shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba prices -- finally making a ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eastoutwest

Rough_Rock
All:

I bought a lovely little Paraiba tourmaline about a year ago. I don't have a photo, but trust me, it's lovely. Great neon color, exquisite crystalline clarity, a couple of little "birthmarks" but an uncommonly clear stone for a Paraiba. It was certified as cuprian elbaite, and it is of Mozambique origin.

I have a goldsmith working on a gorgeous gentleman's ring -- looks like an inverted pyramid, tapered square shank with comfort fit in yellow gold, white gold table on top with Paraiba oval bezel set east-west to the right side of the table, and a .20-carat diamond in the upper-left-hand corner as a bit of a punctuation mark the white gold table will be a brushed / stone finish, but the gold underneath the Paraiba will be high polish. I also have small blue diamonds (treated, not natural) set at the four corners of the square shank on both sides that look kind of like rivets -- the ring will contain about 30 grams of gold -- HEAVY!

Well, aside from beaming with pride that I'm finally having this ring built, as part of our process with the goldsmith, etc., I took the raw stone to a GIA gemological laboratory to be appraised.

The stone came back appraised at $3000/carat. I have a 2.36-carat stone. Not bad, I guess, but I was expecting a bit more. I was told by one of the gemologists I'm working with that this lab is known to be a bit on the conservative side, but that's quite a bit below other verbals I was given by more than three gemologists and gem dealers. I know it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to really comment on this without seeing the stone, but does this seem low for a cuprian elbaite, good color saturation, great neon color, a few natural inclusions as would be expected in a stone of this type, and good cut. Is this in the ballpark or do I seek a second opinion before I have it mounted for insurance purposes?

Oh -- this is Mozambique material -- could that have been why the lab kept the price a bit low?

Just looking for some ideas. I was really expecting about $5,000/carat.

Thanks. I can't wait to upload pix when I get them. It's still going to be stunning and I can't wait to be wearing around a 2.36-carat Paraiba!!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
There is a massive $120 million dollar law suit going on at the moment against AGTA, GIA and one of the African mines over the moniker - 'Paraiba'.

It seems very likely that any stones that are not from Paraiba or at least Brazilian in origin will not be able to be called 'Paraiba' in the future if the case is won by the appellant. This may well have something to do with the valuation, but that's just a guess on my part.

The latest edition of Colored Stone has a huge article on the situation. There's more info here and here.

Personally I think he's got a valid point - I mean, if the Madagascans started selling their blue sapphires as Kashmir Sapphires and the AGTA and GIA were certifying them as such it would be a major problem. Ditto if they were selling Sri Lankan rubies as 'Mogok Rubies'.

You're always going to get some people trying to pass things off as something more than they are, but when the big labs etc are condoning it...
38.gif

I thought this bit was particularly salient:

According to AGTA's “Code of Ethics and Principles of Fair Business Practices,” members must protect the industry and their clients against misrepresentation and avoid exaggeration. They must be diligent in combating and exposing gemstone misrepresentation and not take unfair advantage of another person or firm's merchandise in order to promote and sell his or her own merchandise. Gems must not be misrepresented as to their origin.

eastoutwest

Rough_Rock
Well -- I wasn't really trying to get into the Brazilian vs. Mozambique/Madascan material discussion. Cuprian elbaite tourmaline is cuprian elbaite tourmaline, isn't it?

I was very open with the lab that this was not Brazilian material, and they did adjust the price down accordingly.

Anyway, I feel like I have a gorgeous stone, I'm feel that the $3,000/ct is low, but fair, and it's well above what I actually paid for this stone a year ago.

I'll wear it for 10 years and see how this all shakes out. The one thing we do know, this kind of neon-blue copper-bearing tourmaline isn't cheap now, and isn't getting cheaper!

Thanks for the thoughts.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2008 9:28:49 PM
Author: eastoutwest
Well -- I wasn''t really trying to get into the Brazilian vs. Mozambique/Madascan material discussion. Cuprian elbaite tourmaline is cuprian elbaite tourmaline, isn''t it?

I was very open with the lab that this was not Brazilian material, and they did adjust the price down accordingly.

Anyway, I feel like I have a gorgeous stone, I''m feel that the $3,000/ct is low, but fair, and it''s well above what I actually paid for this stone a year ago.

I''ll wear it for 10 years and see how this all shakes out. The one thing we do know, this kind of neon-blue copper-bearing tourmaline isn''t cheap now, and isn''t getting cheaper!

Thanks for the thoughts.
It was more my guess that the labs are currently wary about this which made them perhaps value the stone for less that you had hoped for.

Re the curprian elbaite, potentially yes and no. The tourmalines from Brazil have a much higher percentage of copper content, whereas those from Africa have only a trace on the whole. I don''t know how big a difference this could make with tourmalines.

Certainly with garnets, altering the proportions of particular elements even in small ways can produce two separately identifiable beasts.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, what ever the name game situation, I''m sure it''s a gorgeous stone - now, when do we get to see the pictures!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
eastoutwest,
I was offered a top Mozambique cuprian elbaite of around the same size as yours for about the same price. My dealer is a reputable and extremely fair man, so I''d say $3/ct. is in the ballpark. Also, I believe the Mozambique material is cheaper than the Brazilian material.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet, would you be able to provide your source? I would love a gorgeous Mozambique tourmaline too and that price point is irresistable..

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry, but I can''t. I would if I could. The dealer does not normally work with individuals, but a mutual friend spoke for me. Again, I''m sorry.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
No worries Harriet.. but do let me know if your source decides to go retail one day (and I hope he does!)..

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will do

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results