shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Definition

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
I am confused now on the definition of Paraiba Tourmaline. I''ve always liked the green variety more than the bluish or greenish blue. I saw a green Paraiba Tourmaline (see attached) on Ajsgems.com that I really like. It is green, unheated and will come with a certificate. From the data on the certificate, the stone is a yellowish-green variety Tourmaline and Copper (Cu) trace element can be detected. I then looked at the other blue or greenish blue paraiba tourmalines in the same web site which would also come with a certifcate. They all say "based on the presence of copper trace element, the stone can be considered to be Paraiba Tourmaline in the gem market".

I really like the green color but since this is the only stone that the certificate does not include the statement that it can be considered as "Paraiba Tourmaline", it seems to imply that in fact it is not; instead, it may be considered in the gem market as a regular green tourmaline that happen to have some copper. I thought all copper bearing tourmalines are supposed to be "Paraiba" but now I am not sure. This is too confusing for me.
33.gif
33.gif

MS_Para1.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/21/2006 3:08:59 AM
Author:maxspinel
I am confused now on the definition of Paraiba Tourmaline. I've always liked the green variety more than the bluish or greenish blue. I saw a green Paraiba Tourmaline (see attached) on Ajsgems.com that I really like. It is green, unheated and will come with a certificate. From the data on the certificate, the stone is a yellowish-green variety Tourmaline and Copper (Cu) trace element can be detected. I then looked at the other blue or greenish blue paraiba tourmalines in the same web site which would also come with a certifcate. They all say 'based on the presence of copper trace element, the stone can be considered to be Paraiba Tourmaline in the gem market'.

I really like the green color but since this is the only stone that the certificate does not include the statement that it can be considered as 'Paraiba Tourmaline', it seems to imply that in fact it is not; instead, it may be considered in the gem market as a regular green tourmaline that happen to have some copper. I thought all copper bearing tourmalines are supposed to be 'Paraiba' but now I am not sure. This is too confusing for me.
33.gif
33.gif

Hi MaxSpinel:

35.gif

Well in my own personal opinion

9.gif
I think using the term “Paraiba Tourmaline” is a real stretch in this circumstance in the traditional sense. All the Paraiba I have seen is/are Neon, Fluorescent, Electric, or Peacock blue. What this description might be referring to is the greens that contain (Cu) copper from the new discovery in Africa (Mozambique). To be blunt
40.gif
I think the claimer "based on the presence of copper trace element, the stone can be considered to be Paraiba Tourmaline in the gem market" is definitely a marketing strategy which is in the favor of marketing the gem based on the premium “Paraiba” carries. I think this statement is a little stretched to suit the outfit marketing the gem.
39.gif

There is a new vein of gem-quality stones with the extraordinarily bright shades of blue and green. The blues come in sizes up to eight carats and the greens up to twenty carats. Because of the difficulty in mining, the supply will always be limited and the tourmalines will always be rare and expensive. It is unique in that it is the only tourmaline whose color is derived from the trace element copper. This variety of tourmaline can occur in truly neon hues which I think the traditional definition of “Neon” tourmaline should fall under.The color can be described as capturing the color of the Carribean Sea on a sunny afternoon.

21.gif

Questions I would ask myself is comnpare the “neon” blue tourmaline to the newer find exhibiting the greenish hue and you be the judge. Look at the Price tag attached to each. Parabiba in the traditional sense can command 10K per carat.

There is an additional controversy going on surrounding this gem. Paraiba is more a description of “region” rather than color. The 1st find was in the late 80’s out of “Paraiba” Brazil.2nd was the 2001 find in Nigeria in 2001, and the new find out of Africa. The controversy addresses wether gems outside Paraiba can be called Paraiba since the name in the market place from the first find until 2001 indicated origin also.

There is a lot of tension in the marketing of this gem. The dealers and brokers who invested in the “old-stock” of the original “Paraiba” tourmaline want to protect the mystique of that the original deposit carried, while those with stocks of the new material wanted to push prices as high as possible.

The original Brazilian (Paraiba) stones have a high copper and a low bismuth content, compared to the (African) Mozambique stones, which have lower copper and higher bismuth content.The Nigerian sones from the 2001 find contain lead as a contaminant.

It is true that Paraiba is defined by the (Cu) Copper bearing content, but if you ever have a chance to look at the finer gems from the 3 different finds, I summize you will be able to tell the difference between the 3 and why the original find carries the real premium. Look at the supercharged depth and vividness compared to some of the finer gems from the other locales and the different subtlties in hue compared to the supercharged punch vivvid colors the original find display. It is very true there are exceptional gems from the other 2 finds, but If you were to Line the Best Gem from Each of the "finds" up, what would you spend you money on. I am glad you like the greenish colored paraiba's, but $625 for a 2.35 ct. "Paraiba" ?

28.gif
Also...Modifiers or secondary hues like yellow only lower the value of this gem. Similiar in looking at fine peridot which has the modifier "yellow". These gems are beautiful, but if you were to take a look at the finest Burma Peridot with the classic "7-up" bottle green color you will notice a difference in quality also. This is a different dtory all-together thogh...
3.gif

My “3” Cents, Sorry for ranting…
41.gif
Hope this helped...

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/21/2006 5:05:37 AM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut

It is true that Paraiba is defined by the (Cu) Copper bearing content, but if you ever have a chance to look at the finer gems from the 3 different finds, I summize you will be able to tell the difference between the 3 and why the original find carries the real premium. Look at the supercharged depth and vividness compared to some of the finer gems from the other locales and the different subtlties in hue compared to the supercharged punch vivvid colors the original find display. It is very true there are exceptional gems from the other 2 finds, but If you were to Line the Best Gem from Each of the ''finds'' up, what would you spend you money on. I am glad you like the greenish colored paraiba''s, but $625 for a 2.35 ct. ''Paraiba'' ?

28.gif

Hi, Josh,
I did have a chance to look at the Paraiba type tourmalines from the 3 sources, Brazil, Nigeria and Mozambique. The Brazilian one is superb while most of the Nigerian ones are so pale that it is clearly not in the same league. Some Nigerian stones look in fact very similar to an aquamarine. They are extremely pale under the sunlight but they do exhibit some electric neon qualities in incandescent light. However, the finest Mozambique that I''ve seen actually come close to the Brazlian.

As for the color, based on the limited gem show that I''ve attended, there are really more blues than greens. Somehow I like the green better because in a sea of blue, the green really stands out. When I try to prize the greens vs. the blues in the show, there is not really a big difference; even for Nigerian goods, they are > $3000/ct retail and $1800/ct wholesale back in April of this year. It should be noted that this is assessed based on the shows open to the public so I really don''t know the wholesale price.

I too am very surprised to see $625 for a 2.35 ct Paraiba Tourmaline even it is the green variety. However, since this is the only stone, even with the copper content, doesn''t make it to be considered to be a "Paraiba Tourmaline" in the Thailand Institue certificate, I think either the Copper content is too small or the hue is not accpetable by the trade. All in all, if the stone is pretty and possess some neon quality, then may be the certificate is only academic. I guess not all copper bearing tourmalines are "Paraiba"s so each stone should be evaluated on it own merit.
12.gif

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Hi Max and Josh,

I bougt this ring with its tiny green, original source, Paraiba cabs nearly 10 years ago. Gem lovers who see it almost always mistake it for emerald as, it has that glow and intensity. The color draws your eye from across the room even though the stones are very small.

I''d love to have a large, faceted blue or blue green original source stone of this color intensity, but that must wait until my ship comes in, alas.

Barbara

Paraiba.ring1.jpg

maxspinel

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiosity, I can''t help but ordered the stone in interest. When I get it, I''ll report whether it glows or not. Well, I certainly hope that it does but may be that is just wishful thinking. Well, we''ll see.
36.gif
36.gif

Max

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results