shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba tourmaline advice. To keep or not to keep?

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

It is my dream to own a paraiba, but prices are crazy and supply is low. I managed to grab this one.

I just wanted to know your opinions of the stone.

I messaged before purchasing the stone whether there was a window or not. I was told no window. But to me it looks like there is. Is it me? Or this not classified as a window?

The stone is pretty eye clean. There is a report from the AIGL lab. I contacted them and they said they performed RI and spectrum analysis. No origin information. The second question is, IF I keep the stone, whether it's worth it to send it to AGL or GIA for a report. It's a tiny 0.5 ct stone, so I'm not sure if its worth it.

I love the colour! Not sure if its the top colour, but it looks attractive to me.

Thanks!

2017-06-15 20.14.29.jpg 2017-06-15 20.00.10.jpg 2017-06-15 20.17.47.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look glowy to me. A cab will be less pricey than a faceted one, so is a stone on the greenish side instead of blue. I would opt for a glowy cab or a glowy green than a blue that looks like an aquamarine.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty colour but I agree that it does not look glowy. Also, there indeed seems to be a window based on the pic. However: if it would have a glowy stone, the window might not have bothered you too much. To me the stone has a rich aqua appearance and you might want to search for a glowing stone.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the second picture of it but I think it defo does have a window. Do you like it? If so, do you like it purely for that colour or because it's a paraiba? If the latter, then I'm sure you could do better.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt because I've never seen a paraiba for real, for ever in my life so my 'advice' Is exactly what it's worth. Not much :)

Edited to add* The clarity looks good to my untrained eyes? Whether you keep it or not really depends on what you're after and what you're willing to sacrifice to find what you want in your budget. Think that's the main thing. You might get a more glowey stone but it'd probably be a lot more included then this one, something to bear in mind. And again with cabs (personally love them), you might just prefer the clarity of an actual faceted stone.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely has a window. Nice color but a bit lighter than most people would like for a paraiba and does not seem to display much glow. If it were me, it would come down to my personal tolerance for windows, poor cutting, and also the price. If it is being sold at paraiba prices, you might be paying a premium for the name only but you're not getting the glow or color.

S

SparkliesLuver

By no means am I an expert, but I have seen both faceted paraibas and cabs in person. That said, I'd pass. As others have pointed out, it doesn't seem to have that glow they're known for. It also looks to have a window but that's really personal tolerance. The tone also seems to be more pastel. Regardless of what you paid, I would return it and spend that money toward another try. I'm sure you could do better, especially if you share your parameters.

Trust me, when you see a better paraiba, all the things we're saying will make sense and you'll be like, "YES!" :lol: There are no questions when that happens. ;-)

ETA: I'd send any paraiba to AGL for a report when you find one you're keeping. It'll be helpful to have. But that's my two cents.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahaha, I don't think I would keep that one based on color. It just doesn't seem to have a glow to it. If you are looking for a paraiba then you really want that glow right? My own paraiba doesn't have that same crazy glow I've seen here (Acinom's comes to mind) but I didn't pay insane prices either.

Also, that one does have a window. I, personally, don't like windows but I do actually have a paraiba with a window (and I was willing to overlook it because it had the glow I was looking for). :kiss: That's just a personal preference.

I'm just gonna throw this out there: If you want to give me your email (via an LT posting), I can keep an eye out for you. I tend to stalk LT and Cecile Raley Designs (Lord knows I shouldn't be :confused:). I can send you anything that pops up. :D You may have a better chance getting something than if it's posted straight onto the forum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Mochiko, you'll have to decide where your deal breakers are.

1. Windowed but might be forgiven depending on the size and the rarity of the gem
2. Glow factor is nice but not wow. Again, it is dependent on the asking pricing
3. It is very clean, unlike most Paraibas I've seen lately
4. Will you regret letting it go aka can you find something you like within your budget?

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

Here are my thoughts so far.
I love the color but I did find something that's off. Now I know it's the glow. This is also the first time I've seen a paraiba in person.

Clarity is very good. And the brilliance is very good. The window is something I am willing to overlook if it ticks all the other boxes. It seems like the glow is the most important factor and this one is lacking that. I definitely don't want to pay for just the name. Currently, I'm leaning towards returning it. I have a small time window to do that, so thank you for the quick responses.

Paraiba is definitely a stone I want in my collection. Given its rarity and price. Most likely I only will want 1. If that's the case, I rather get something better. The only reason why I'm not /definitely/ returning it is because it's a very clean and brilliant stone. Hard to come by in a pariaba these days.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mahaha- I think you can easily and affordably get this color and brightness in a blue zircon. Also- would you consider keeping this stone if it was a zircon? I have bought rare stones because they were rare but returned them because they lacked what was so special that made them so sought after. Once in hand I realized I was more in love with the "rarity" of the stone and not the stone itself. Hope that helps.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yesterday's one is back on Yvonne's page.

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the heads up! What do you guys think about that one? Seems a bit too included no?

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Wow, it's sold. Seems pretty crazy. Seems like you have no time to think. Just click!!!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha you really don't! If you want why don't you email her with your budget and see if she has any in the background.

I personally did think the inclusions were a bit more distracting then the one I purchased from her. The one I got, in pictures anyway seemed so 'glowey' I couldn't really make out the inclusions.

It could just be different angles and quality of pics..

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Yup. I already did. Thanks! :) Yes, I felt the same way about the inclusions, which was why I hesitated. Congrats to whoever bought it though. @theredspinel, you didn't get yours yet right? Waiting to hear your impressions soon!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tbh mahaha ( and I only say this because you sound exactly like me last year) I'd say just wait. On all paraiba's. Do a lot more reading and looking at pics and perhaps get other gemstones you want in the meantime to figure out exactly what you want in a gemstone.

I even said the exact same thing about "I'm only going to buy one paraiba" - or whatever gem variety because I love too many without a budget to match haha!

I feel like from back then to now, I'm so much clearer on what I like and I've also (thank God) shed the feeling of "omg it's so rare I need it now" like it's going to be mined out tomorrow :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh mahaha ( and I only say this because you sound exactly like me last year) I'd say just wait. On all paraiba's. Do a lot more reading and looking at pics and perhaps get other gemstones you want in the meantime to figure out exactly what you want in a gemstone.

I even said the exact same thing about "I'm only going to buy one paraiba" - or whatever gem variety because I love too many without a budget to match haha!

I feel like from back then to now, I'm so much clearer on what I like and I've also (thank God) shed the feeling of "omg it's so rare I need it now" like it's going to be mined out tomorrow :D

I've loved paraibas for years but only recently started to buy any. Mostly because everything was way out of budget. :lol: I actually bought mine within a reasonable budget. I may not have the most amazing pieces but I get such joy from wearing them. I actually wear the smaller one (in my avatar) all the time. That stone is more included and cost me about $500. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for the joy that glow brings me. :love:

When you see something you have to be prepared to pounce on it. They move fast. :lol: That's why it's so great to deal with the approved vendor list. You can see it in person and if it's not all you hoped, you can send it back.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with paraibas or even cuprians, you know when its right. Its the main reason why i don't have a blue/blue-green one...lol

I'm in agreement with everyone that this is a pass for various reasons.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with paraibas or even cuprians, you know when its right. Its the main reason why i don't have a blue/blue-green one...lol

I'm in agreement with everyone that this is a pass for various reasons.

I know how you feel Arcadian. I have been ruined by seeing the lovely Paraiba's such as Elle's and others on PS. :)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've loved paraibas for years but only recently started to buy any. Mostly because everything was way out of budget. :lol: I actually bought mine within a reasonable budget. I may not have the most amazing pieces but I get such joy from wearing them. I actually wear the smaller one (in my avatar) all the time. That stone is more included and cost me about $500. I'd say that's pretty reasonable for the joy that glow brings me. :love:

When you see something you have to be prepared to pounce on it. They move fast. :lol: That's why it's so great to deal with the approved vendor list. You can see it in person and if it's not all you hoped, you can send it back.

Omg seriously? $500? I can't believe that!!! That's the other thing I'm so glad I'm starting to learn now, you really don't have to break the bank to find a stone you absolutely love.

Please link to the original thread for your ring elle, it's one of my all time favourites. I gota read all about it again!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found it! Reading it again....i die for that colour combo!

You're so badly truly madly desperately wanting me to set my own one asap in a ring...with pink.... ugh No!

Gota stick...with....plan...stick...stick I say stick! With earring plan! Phew.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know how you feel Arcadian. I have been ruined by seeing the lovely Paraiba's such as Elle's and others on PS. :)

Wow. I feel so honored that my rings made such an impression on you. I like thinking they're memorable. Thank you! :kiss:
I don't want to ruin it for you though. I hope you get your own one day anyway. I'm living proof you can do it on a budget. So is Mochiko by the way (I am pretty sure her cuprian was very inexpensive). :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found it! Reading it again....i die for that colour combo!

You're so badly truly madly desperately wanting me to set my own one asap in a ring...with pink.... ugh No!

Gota stick...with....plan...stick...stick I say stick! With earring plan! Phew.

You're killing me! :lol::lol::lol:
Okay, no more now. All the flattery is going straight to my head. :lol-2: I even updated my avatar because of you..lol.

Last edited:

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Who's this Yvonne I keep hearing about?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're killing me! :lol::lol::lol:
Okay, no more now. All the flattery is going straight to my head. :lol-2: I even updated my avatar because of you..lol.

Lol well it's well deserved!

I know it's not, but if I wasn't a pser I would swear, absolutely swear that the paraiba in your updated pic had been edited. That is literally glowing. It's crazy!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol well it's well deserved!

I know it's not, but if I wasn't a pser I would swear, absolutely swear that the paraiba in your updated pic had been edited. That is literally glowing. It's crazy!

It's all about the angles..and some good lighting. :lol:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Who's this Yvonne I keep hearing about?

Yvonne has an etsy shop and is one of the recommended vendors here. She's lovely, I personally really like her!

Cecile raley designs (or some variation of this) is her shop.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may not have the most amazing pieces.
Ummm...I beg to differ

Admittedly, paraibas are what got me seriously into colored stones. I only wish I could find more of he true windex blues like a a few of the ones in my original cluster ring...nonetheless, I still love the others and keep buying because I can't resist the glow. Keep in mind that most Paraiba's ARE included - you just want to make sure that they don't interfere with the ability to safely set and wear.

The OP mentioned no origin is stated...given the clarity and tone, it seems like it might not be a Paraiba from Brazil but a paraiba from Mozanbique/Nigeria which commands less of a premium. Regardless, agree with others.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Yvonne has an etsy shop and is one of the recommended vendors here. She's lovely, I personally really like her!

Cecile raley designs (or some variation of this) is her shop.
Ah, thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results