6:20:28 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
You guys really make me giggle!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Date: 2/1/2010 7:46:59 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 2/1/2010 2:59:42 PM
No you''re thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?

18.35? I think I read yesterday that gems are not an investment? Even with a window, it is a straight candidate for Sotheby''s. Or, if Sotheby''s reject it for some reason, Christie would grab this.
It''s NOT an investment - trust me! Yes, I could sell this particular one for probably 10 times the purchase price (which was very low) - on the right day to the right buyer BUT if the market were to be flooded with neon, clean Paraiba Tourmalines tomorrow, or another find with exceptionally wonderful gemstones came on the market, it wouldn''t be an investment as I would probably only recoup what I''d paid (perhaps more). The market is sooooooo fickle and moves up and down constantly. I never ever buy for investment. I buy for the love of the gemstone.

By the way, in answer to your question about whether to buy off Ebay? I doubt very very much whether you''ll find a true neon PT on there. You''ll find nicely coloured (occasionally well saturated) Curprite Tourmalines but whether any of them would achieve the Paraiba title is debatable. Everybody thinks they have a PT and that it ''glows'' and is ''neon'' and I''ve seen many people who have such specimens but then when you show them a real PT they say ''oh, ok I can see the difference!'' To give you some perspective, I''ve probably seen over 1,000 ''paraiba'' tourmalines and kept only a handful!

This is how people get fooled also. On the left is an Apatite, on the right, a Paraiba Tourmaline. You''re seeing them side by side but imagine you hadn''t seen one before, or had only seen a handful - would you honestly know the difference if the Apatite was delivered to you? This is actually quite a dark Apatite but they come much lighter so you can see how they can be passed off as Tourmaline.
No-o, I won''t see a difference. The only way I can see a difference in your photo is because you mentioned Paraiba being windowed.

LD, forgive me if I am constantly challenging you with this question, and I do see the market going up and down, but look at Hematita alexes! There are probably nicer Indian ones around, and they are cheaper, but I disagree with R. Wise''s saying that "gems have no pedigree" because the price for Brazilian alexes is much higher! It is sort of a "gold standard". Same with Paraibas - and even if yours did not have such a beautiful color, it would still be a rarity just by virtue of being huge! Same with Kashmir or Burmese sapphires. I have seen only two Kashmirs in my life, and both of them instantly caught my attention - both were beautiful although one of them was heated. Burmese, however, were very different, and I have seen some coming from Sri Lanka looking better than Burmese! And yet Kashmir and Burmese ones command a premium. Same with Paraibas - the ones from original mine will cost more just because now they are such a rarity.

This being said, I am not going to diversify my portfolio with gems. I am buying some, just for fun, and never compete with anyone because do not have spare time to learn. I haven''t yet bought a decent diamond although I have been offered many just because I feel I can not do it without serious education. Probably should visit diamond PS as well. I am now in the process of reading Matlin''s book on diamonds. But unless you saw a 100 diamonds, at least, you still know nothing.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 10:52:06 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Apatites have a more vitreous luster to them than tourmaline.
Absolutely but I wonder how many people would notice the difference unless they''d seen a number of each?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 11:32:27 AM

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

No you''re thinking of my certified 18.34ct pendant - which also needs a recut and also has a wndow!
9.gif
This one?

18.35? I think I read yesterday that gems are not an investment? Even with a window, it is a straight candidate for Sotheby''s. Or, if Sotheby''s reject it for some reason, Christie would grab this.
It''s NOT an investment - trust me! Yes, I could sell this particular one for probably 10 times the purchase price (which was very low) - on the right day to the right buyer BUT if the market were to be flooded with neon, clean Paraiba Tourmalines tomorrow, or another find with exceptionally wonderful gemstones came on the market, it wouldn''t be an investment as I would probably only recoup what I''d paid (perhaps more). The market is sooooooo fickle and moves up and down constantly. I never ever buy for investment. I buy for the love of the gemstone.

By the way, in answer to your question about whether to buy off Ebay? I doubt very very much whether you''ll find a true neon PT on there. You''ll find nicely coloured (occasionally well saturated) Curprite Tourmalines but whether any of them would achieve the Paraiba title is debatable. Everybody thinks they have a PT and that it ''glows'' and is ''neon'' and I''ve seen many people who have such specimens but then when you show them a real PT they say ''oh, ok I can see the difference!'' To give you some perspective, I''ve probably seen over 1,000 ''paraiba'' tourmalines and kept only a handful!

This is how people get fooled also. On the left is an Apatite, on the right, a Paraiba Tourmaline. You''re seeing them side by side but imagine you hadn''t seen one before, or had only seen a handful - would you honestly know the difference if the Apatite was delivered to you? This is actually quite a dark Apatite but they come much lighter so you can see how they can be passed off as Tourmaline.
No-o, I won''t see a difference. The only way I can see a difference in your photo is because you mentioned Paraiba being windowed.

LD, forgive me if I am constantly challenging you with this question, and I do see the market going up and down, but look at Hematita alexes! There are probably nicer Indian ones around, and they are cheaper, but I disagree with R. Wise''s saying that ''gems have no pedigree'' because the price for Brazilian alexes is much higher! It is sort of a ''gold standard''. Same with Paraibas - and even if yours did not have such a beautiful color, it would still be a rarity just by virtue of being huge! Same with Kashmir or Burmese sapphires. I have seen only two Kashmirs in my life, and both of them instantly caught my attention - both were beautiful although one of them was heated. Burmese, however, were very different, and I have seen some coming from Sri Lanka looking better than Burmese! And yet Kashmir and Burmese ones command a premium. Same with Paraibas - the ones from original mine will cost more just because now they are such a rarity.

This being said, I am not going to diversify my portfolio with gems. I am buying some, just for fun, and never compete with anyone because do not have spare time to learn. I haven''t yet bought a decent diamond although I have been offered many just because I feel I can not do it without serious education. Probably should visit diamond PS as well. I am now in the process of reading Matlin''s book on diamonds. But unless you saw a 100 diamonds, at least, you still know nothing.
I''m really sorry to keep disagreeing with you and I hope you don''t think it''s personal but I have to agree with Richard Wise. The value of an Alex is predominately in its colour change, size, clarity and then cut. Unless it''s Russian (and can be proved to be so) there is very little premium applied for locality. The "gold standard" is NOT Brazilian, it''s Russian. If Russian and it has all the other qualities of an "investment" piece of Alexandrite, then a premium will be included for locality. However, a poor Russian stone is a poor Russian stone and an Indian or Brazilian one may well be worth more!

There are good and bad gemstones from every locality. It is false to say that the same gemstone family from X will outstrip the same from Y. Gemstones should be valued on their individual beauty.

In the same way, there are some bleurgh stones from the original Paraiba Tourmaline Brazilian find that won''t attract as much attention as an outstanding piece from Mozambique (assuming you are in the camp that believes that the chemical composition of the gemstone entitles it to be called a Paraiba Tourmaline).

Diamonds actually are far easier to buy! There is an international grading system, people understand cut, colour, clarity far better and there is much less open to interpretation! Coloured gemstones are far more challenging because there are many more variables.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 11:45:17 AM

Date: 2/2/2010 11:32:27 AM

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

9.gif
This one?

LD, forgive me if I am constantly challenging you with this question, and I do see the market going up and down, but look at Hematita alexes! There are probably nicer Indian ones around, and they are cheaper, but I disagree with R. Wise''s saying that ''gems have no pedigree'' because the price for Brazilian alexes is much higher! It is sort of a ''gold standard''. Same with Paraibas - and even if yours did not have such a beautiful color, it would still be a rarity just by virtue of being huge! Same with Kashmir or Burmese sapphires. I have seen only two Kashmirs in my life, and both of them instantly caught my attention - both were beautiful although one of them was heated. Burmese, however, were very different, and I have seen some coming from Sri Lanka looking better than Burmese! And yet Kashmir and Burmese ones command a premium. Same with Paraibas - the ones from original mine will cost more just because now they are such a rarity.

I''m really sorry to keep disagreeing with you and I hope you don''t think it''s personal but I have to agree with Richard Wise. The value of an Alex is predominately in its colour change, size, clarity and then cut. Unless it''s Russian (and can be proved to be so) there is very little premium applied for locality. The ''gold standard'' is NOT Brazilian, it''s Russian. If Russian and it has all the other qualities of an ''investment'' piece of Alexandrite, then a premium will be included for locality. However, a poor Russian stone is a poor Russian stone and an Indian or Brazilian one may well be worth more!

There are good and bad gemstones from every locality. It is false to say that the same gemstone family from X will outstrip the same from Y. Gemstones should be valued on their individual beauty.

In the same way, there are some bleurgh stones from the original Paraiba Tourmaline Brazilian find that won''t attract as much attention as an outstanding piece from Mozambique (assuming you are in the camp that believes that the chemical composition of the gemstone entitles it to be called a Paraiba Tourmaline).

Diamonds actually are far easier to buy! There is an international grading system, people understand cut, colour, clarity far better and there is much less open to interpretation! Coloured gemstones are far more challenging because there are many more variables.
Oh, nothing is personal at all. Re. the Mozambique camp - I have read both opinions and don''t know which side to take. I presume if I saw a Brazilian paraiba and a paraiba from Mozambique side-by-side (both certified), I''d choose a better-looking one, all other things being equal. Since there is so much controversy about Paraibas and their color as well, I think TL and someone else (Jeff?) posted a link to an article here, so I shall just keep on reading. Re. diamonds, I have been offered so many "below the marked price", I do not know what to make of it.

satine112

Rough_Rock
ok, my stone from ebay came. it''s pretty.

I took it to a jeweler down here but he didn''t have his refraction machine, so he only looked under the mag. and said he thought MAYBE he saw flux.

I then took it to another jeweler and she did have the refraction machine, i asked if she could look at it and she said "i suppose i could" and took it to the back, came out shortly thereafter and said that it was indeed paraiba tourmaline. she did mention that she didn''t do a whole lot of tests, just a quick look in the refractor machine. honestly, i''m not sure what she did, so i think i''ll have a 3rd opinion this weekend.

it is 1.14 carats and i paid $280, which, in retrospect, was way too much i think. especially after seeing rockhuggers loot and the prices from his vendor (which was where i had previously been looking at for a stone)

oh well. i''ll post some pics tonight of it. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flux???????????????????????????

Ok - you really need to sit down with a gemologist and ask them how they''re testing and what for. In the meantime, please post up photos for us to see otherwise we''ll be calling you a bad Pricescoper!
9.gif

One thing .... please this is SO important. You pay for what you get. For a true Paraiba Tourmaline you''ll be paying $thousands NOT hundreds. If you''re paying less, there''s normally a reason.

satine112

Rough_Rock
yeah, the one guy only had his scope, and he was young and wasn''t that sure. the 2nd place, when she went to the back and claimed to use the refractor, said it was fine. therefore, i think a 3rd is necessary. (if i take a pic now, it will be a cell phone pic, but i''ll be home in 2 hours and can take pics then with a real camera).

the stone pic, on ebay, was blue. it is MUCH more green in person, which is a shame, because i wanted more blue.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Umm....flux?

I am thinking he saw a partially healed fracture. Many paraibas have these (ALL of mine) and are 100% natural.

And ditto to the pic!!! We need pics!!!!!

satine112

Rough_Rock
Ok, here are the photos. the more i look at them, the more upset i''m getting.

P1000043.JPG

satine112

Rough_Rock
and the ebay photo, which is clearly blue.

and yes, i realize the photo looks totally photoshopped, etc, and i took a risk. but to not even be blue at all?? lesson learned. and i'm out of $300.

eta: i'm looking at it again, on it's white bed and it's more blue again?? wtf?? it keeps changing on me.

ebay pt blue.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Satine,
If it''s an ebay stone, did you contact the seller to complain about the color being clearly minty green vs paraiba blue as in his vendor photo? You should be able to return it, or he should offer a partial refund. They don''t like bad feedback.

satine112

Rough_Rock
i haven't left any feedback yet. i just got it today, so i'm deciding what to do. what do you think?? it keeps changing. i'm looking at it again, on its white bed and it's more blue now. i'm so confused.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 9:21:04 PM
Author: satine112
i haven't left any feedback yet. i just got it today, so i'm deciding what to do. what do you think?? it keeps changing. i'm looking at it again, on its white bed and it's more blue now. i'm so confused.
I would talk to the seller. If you're not 100% happy, and $300 is not a tiny bit of money, then I would talk to him.

Although these stones typically have a little green in them, if it's more blue, than it should stay that way.

satine112

Rough_Rock
in darker, indirect lighting, it's more blue. do you think that $300 is too much for this stone?? it is 1.14 carat, 6mmx8mm. it has a big black inclusion on the base, that only shows up from the front on certain angles.

eta: sorry for how long this post has become. i feel so annoying, so apologies.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2010 9:29:09 PM
in darker, indirect lighting, it''s more blue. do you think that $300 is too much for this stone?? it is 1.14 carat, 6mmx8mm. it has a big black inclusion on the base, that only shows up from the front on certain angles.

Honestly...and not to be mean...I think you should return it. I dont think it is worth what you paid (at least not in ebay world). It isnt very clear, and if it has a big black inclusion it DEFF isnt worth 300$. If you LOVED it then I would say keep it...but you dont sound happy at all and sound like you are trying to convince yourself to like it. I still recommend thaigemscity. A NICE, CLEAR, BLUE cuprian tourmaline that size in ebay land should cost you 200$ tops.

I say ebayland because the prices there are different then ''real world''.

Again, not to be mean at all, but I want to offer my honest opinion.

satine112

Rough_Rock
no, it''s not mean at all. i am looking for honest opinions, and you are right

i guess i''m in such a time crunch to get this ring built because i want it for my anniversary gift! silly huh?

ok i''ll see what i can do. they say no returns, or store credit. ideas?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 9:29:09 PM
in darker, indirect lighting, it''s more blue. do you think that $300 is too much for this stone?? it is 1.14 carat, 6mmx8mm. it has a big black inclusion on the base, that only shows up from the front on certain angles.

Don''t apologize!! I agree with Rockhugger that if you''re not happy, you should return it.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
contact them first and tell them the item is not as described (the photo showed blue) and you want to return it. If they say no, tell them you will open a claim and then file negitive feedback, if they refund you willingly (including shipping), you will still leave postive (I have done this many times and it usually works). If they still say no, open a paypal claim under item not as described. Tell paypal they photoshopped and you didnt get the item you saw in the picture. Wait a week and chances are you will get your money back. Half the time you dont even need to return the stone...expecially if the other party doesnt respond.

I bought a 1.5ct diamond and wanted to return it because it was chipped. They said no, and paypal gave me my money back and told me I didnt need to return the item because the seller didnt respond. Well now my hubby has a free 1.5ct diamond (although chipped, he doesnt care) in his ear.

satine112

Rough_Rock
should i try and return it because it''s clearly not the color in the photo and there is the black mark that wasn''t disclosed, or should i keep it and ask for a discount?? i feel bad, the sellers were SO NICE.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2010 10:16:24 PM
should i try and return it because it''s clearly not the color in the photo and there is the black mark that wasn''t disclosed, or should i keep it and ask for a discount?? i feel bad, the sellers were SO NICE.
They were nice because they wanted you to buy the stone. How nice are they to photoshop their stone to trick you? If your not going to love the stone, return it. There are LOTS of cuprian paraibas out there.

satine112

Rough_Rock
ok. *sigh* i hate confrontation. i'll see what i can do.

rock hugger you are funny :) and if there are lots of cuprian PTs out there in the $0-300ish range, then show me! cause i can't find any nice ones where i've looked.

i'm trying to re-create the double halo that was posted on page 2. that ring seriously makes me drool.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will look for you. Keep a look out on PS for the next few days, cause I will find YOU a BEAUTIFUL cuprian. You just gotta know where to look. Ebay takes time to learn and know who sells what. Believe it or not, my 70cts of paraibas didnt cost a whole lot more then your stone. I will find you a wonderful deal too!

satine112

Rough_Rock
lol ok. what if someone snipes it from me!??? i should give you my email somehow. maybe the mods can do that? i don''t know.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Puppys are cute!

satine112

Rough_Rock
u can delete it now

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results