shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Touraline testing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Can I get some advice, please?

How does one go about checking to see if a pale blue-green tourmaline really is a Paraiba, containing copper? As in a tourmaline from Mozambique?

Who does the test, what does it cost, and is it invasive or destructive?
Are there several organizations who can do this, and if so, which do you all prefer?
What is the turn-around time if anyone has used specific services?
How does one know if one is getting the same stone back? Is there a reasonable way to mark a stone for identity??

Thanks!
1.gif

Ger

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Ger,

The best and cheapest place I know of the get stones tested for copper is a person named Marty Haske of Adamas Gem Lab (http://www.adamasgem.org/) . He invented the SAS2000 Spectrophotometer Analysis System. It analyses the absoption spectrum in the gem and compares it to other known stones. It can detect the presence of copper. He charges an hourly fee with a one hour minimum plus shipping. I beleive the fee was $200/hr a few years ago. If you have a few stones, he can do one in about 10 minutes. If copper is detected you can then send the stone to a lab like the AGTA or AGL for a cert. The last cert I got from the AGL cost me about $800 so I make sure it is copper bearing before sending it.

Regards,
Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results