shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba... paraiba... what have I done?!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Let me preface this by saying I've never been much of a coloured stone girl.

This all ended when I purchased a pretty light seafoamy green emerald from CVB (still waiting for it to be finished in its custom setting!). From then on, I would browse the coloured stones forum... hoping to learn a little bit more here and there, mostly about emeralds as I bought mine unseen (I know.. potential for disaster there but I trust Caysie and it wasn't ridiculously expensive)!

THEN I started seeing all these threads about Paraibas... I'm sure you all know how it goes. One moment I had only heard of them in passing... the next, I'm TRAWLING through pricescope for every thread I can come across!!

So when Yvonne recently listed her new stones, I jumped. This is majorly stretching my budget and it won't be set for a LONG while... plus I have it on a short layaway... but I've just paid the deposit on my very own paraiba!!!

It's pretty included... but seems glowy from the photos and I do love that colour!! Hopefully it will be what I'm looking for when it finally makes it into my hands!!

Here's one of Yvonne's photos:

paraiba.jpg

Thoughts on the stone?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, ooh...is that the 2.5ct one? I wanted that so bad but my budget said no :naughty: (stupid budget:nono:). I'll admit that I'm feeling some jealousy. :lol-2::mrgreen:

It's more included but it seems like anything less than a car is more included now anyways. I actually like the inclusions. I think it lends itself to the glow. It's all about the color anyway right? :D

I hope you love it. Welcome to the club! :razz:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! And welcome to the Paraiba club! Your stone seems to have a mesmerizing colour and glow

i_love_diamonds

Rough_Rock
i love it. paraiba tourmaline has been my favorite for years now. i wish i could own one.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay!! Congratulations! It's a lovely and glowy!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Elle, yes this is the 2.5ct one!! I think I saw you posted it on the someone's got to buy this thread.... I umm'd and ahh'd given the cost but no one else snapped it up and the colour just seemed to speak to me compared to the others she had listed...

Here's hoping it glows in person!!

littledebbie81

Shiny_Rock
Elle, yes this is the 2.5ct one!! I think I saw you posted it on the someone's got to buy this thread.... I umm'd and ahh'd given the cost but no one else snapped it up and the colour just seemed to speak to me compared to the others she had listed...

Here's hoping it glows in person!!
Have you received it yet? Looking forward to seeing pics!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not yet!! Still paying off my layaway so it will be awhile.... Just saw the new one that Yvonne has up on her page. I'm almost tempted to ask if I am able to swap the one I have on layaway for it- it's a heck of a lot cheaper!! But it's smaller too... so many decisions... I guess it will be hard to size up in the future if I want a bigger stone...

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not yet!! Still paying off my layaway so it will be awhile.... Just saw the new one that Yvonne has up on her page. I'm almost tempted to ask if I am able to swap the one I have on layaway for it- it's a heck of a lot cheaper!! But it's smaller too... so many decisions... I guess it will be hard to size up in the future if I want a bigger stone...

If you can comfortably afford it with the layaway I'd say stick to the bigger one. A) it's bigger and b) I think it looks a bit nicer too?

I have to get smart about my gem purchases (after seeing Elle' s family picture)! And save up properly so I can get bigger then meelee sizes!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you I think your reply helped me make up my mind and when I looked again, her new paraiba had already been snapped up!!

Once I pay off my layaway I will have to save up to set it... but have already approached Alistair Kelsey (inspired by Acinom's gorgeous zircon trilogy ring in his elegance setting- I hope that's ok!!) about getting something of a similar style made up :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you I think your reply helped me make up my mind and when I looked again, her new paraiba had already been snapped up!!

Once I pay off my layaway I will have to save up to set it... but have already approached Alistair Kelsey (inspired by Acinom's gorgeous zircon trilogy ring in his elegance setting- I hope that's ok!!) about getting something of a similar style made up :)
Naturally that is ok!! It's Alistairs design anyway and I would be honoured. Alistair is a dream to work with and I would love to here your experiences once you start working with him.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been meaning to try him out for some time, given I'm from Australia so he's semi 'local' to me

Your gorgeous zircon ring absolutely decided it though. He kindly fixed one of my JbG bangles free of charge after I accidently caught it on my bag while wearing it and forcefully swung my arm forward, bending it WAAAYY out of shape (who knew my arm swing was so strong?!) so I have been waiting for the right project to come up to send to him- I've had OEC projects and duchess cut projects but none of those were ever quite right... I believe setting this paraiba may be the one for him!!! It's certainly going to be one of the more costly stones in my little collection so I think his hand forged setting may do nicely!!

May I ask how you like his work for your ring Acinom?

This will be my first ever 3-stone ring (again, been meaning to get one for awhile but the stars never quite aligned for the stones I bought and projects I intended) and I am HUGELY excited!! How fragile is tourmaline? Do I have to baby it once it's set?

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, gorgeous!!!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3 stone ring is very well made by Alistair @Crystal_Dreams.
I love the way he folds metal like its a piece of delicate fabric. The ring is classic and very well made, with a specific touch.

I am less hard on my hands then I used to be and my rings look like new (or would that be because I have way to many rings:saint:). I am extra careful with my Paraibas and green tourmaline because they are so precious to be. So I pick the days on which I wear these as I never take my rings off during the day.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CD, just to let you know that the smaller oval paraiba is back up on Yvonne's page.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results