shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba identification

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

Once again I really enjoy reading the information in this forum given by you experts. I learned something new everyday and love gemology more and more!

I bought this ring in a preloved jewellery exhibition this morning. Paraiba was something I was after all the times. Although I like to buy a bigger stone as a ring or pendant, I couldn't stop myself getting this ring because of the lovely setting.

I know the 3 Paraiba come in total 0.4ct only, and I paid $1725 (11g platinum) for the ring. But I haven't seen many paraiba have this intensity tone of neon blue, therefore I think the price was fair (hope I was right).
No certification therefore unsure about origin. I was hoping that the stone were from Brazil but somehow they do look Nigeria or Mozambique origin to me. My question is , any chance that i couod identify the origin by naked eye, or should I send them for identification? Many thanks

IMG-20240304-WA0125.jpg IMG-20240304-WA0115.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring. I’m torn between sending it to a lab or not. If you got it from a super trustworthy seller, I probably wouldn’t since you paid a very reasonable price. However, the origin isn’t what concerns me as much as knowing if the paraibas are actually paraibas and not a simulant. They look like paraiba, but I’m just judging by a photo.

Even if the stones are African, the price is good, and you didn’t lose anything.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Faceted Brazilian paraibas are currently going for $4000-6000/ct, depending on size and color, so those would be a minimum of $1500 from a very reasonable seller.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, I'm not saying the stones aren't real, just letting you know you either got a very pretty ring for a great price, or .... you didn't.

If you sent it to AGL, it would cost about $100 for one to see if it's natural.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring at a great price

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely and happy ring. Perfect for spring! I would guess the Paraiba's are natural due to their size and the platinum setting.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Did the seller make any representations about origin?

It’s a lovely ring in a platinum setting. Unless you do not want to wear lab stones and/or misidentified stones at any cost, I would let it be. When you get the big one you want for that ring or pendant, then you might want a lab report.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring. I’m torn between sending it to a lab or not. If you got it from a super trustworthy seller, I probably wouldn’t since you paid a very reasonable price. However, the origin isn’t what concerns me as much as knowing if the paraibas are actually paraibas and not a simulant. They look like paraiba, but I’m just judging by a photo.

Even if the stones are African, the price is good, and you didn’t lose anything.

I'll second this. Sound advice.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn’t them being oiled or not also lean into the pricing?

Very Pretty ring!

I certify everything just as an OCD thing. But that's totally up to you. If I had to guess, I'd say natural and Brazilian. As someone else mentioned, paraibas are routinely clarity enhanced now, so that is something to consider. But I suspect it's less likely on smaller stones. In any event, this ring is gorgeous and the price was right!! Congrats!!

Maria L

Rough_Rock

Thanks i am learning gemology right now will see if I could see anything under the loupe . Very likely I will enjoy wearing the ring first then send it to a lab in the future.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Faceted Brazilian paraibas are currently going for $4000-6000/ct, depending on size and color, so those would be a minimum of $1500 from a very reasonable seller.

Thanks I really love the seller. She prefer to sell more with little profits than marking hugh selling prices!

Maria L

Rough_Rock
BTW, I'm not saying the stones aren't real, just letting you know you either got a very pretty ring for a great price, or .... you didn't.

If you sent it to AGL, it would cost about $100 for one to see if it's natural.

I do think the stones are real as Japanese wholesalers are normally very trustworthy. I will definitely look at the stone myself once received it

Maria L

Rough_Rock
My initial guess is that it's natural, because rhe stones are small, so they won't be fetching the crazy huge prices. But worth getting tested if you want to be sure

Thanks I always like to get my stones certified so my daughter won't treat them as fake in the future

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Did the seller make any representations about origin?

It’s a lovely ring in a platinum setting. Unless you do not want to wear lab stones and/or misidentified stones at any cost, I would let it be. When you get the big one you want for that ring or pendant, then you might want a lab report.

Not for this ring, the gemologist of the company (they provide jewelleries for auction houses) graded it as paraiba but no origin. I think I will wear it with joy first, may take it to a lab in the future.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
I certify everything just as an OCD thing. But that's totally up to you. If I had to guess, I'd say natural and Brazilian. As someone else mentioned, paraibas are routinely clarity enhanced now, so that is something to consider. But I suspect it's less likely on smaller stones. In any event, this ring is gorgeous and the price was right!! Congrats!!

Like you I love to get my stones certified so my daughter would know what they are after I pass .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results